Which bachelor's program would be best?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ninabug

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a returning, adult student that is looking to get my DPT. My goal is get into UMB's DPT program, which requires a bachelor's in ANY field, and a few other required courses that may or may not be required by the undergraduate program I decided to major in.

With that said, I am having difficulties deciding which degree program to move forward in. I am debating between nutritional science and kinesiology. I want this degree to serve as a back-up as well in case I am not accepted into the DPT program. So I need something that is practical for the pre-requisite to get in, but also a stopping point in case I can't get in.

I feel like there are more job opportunities available in nutritional sciences if I had to stop there, but that kinesiology would offer more required courses to get accepted into the DPT program. However, kinesiology requires organic chem I and II. YUCK! (I'll do it if I have to though...*sigh*)

What would you recommend? What is your undergraduate degree in?

Members don't see this ad.

In my opinion, you should get an associate degree in physical therapy assisting (PTA) first. Then move on to get your bachelors in any field that you find interesting and that would cover the PT school's prerequisites. Your PTA degree is your now back up. You can work as a PTA making good $ while finishing your BA/BS, get your volunteer hours at the same time, obtain great experience, and almost securing DPT acceptance if your grades are just competitive enough. This is what I would do if I had to do it all over again.

In my opinion, you should get an associate degree in physical therapy assisting (PTA) first. Then move on to get your bachelors in any field that you find interesting and that would cover the PT school's prerequisites. Your PTA degree is your now back up. You can work as a PTA making good $ while finishing your BA/BS, get your volunteer hours at the same time, obtain great experience, and almost securing DPT acceptance if your grades are just competitive enough. This is what I would do if I had to do it all over again.

Here, the PTA program classes transfers NOTTA to the BA/BS at 4 year universities. I would effectively be taking 2 years for PTA (on top of the pre-reqs for that which I am finished with now) 2-3 years for a BA/BS and then another 3 years for DPT. That's possibly 8 years. That is more schooling than I'd like. I cut 2 years off of school by going straight to a BA/BS and then to DPT.Plus, I'd be interested in nutrition or athletic training as backups to not getting accepted.

I want to add that I don't foresee a problem getting accepted. I have a perfect GPA (atm) and will take courses to help boost my scores on the GRE. I just want a backup because that's the kinda person I am :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Get a degree that will cover all your prereqs. ATC, kines, or exercise science may be your best bets.

Last edited:
I wouldn't recommend pursuing an undergrad in Nutrition if you are looking to go for the DPT. You can't find many jobs with it unless you have the RD (requires year long internship plus more $$ if you get accepted). Even with the RD it can be hard to find jobs. The RD won't help all that much with PT from a licensing standpoint. I recommend pursuing an athletic training program and get your ATC. This can be done with a BS which completes many PT prereqs as well. You can get a job that is related to PT which will help you both get into your program as well as make you more marketable as a PT. I have a nutrition degree and while its great to know a lot of interesting information that I am limited in using, if I could have done it all again I would have pursued the ATC. The material overlaps to an extent as well so you'd have an easier time in PT school because there would be more redundancy.

I wouldn't recommend pursuing an undergrad in Nutrition if you are looking to go for the DPT. You can't find many jobs with it unless you have the RD....

I agree fully with Lee9786. Although I don't think it matters much what your Bachelors is in. I know very, very few PTs who have a BA/BS in anything related. BUT if you want a back-up in a related field and want your classes & DPT prereqs to overlap as much as possible then Athletic Training or Kineisology are the two best options. As far as the APT goes - forget about it. You're right. NONE of it transfers anywhere - all it does is extend your ed time and debt. Plus, in these here parts, they don't make squat (too bad too b/c the ones I know are outstanding). Good luck!

Here, the PTA program classes transfers NOTTA to the BA/BS at 4 year universities. I would effectively be taking 2 years for PTA (on top of the pre-reqs for that which I am finished with now) 2-3 years for a BA/BS and then another 3 years for DPT. That's possibly 8 years. That is more schooling than I'd like. I cut 2 years off of school by going straight to a BA/BS and then to DPT.Plus, I'd be interested in nutrition or athletic training as backups to not getting accepted.

I want to add that I don't foresee a problem getting accepted. I have a perfect GPA (atm) and will take courses to help boost my scores on the GRE. I just want a backup because that's the kinda person I am :)

OH yeah, there's always BS in Occuptional Therapy. That's a great back-up. They make a nice living and the courses overlap - and they're in demand ;D