Where to apply???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

maybemed2013

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello Fellow URMs,

I need help getting a list of schools to apply to.

Right now I know I am applying to all HBCUs but I need help narrower down the D.O. schools.
I know that Nova and LECOM-B are going to be on my list.

What D.O. schools are OOS friendly and URM friendly?

I have a 3.7 GPA 3.6 sciGPA 24 MCAT 8PS/8VR/8BS

my ECS are below average, I am planning to boost them when I get a chance.

Members don't see this ad.

Did you try looking at the MSAR on the AAMC website? It's not that expensive, definitely worth the money and would give you a wealth of insight because they have actual numbers like what % of their class are URM, how many OOS they accept etc... everything else you hear apart from facts already in the MSAR will be largely opinionated and based on speculation.

All of the schools I plan on applying to were picked based off info found in the MSAR.

Not really sure which DO schools have regional bias but when I applied these are the schools I looked at since I am from MS.

LECOM-B, NSU, DMU, WCUCOM (state school), PCOM, CCOM, TCOM (never heard a word so I wouldn't bother with their application unless you plan to apply to other TX schools), UMDNJ, NYCOM.

I also applied to these schools because they had a research/dual degree program or location preference for which I was interested. I considered KCUMB and AZCOM but had to cut down due to cost.

Also, don't be afraid to apply to more MD schools if you can afford it. You never know especally for your state since you have several. The FAP, if you qualify, allows you to apply at 14 schools and get all secondaries free and your MCAT for $100 if you need a retake. You may be pleasantly surprised. I wish you good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
FL is better competitive all state schools except for one FSU usually has a range of MCAT that start at 27.

Really? Hmm...didn't know that. Well...like I said, what do you have to lose? Especially, if you qualify for the FAP. It's far better to try and fail, then to not try and wish and wonder. I don't know what your situation is with the MCAT but if you feel you can do better on it (squeeze more points on the science sections), then give it another try too.

Not really sure which DO schools have regional bias but when I applied these are the schools I looked at since I am from MS.

LECOM-B, NSU, DMU, WCUCOM (state school), PCOM, CCOM, TCOM (never heard a word so I wouldn't bother with their application unless you plan to apply to other TX schools), UMDNJ, NYCOM.

I also applied to these schools because they had a research/dual degree program or location preference for which I was interested. I considered KCUMB and AZCOM but had to cut down due to cost.

Also, don't be afraid to apply to more MD schools if you can afford it. You never know especally for your state since you have several. The FAP, if you qualify, allows you to apply at 14 schools and get all secondaries free and your MCAT for $100 if you need a retake. You may be pleasantly surprised. I wish you good luck!

I am in a similar situation... minority, economically disadvantaged, similar stats (3.62 GPA, 3.59 sGPA, 24 MCAT (7,9,8) but with a lot of EC. I would like to know what were your stats when you applied? I want to apply to DO for now and try to take the MCAT again before it's too late in the cycle but don't want to submit anything for MD since I know my chances as of now are close to 0 and wouldn't want to be considered a re-applicant on AAMCAS. What do you think? Thanks for your help!

Stats-wise you have an advantage over me. My mcat was only a 22 and 3.5/3.3 cgpa/sgpa. I expected a higher mcat due to practices but got killed on the PS section so it dropped from my average of 9-11 down to 6. That was a huge difference. VR was always tough for me so I got a 7 after using another members technique the week of my test and I got a 9 in BS. It was a hard section too. My average was 9-11. I planned to take a course had I not been accepted, but I lucked up. Thank God!

Don't apply DO unless you will be happy with that route. They talk about mergers and all this stuff but realistically don't count on it unless it is in writing. If you will retake the mcat again anyway go ahead and start the amcas and submit to one school just to get it verified. Perhaps a school you will never attend or your state program. I bet your state program will be the school that accepts you unless you're from Cali or another competitive place.