Where to do a Pharmacy Residency?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RxRai2010

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Where is the best place to do a pharmacy residency. I know its a general question, but I am finishing up my second year of pharm school, and will have to apply for a residency in a few months. I am single, no kids, nothing holding me back. Where in the US are the top 3 pharmacy residency programs where I can learn the most, and have the best experience.

Members don't see this ad.

I don't even know where to begin with this answer. You seem a bit naïve with the whole residency thing. I'd start with the directories at www.ashp.org and www.accp.com. No one here will be able to answer "which is the best?"; that will be up to you to decide. And, if you do some digging around these forums, you'll see there isn't an objective list of top residencies, but a compiled list of top programs based off of opinions and experiences of others.

If you are a P-2, then it's almost two years before you can apply for residencies, so relax, and check out the websites listed above. You have more than enough time to weigh all the options, and figure out what kind of environment will be the best for you.

Members don't see this ad :)
Where is the best place to do a pharmacy residency. I know its a general question, but I am finishing up my second year of pharm school, and will have to apply for a residency in a few months. I am single, no kids, nothing holding me back. Where in the US are the top 3 pharmacy residency programs where I can learn the most, and have the best experience.

This will depend on what you want to get out of your residency. Just because a residency program is one of the "top rated" in the country doesn't mean you will get what you want out of it.

Speaking of top rated.....does anyone know which of the VA residencies are most competitive? Ive heard SD, Tampa, Boston. ANy others?

Speaking of top rated.....does anyone know which of the VA residencies are most competitive? Ive heard SD, Tampa, Boston. ANy others?

Pretty general/vague question there. Care to ask something a little more specific? VA residencies are in pretty high demand and so could almost all be consider "competitive..."

It wasn't meant to be too specific, just curious which ones are popular amongst students. For example, a friend up in boston interviewed at the VA there and said they interviewed 25 people for 5 spots. Therefore I can imaging they got many more applications than that. I was just interested if anyone knew which other ones generated lots of interest.

It wasn't meant to be too specific, just curious which ones are popular amongst students. For example, a friend up in boston interviewed at the VA there and said they interviewed 25 people for 5 spots. Therefore I can imaging they got many more applications than that. I was just interested if anyone knew which other ones generated lots of interest.

One of my friends was looking into the VA San Diego's amcare-focused PGY-1, and there were 100 applications for the 2 spots supposedly.

Pretty general/vague question there. Care to ask something a little more specific? VA residencies are in pretty high demand and so could almost all be consider "competitive..."

Why are VA residencies so desirable?

Many of them have great ambulatory opportunities. They also have the best computer system.

Personally I'm just not that interested by their patient population but that is getting more diverse.

I would say Indian Health Service is even better than VA as far as ambulatory care opportunities (though the computer system, unless they updated it in the last few years, was rather outdated, or maybe that depends on location), but their locations in the middle of nowhere tend to put off potential residents... there aren't that many IHS residencies, too.

it doesn't matter if some programs are considered the "best" because of their reputation. You have to find a program that will match what you want and it fits with you.

I don't even know where to begin with this answer. You seem a bit naïve with the whole residency thing. I'd start with the directories at www.ashp.org and www.accp.com. No one here will be able to answer "which is the best?"; that will be up to you to decide. And, if you do some digging around these forums, you'll see there isn't an objective list of top residencies, but a compiled list of top programs based off of opinions and experiences of others.

I've been digging around and I can't seem to come across this list.

the consensus in another forum was a list of the following programs which i would generally agree with if you're looking for an acute-care focused PGY1:

Johns Hopkins
University of North Carolina
University of Michigan
University of Illinois Chicago
Boston Medical Center
University of Kentucky
University of Washington
UCSF
Ohio State
Medical University of South Carolina
Barnes Jewish Medical Center
USCD
Mayo Clinic

I might also add Duke, Stanford. There are also stronger, well-known programs if you're looking for more of an ambulatory-focus and i'd assume the same for managed care, etc.