Where will you be in 10 years?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Browser

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
This question seems absolutely ludicrous but it gets asked. What are some peoples approach to the question AND/OR thinking about what they will be doing in 10 years.

Members don't see this ad.

I'll start...

A good radiologist
In great health
Great family and friends
+/- world domination

I won't win an academy award for this answer but does anyone want something different?

Members don't see this ad :)
If you are in Elysium.. don't worry, for you are already dead! ahah

Tell them..I won't be a program director for sure, asking applicants silly questions.

hahah shark! you have a sense of humor! I actually laughed out loud. What a funny response it would be.

hahah shark! you have a sense of humor! I actually laughed out loud. What a funny response it would be.

You laugh? Wow! I couldn't tell from your comment the other day.

In 10 years i'll have a hot girlfriend who looks at me with love dripping like morning dew from her eyes.

Otherwise life fail.

Actually ive already achieved this but because im poor shes going to dump me soon.

hmm.. 10 years?
i hope to be an attending, living in NYC, married, ??kids???... thats about it i think.

In 10 years i'll have a hot girlfriend who looks at me with love dripping like morning dew from her eyes.

Otherwise life fail.

Actually ive already achieved this but because im poor shes going to dump me soon.
lol

Whatever you do, don't tell him you'll be banging his wife.

don't say doin' your wife, don't say doin' your wife...

doin' your son?

Hopefully a faculty member at a university hospital.

These people are going to send you on your job 7-8 years from when they are asking this question. What is wrong with asking you what your goals are after residency? Programs will often respond in a way that portrays how their program can help you achieve said goals.

I think not being able to answer this would show a lack of foresight.

Yes, but would you expect any college freshman to anticipate going into medicine and interviewing for a particular specialty? Most people have vague ideas but not much more than that.

I think about it, but I have no real clue. Just far too many variables.

To my experience this question is silly.

Nobody knows what he/she will do in 10 years. I was trained in a big program with tons of residents and fellows and faculty. I saw many people who entered radiology for academics and ended up in pp. I saw many who entered radiology for only IR and ended up doing DR.

The truth is after doing it for 5-6 years, esp in this age range, you are not the same. You are a different individual. A lot of things happen in this 5-6 years of life. More importantly after being out for another 5-6 years, you will be so so different. I have a few colleagues who were in university and after doing for 4-5 year, they got out.

The truth is as a doctor in general and as a radiologist specifically, the options are so wide and things change so fast, that nobody can see what he is doing in 10 years.

Agreed, silly unimportant question but PDs ask all the same.