Which binocular indirect ophthalmoscope to buy?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RatDoc22

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm starting ophthalmology training in Australia next year and wondered what BIO everyone recommends. So far i've been advised to buy a Heine spectacle mounted indirect (sigma 100). Any other suggestions and why? I've also been advised to get a Volk 2.2 and Superfield as opposed to the 20 and 90D. I haven't had an opportunity to use these first 2 lenses, any good arguments against them?
Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

RatDoc22 said:
I'm starting ophthalmology training in Australia next year and wondered what BIO everyone recommends. So far i've been advised to buy a Heine spectacle mounted indirect (sigma 100). Any other suggestions and why? I've also been advised to get a Volk 2.2 and Superfield as opposed to the 20 and 90D. I haven't had an opportunity to use these first 2 lenses, any good arguments against them?
Thanks.

Hi !! Congratulations on getting on the program. Where are you starting??? (We may even know each other !)

There have been discussions on this topic before. Do a search & it should come up. I much prefer the Keeler Spectra, but it really is personal preference, both are OK. Similarly with the lenses - look at the old threads - I'd go with a 20 & 30, 60 & Superfield - see old threads for reasons.
Good luck!

Welsh Allen is not a popular brand but they aren't junk, in my opinion.