Where to practice on secondary apps?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JKiran

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello. I am applying to a mix of DO and MD in Texas. A lot of secondaries are asking where I want to practice. I am interested in family medicine/primary care, but I want to personally live in a sur-urban area. I come from a city where I volunteered and saw plenty of lower income and underserved people, and Dallas has its own health issues too. Is it bad to say I want to live and practice here?

I wouldn't mind going into rural medicine and I even scribed there as part of my job, but I feel like that's only one experience I can point out. It seems as if you're interested in this field, ADCOMS want to see that you are #1 on rural medicine. I'm just wondering if wanting to practice in an urban/sub-urban area would lower my chances.

Members don't see this ad.

Hello. I am applying to a mix of DO and MD in Texas. A lot of secondaries are asking where I want to practice. I am interested in family medicine/primary care, but I want to personally live in a sur-urban area. I come from a city where I volunteered and saw plenty of lower income and underserved people, and Dallas has its own health issues too. Is it bad to say I want to live and practice here?

I wouldn't mind going into rural medicine and I even scribed there as part of my job, but I feel like that's only one experience I can point out. It seems as if you're interested in this field, ADCOMS want to see that you are #1 on rural medicine. I'm just wondering if wanting to practice in an urban/sub-urban area would lower my chances.
What's the difference? It's extremely difficult to convincingly be something or someone you are not. Particularly with respect to rural medicine, suddenly discovering your love of it when applying to schools that value it will ring hollow, without evidence to support it through your background and ECs. Why not just be honest and let the chips fall where they may?

Members don't see this ad :)
While some schools may look favorably on those interested in serving rural communities, keep in mind that most medical schools are located in urban environments. It would seem hypocritical for someone who practices in a non-rural area to criticize students who want to practice in a similar setting. Just my thoughts

Reactions: 2 users
Where did you get this delusion that well ad comes want is for you to practice and rural area?
I understand it sounds dumb but so many mission statements I was reading required rural medicine interests. I got scared.