DO Where should I go from here? Reapplicant-MCAT 505 cGPA 3.75 sGPA 3.6

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Autohasa

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, I am a reapplicant for DO schools and I could use some help/guidance. I applied for the first time last cycle to both MD and DO schools but was ultimately rejected. I received 4 interviews 1 MD (state school-IN resident) and 3 DO schools (where I was put on the waitlists). I believe that it is probably something that went wrong with the interviews ( I thought they went well, which obviously it seems they did not). My MCAT score was a 505 but my CARS score (121) tanked my exam despite scoring 124-127 during practice exams. Now as a reapplicant I am not sure where to go from here. My stats/qualifications are:

Major: Psychology Minor: Chemistry Graduated June 2016
cGPA: 3.75 sGPA: 3.6
MCAT score first attempt September 2016: 499 125/122/124/128
MCAT score second attempt May 2018: 505 126/121/128/130
EM Medical scribe for almost 3 years (NOV 2016-SEPT2019) (New company bought our scribe company and ultimately I had to leave)
Hospital volunteer for a year: (March 2018-April 2019)
Shadowed EM MD- 54 hours (received a letter of rec.)
Shadowed Orthopedic Surgeon DO- 52 hours (received a letter of rec.)
Volunteering with Meals on Wheels currently-20 hours so far
I have been working in my family's real estate company since I graduated college (very low scale but it is still work nonetheless but I did not put this in my application because I was afraid that it may be viewed negatively)

Interviewed at LECOM, MUCOM, Touro-NY, IU

My plan right now is that, I am planning on going back to school to take more science courses in the Spring semester and possibly get some research. Reason for this is that certain DO schools require multiple upper level science courses which I had not taken. I am also going to shadow 2-3 more primary care osteopathic physicians. I plan on applying only to DO schools and my state MD school. I also plan on getting help for interviews, just in case I receive any during my next cycle. I am not sure if my plan is good or if there is something else that I should do.

Any help/insight would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You got 4 II with 499?
The issue is defiantly your interview skills, most people get 0-1 ii, which means your app was good. Go to your school pre health/career center to learn how to act during an interview. Why are you struggling with CARS? Is English your first language?

I applied to 13 DO schools and 1 MD school and I received secondaries from all of those schools, IU does not have a secondary. I kind of figured that it was something that went wrong with my interviews so I've been trying to more help with interviews as I did mock interviews with my old college professors before hand last time. The timing for CARS is what really kills me. And I guess the way that section is written perhaps. I grew up bilingual and speak 2 other languages on top of that, so technically, yes ,English is my first language.

Members don't see this ad :)
I applied to 13 DO schools and 1 MD school and I received secondaries from all of those schools, IU does not have a secondary. I kind of figured that it was something that went wrong with my interviews so I've been trying to more help with interviews as I did mock interviews with my old college professors before hand last time. The timing for CARS is what really kills me. And I guess the way that section is written perhaps. I grew up bilingual and speak 2 other languages on top of that, so technically, yes ,English is my first language.
In suggest to apply broadly targeting more DO schools and work on interview skills, there is nothing wrong with your app.

It may be that you had not taken the prerequisite science courses that hurt your chances. I suggest all these DO schools when you reapply:
MU-COM
LECOM (all schools)
UP-KYCOM
WVSOM
VCOM (all schools)
CUSOM
ARCOM
NYIT (both schools)
ACOM
PCOM Georgia and South Georgia
CCOM
DMU-COM