where will i be in 10 years?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jim Henderson

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've come accross this question a lot in secondaries and I was just wondering whether or not you could give me some insight into how the track for a primary care family physician works. I realize that you have 3 years of residency after medical school, but then what? Where do you go from there? If I work in a hospital, what should I expect to be? Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

The term "primary care" is a broad one. Generally, it refers to the fields of family medicine, pediatrics, and ob/gyn. Generally, the specialties of family medicine and pediatrics are 3 year residencies. OB/gyn is usually 4. If you do fellowships, you can tack on a year or two, but most people don't.
There are many options available in primary care:
1. Most typically, the doctor works in a community setting and has clinic and inpatients. This applies to all of the fields mentioned above.

2. You can end up teaching, either in a university medical school setting, a university-based residency setting, or a community based residency setting.

Finally, you can end up "specializing" in primary care, which I guess is an oxymoron. But for example, in family medicine you can specialize in geriatrics, hospice, sports medicine, academic medicine, etc.

So where will you be in 10 years? Who knows? Any of the above and possibly more as things emerge in the next 10 years. Good luck on your journey!

Jim Henderson, MD of Medicalstudent.net

Bump!!!!

So where are you? Now that 10 years has passed?

Members don't see this ad :)
Did this guy have a multiple personalities?

Weird. Sounds like this guy helped start SDN, (he only has ~400 posts), then he decided to quit medicine after 7 years.

So in 1999 he was filling out secondaries. Which means he graduated in 2004, so how did he practice for 7 years? Somebody get the SDN founders phonebook out I need answers!!!

The better question is why he replied to himself with a different account and exactly the same signature. Hence the reason I asked if he had multiple personalities.

Seems like it to me.
there are a lot of old threads where he posts a question and then answers it.

i have no idea what SDN was like back then, but it's not too hard to imagine a system where people submitted questions to him anonymously without registering, and then he posted them and answered them, or where he was just transferring questions from another part of the site to a newly formed forums part of the site

Members don't see this ad :)
I imagine that he was trying to seed the forum with threads to get conversations going.

Back in 1999 the site was just starting out and this tactic (forum seeding) is used frequently with forum admins.

He prob later switched to a universal signature which is why it looks funny to us now.

Another possibility is that there was a post after his and it was deleted -- thus making it look like he is replying directly to himself.

And my questions still remains the same, where in the hell is he? He has to visit the website he help found right?

I imagine that he was trying to seed the forum with threads to get conversations going.

Back in 1999 the site was just starting out and this tactic (forum seeding) is used frequently with forum admins.

He prob later switched to a universal signature which is why it looks funny to us now.

Another possibility is that there was a post after his and it was deleted -- thus making it look like he is replying directly to himself.

That doesn't make sense though. The second reply was posted at exactly the same time as the original post.

That doesn't make sense though. The second reply was posted at exactly the same time as the original post.

Maybe he simply wanted to ask the question in order to answer it... like a way to do a FAQ for the site.

this was mu conclusion as well

or what bobsmith said.
And my questions still remains the same, where in the hell is he? He has to visit the website he help found right?
maybe not... if he became so disillusioned that he quit medicine then he probably wants to stay as far away from here as possible.

So in 1999 he was filling out secondaries. Which means he graduated in 2004, so how did he practice for 7 years? Somebody get the SDN founders phonebook out I need answers!!!

This is what I want to know.

Where are you Jim Henderson???

The better question is why he replied to himself with a different account and exactly the same signature. Hence the reason I asked if he had multiple personalities.
Or how about why he has his location listed once as "Iowa" and the other time as "Columbia, MO"?

Or how about why he has his location listed once as "Iowa" and the other time as "Columbia, MO"?

because he did his residency in Columbia, MO then became an attending in Iowa.

because he did his residency in Columbia, MO then became an attending in Iowa.

But how did he do all of this (school, residency, and 7 years of practice) from 1999-2004?

Maybe he is on to something here...

But how did he do all of this (school, residency, and 7 years of practice) from 1999-2004?

forgot to mention they made a movie based on his life

timecop-poster.jpg

His website says he's been practicing medicine since 1998. I assume that means he's been out of residency since 1998, which would give him around 6-7 years of practice by the time he posted again in 2004.