Where the heck are the NYU Residents?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sivastraba

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Its friekin unbelievable. When people ask about other PM&R programs; there will always be someone that will jump in and speak about it. However, when people have a question about NYU's program there is not a single resident who will dare to speak about it. I interviewed there in December and sent an e-mail to one of the residents during the holidays and they still have not replied. People need to make their decisions on which programs they will rank and in what order. Please can anyone say anything about NYU. I didn't have the chance of speaking with any PGY-2 during the interview day which makes me wonder how overwhelmed they may be with work...

Members don't see this ad.

i agree, it is really hard to get some nyu info. if anyone has done a rotation there, can you please share your experience of the rotation and your perception of the residency? thank you, s

I think you guys pretty much answered your own questions. The program is known for its malignancy, and I have several friends who are pgy-2s and are just not having a good time. Nevertheless, as it is with the rest of the NYC programs, the program will definately fill and Im sure people will rank it in their top 4-5 at least. Its all about perspective and what you want out of a program. Good luck to you guys...

Sanchik said:
i agree, it is really hard to get some nyu info. if anyone has done a rotation there, can you please share your experience of the rotation and your perception of the residency? thank you, s

Members don't see this ad :)
can you expand on the malignancy situation?

this was the oddest interview experience Ive ever had. the whole day was so gloomy. Dr. Moroz said that residency experience there is "miserable". This was the assistant PD. certainly not in my top 5. residents all hesitated when asked if they are happy

Ouch. Dr. Moroz said that, huh? Well, here's a positive spin on that. He's now
the program director, so he can make all the changes he thinks are necessary
to make sure it's no longer a miserable experience. So far, so good.

:)

I did complete a rotation at NYU prior to making my rank list. Dr. Moroz has implemented A LOT of changes. He is very pro-resident, and is a great advocate for the concerns/ideas of the residents. He may come across as aloof during the interview day, but he is actually an excellent physician with a strong vested interest in his residents. The residents are happy. Their avg work day (in-patient) is 8-5 (NOT BAD AT ALL!), with leaving later on rare occasion. The 2nd year is in-patient heavy (as with most programs), but the senior residents have very lax schedules. I think that the reputation of NYU as "malignant" does not hold try anymore. If you have a strong interest in the program, do a rotation prior to making any decisions. You will see that the rumors are pretty empty...