Where to Buy Lab Coats?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

veridianbunny

Univ of Glasgow 2014
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am wondering where to find fitted lab coats. I need one asap for labs and have been told not to wait until I get to the school or purchase through the school (more expensive and takes forever to get to you).

Would anyone like to post where they bought their favorite lab coat or what brand it is?

Also, any tips or hints as to what is needed or more comfortable in cold rainy weather?

Members don't see this ad.

If you need one for anatomy lab, I can't imagine that you would want to wear it anywhere other than in the lab (it'll get pretty stinky, I think) so rain and cold shouldn't matter too much, aside from the A/C in the building or what-not.

We have a store in town that sells scrubs, stethoscopes, nursing shoes, etc. and they have quite a few types and sizes that you and try on before you buy. I'd recommend something like that, if possible. Even if you buy online because it's cheaper you can still try things on first.

As for brands, I dunno. Landau? I just know that I have a 'Meta' or some weirdness like that, and it was scratchy when I first got it... and I had to tie the button thing in the back because it was still too big. It's soft now after washing it a million times, and I weigh more than 98 lbs so it fits too. Lol.

Don't fret too much - you won't be wearing it constantly, I don't think. :)

I got mine at a Dickies store at the local outlet mall. Just a heads up for anatomy -- after having taught the classes for the last two years while in grad school -- you will probably want more than one coat in your locker. I have four, but that is a bit overkill. :laugh: Also, spend the extra money for nitrile vs. latex gloves, it is $3.00 well spent trust me!

Members don't see this ad :)
Also, there are disposable lab coats available if you are really offended by the anatomy lab odors. I used these and disposable coveralls for marine necropsies (which have a very interesting stench due to the fat content of the animals.)

I really recommend finding a place to try on a couple of brands. I have found coats that fit my chest but not my hips, my hips but not my chest, and my body including arms, but not my shoulders, or my shoulders but are too long on the arms. Also, collars fit differently and some just rub me the wrong way on the back of my neck!

Of course, I am short with an hour glass shape, long legs, and short arms. lovely combo for any clothes!

Also, any tips or hints as to what is needed or more comfortable in cold rainy weather?

Where I am in New Zealand is nothing if not cold and rainy.

From a purely practical point of view, I would recommend a packable Gore-Tex rain jacket that you can keep rolled up in your bag when not in use. These are great for windy rainy days, where an umbrella won't work well. If you plan on bicycling, you'll want rain pants too.

Layering clothes works best in cold, wet weather. Fleece is great because it doesn't take long to dry.

http://veterinaryapparel.com/cgi-bin/htmlos.cgi/011149.3.2414412292820641874

Does it have to be a certain type or length because there is a wide variety of lab coats? Im partial to the Crest or Landau brand warm up jacket style for anatomy lab. It has snaps verses buttons and washes well without out needing an iron. It comes in either a crew or V-style neck. Then you have the Doctors "longcoat", which is typical of what most students are required to wear for clinic rotations and a doctors "shortcoat" (ie consultation jacket) which is what most DVM wear after grad, if they wear a coat at all.

Caution: Womens coats are more fitted to the body with a gathered belt in the back and tend to run small size wise. Unisex coats are cut more like the mens coats.

Also, spend the extra money for nitrile vs. latex gloves, it is $3.00 well spent trust me!

Ergh, I hate Nitriles - Only use them when working with certain organics. I've been through 4 different brands, just can't match the sensitivity I get from a good pair of latex

lol, pun not intended

Ergh, I hate Nitriles - Only use them when working with certain organics. I've been through 4 different brands, just can't match the sensitivity I get from a good pair of latex

lol, pun not intended

I use (and prefer) latex gloves when not using harsh chemicals (I believe someone showed that latex gloves lose their integrity even in 70% ethanol). That said, we will be in anatomy lab with formalin-fixed tissues. We were only given the option to purchase nitrile gloves (not sure if this is the case at all vet schools), but when working with formalin/formaldehyde/paraformaldehyde you will definitely want to wear nitrile gloves.

Maybe more $ than you'd want to spend, but I got one from here:
http://www.justlabcoats.com/

a few weeks ago, for externships, and I like it alot.

I got the CH-346-WHT "Cherokee Women 32 inch Long Lab Coat with Multiple Pockets". It was $21.xx plus shipping... but I just wasn't going to have time to get into a store and try anything on, so I went with that, and I'm really pleased.

I just asked the doctors at work if they had any they didn't want anymore. I didn't want to spend $ for a labcoat just to wear to anatomy lab but I am cheap like that :D.

Ok, not to guano the thread, but since we're talking about this... how about comfortable, somewhat nice fitting scrub pants? I wear a 33 inch inseam and all of the scrubs are too short and so uncomfortable... aren't there scrubs pant who dress more like pants?

I like Cherokee brand scrub pants - the kind with elastic in the back and drawstrings in the front. This makes them fit really well. They also come in short, regular, and tall sizes... so that helps too.

I asked a doctor at my work who is very similar in size to me, and tried on her coat : http://www.whiteswanscrubs.com/closeup.asp?cid=358&pid=718&offset=0

I like the fitted seams, especially if someone is petite, the fitted coats are less cumbersome and easily maneuverable. Also, there is a little breathing room in the cuff in case you were to wear a sweater or thick shirt.

As for scrubs - I have found that my scrubs from walmart are way more comfortable and stay up much better than some I have from a scrub shop. I have no idea how to help a tall person though, I was not blessed in that department.

As a tall person myself, the only brand I have found that is long enough for scrub pants is Landau. Their talls are a 34.5'' inseam and I was so happy to find them. I will never understand why so many scrub companies make 'tall' pants that are like a 32'' inseam tops, it's so frustrating.