where should I be targeting?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ndundergrad10

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
HI all looking for some advice.

Step 1:210
Step 2: will take in 1 month with practice test scores as of now near 220
medical school: middle tier MD in midwest
3rd year grades: mostly HP with some great feedback and high recommendations from surgical and internal attendings.
1-2 year grades: middle of pack, some honors and the rest HP.
Research: 9 poster presentations at national conferences, 2 papers as co-author in national journals on topics outside and in radiology

My question is where should I target. I have a list of someone's personal program rankings 1-175. Should I be looking in the very bottom or could I be competitive in the schools around 75-100?

Members don't see this ad.

Note: I'd love to end up in Georgia, Florida, Tennessee or anywhere in the southeast

Baptist in Memphis is a good community program. Private practice group. Good to great moonlighting. Good hospital. Not tons of residency programs. Ancillary staff treats you like a real doctor not a resident.

I also really liked Mayo in Jacksonville. Good perks. Good training. I think prestige will grow in the next decade.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks! Anyone else been in a similar situation the past 2 years?

Last edited:
Baptist in Memphis is a good community program. Private practice group. Good to great moonlighting. Good hospital. Not tons of residency programs. Ancillary staff treats you like a real doctor not a resident.

I also really liked Mayo in Jacksonville. Good perks. Good training. I think prestige will grow in the next decade.
But isn't getting a fellowship an unsaid rule now?