Where should I be applying? 3.19 cGPA, 3.57 sGPA (3.62 for DO), 32m MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

coloradoguy

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Okay,

So I am trying to figure out where I should be applying. Currently, I am thinking broadly both D.O. and M.D., but I am wondering if MD is a big stretch for me or not. I am also wondering if for D.O. I should be concentrating on the more competitive schools or not.

I have a 3.2 cGPA, a 3.61 sGPA, and a 32m MCAT. For my extracurricular activities I have done some clinical research, but at the earliest won't get any publications until interviews, I have done some volunteering in the ER and coached youth sports. My cumulative GPA is so low because I am a non-traditional student who went back to school on a science path and I am dragged down by my earlier performance. Also, I got in a fight ten years ago and as a result was suspended from college for a semester. I figure because the event was so long ago it will hopefully not be held to strongly against me.

Members don't see this ad.

MD sounds like a big stretch, especially since your ECs aren't that strong (sorry!) You could consider taking another year to strengthen your clinical experience like with some shadowing. Do you have a LOR from a physician? It's strongly recommended and often required by DO schools. If you'd like to consider both MD and DO, you should look into shadowing both physicians. DO schools really want to see that you could distinguish the difference between MD and DO, and the best way to do that is through shadowing. Check out the DO schools here: http://www.aacom.org/about/colleges/Pages/default.aspx and you could call some to ask about your ECs and how that could affect your application (your grades and mcat is fine for DO). I called a few of the schools and they were super helpful. Good luck!