Where to begin?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

zypidyo

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,
I'm an Osteopathic student interested in pursuing
DR and IR. I was wondering where to start in researching programs and whether to go AOA or ACGME. I'm from the Midwest and would prefer to stay close. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

please make this the last time you ever call yourself an 'osteopathic student.' Makes me cringe

Reactions: 1 users
Thanks for the useful response

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
The best place to look is "current residents." If a program consistently takes DOs, they're likely DO friendly. For example, Yale and CCF are top radiology programs that are very DO friendly, whereas places in California or NYC/Boston less so.

As far as AOA, ACGME, maybe you could find an advisor to help you decide on that one and any additional steps you'd need to take go get an ACGME spot.

Why does it make you cringe?

I really don't know. I think it's just personal preference. It's kinda like saying "doctor of osteopathy" to the public where the vast majority have no idea what that is. I just prefer "D.O. student." Although, I guess it's different on SDN since it's pretty common knowledge.

You could take a look at UIC, Masonic, St. Francis, UI-Peoria, St. Luke's Aurora, MCW/St. Joseph, Oakwood