Where should I apply?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

andrewe

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone! I am new to SDN as a member and I just joined as we are entering the 2017 application cycle! I go to the University of Miami (originally from New Jersey) and I am a double major in biology and economics with a minor in chemistry. I have a short preliminary list of schools I am thinking of applying to, but would like more recommendations in terms of dreams, on target, and "safety" schools. I have a 3.98 GPA and a 518 MCAT with good involvement, over 200 hours of shadowing, a former research position, and several leadership roles. So far, my list is as follows (sorry, I am somewhat of a geography snob):

University of Washington
Oregon Health and Science
UCSF
UC Denver
Wisconsin
Northwestern
Indiana
Einstein
Robert Wood Johnson
New Jersey Medical School
Sidney Kimmel
Harvard
NYU
Mount Sinai
Cornell
University of Miami

Members don't see this ad.

Get MSAR and get rid of those schools who heavily favor IS applicants. I'm sure there's people on here who could give you better specific advice, but that's what I can see right off the bat. I would also post this in the general pre-allo forum, not the 2016-17 school-specific, you'll get more people seeing this.

Good luck! Interview well, and you'll have a pretty good chance!

How significant was the research and leadership positions.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'd get rid of UW and OHSU, they seem to only like students from that region.

What about Temple, Drexel and USF (even the SELECT program w/ Lehigh Valley Hospital - it's in Allentown, which is halfway between NY and Philly and is a great area/program)?

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile app

Hi Guys, I have a similar question. With the following GPA, extra curricular and research what are my chances of getting accepted to US Medical Schools?

Undergraduate Major: Biochemistry and Molecular Biology
State of Redidency: New Jersey
Overall GPA: 3.79 or if I take a summer course can bump up to 3.80
BCMP GPA:3.70
MCAT: Taking in June
Research experiences: Three different Projects (Three presentations at Symposiums) Author on abstracts
Symposiums: 1. American Chemical Society Symposium
2.Biochemistry and Molecular Biology Symposium
3. NAMS Research Symposium

Volunteer- AtlantiCare Regional Medical Center ~180 hours
AtlantiCare Cancer Center~20 hrs
AtlantiCare Healthplex~48 hrs
Nursing home ~25 hrs
Extra curricular activities: Alpha Lambda Delta Honor Society, Golden key Honor Society, pre health professionals club, circle K , volunteer tutor at Chemistry Society of School, Teaching Assistant for Chem Lab
Physician Shadowing: Trauma Surgeon `21 hours
Looking for an internal medicine and an oncologist to shadow
Participating in Premedical Urban Leaders Summer Enrichment (PULSE) 2016 (at Cooper Medical school of Rowan University)

no MCAT = no one could possibly tell you where to apply

no MCAT = no one could possibly tell you where to apply
That's so true though! But like just hoping that MCAT goes well, does the rest of the stuff looks good?

Last edited:
Get MSAR and get rid of those schools who heavily favor IS applicants. I'm sure there's people on here who could give you better specific advice, but that's what I can see right off the bat. I would also post this in the general pre-allo forum, not the 2016-17 school-specific, you'll get more people seeing this.

Good luck! Interview well, and you'll have a pretty good chance!

Ok thank you!

How significant was the research and leadership positions.

I've done significant research in pulmonary fibrosis for a year, 7-8 hours a week (excluding the summer), but did not get published. I also had smaller research projects as part of my internship last summer.

As for leadership, I am a mentor in the Biology department, I work as a Dean's Ambassador for the College of Arts and Sciences, and I am a Foote Fellow Mentor (program specific to U Miami).

I'd get rid of UW and OHSU, they seem to only like students from that region.

What about Temple, Drexel and USF (even the SELECT program w/ Lehigh Valley Hospital - it's in Allentown, which is halfway between NY and Philly and is a great area/program)?

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile app
I was thinking about Temple and Drexel because they are close to my hometown. And I haven't heard of that program, but I will look into it! Thanks!

Hi everyone! I am new to SDN as a member and I just joined as we are entering the 2017 application cycle! I go to the University of Miami (originally from New Jersey) and I am a double major in biology and economics with a minor in chemistry. I have a short preliminary list of schools I am thinking of applying to, but would like more recommendations in terms of dreams, on target, and "safety" schools. I have a 3.98 GPA and a 518 MCAT with good involvement, over 200 hours of shadowing, a former research position, and several leadership roles. So far, my list is as follows (sorry, I am somewhat of a geography snob):

University of Washington
UCSF
UC Denver
Wisconsin
Northwestern
Indiana
Einstein
Robert Wood Johnson
Sidney Kimmel
Harvard
NYU
Mount Sinai
Cornell
University of Miami
U of W's non UiM matriculants are from WWAMI states.
You don't look much like the OOS OHSU matriculants I've known.
If the NJ schools consider you IS, you have 7 schools on your list where you have a fair to good chance at an interview.
Adding some more FL schools would be a good idea.
I would swap Case for CO and Rochester for UCSF.

Last edited by a moderator:
Aim high. I recommend:
Harvard

Wash U

Yale

Stanford

U Chicago

U Penn

U VA (maybe)

U MI (maybe)
U Colorado
U VM

U WI
Ohio State

Jefferson
U IA
UCSF

UCLA,
UCSD,
U Cincy
Miami
Albert Einstein
Tulane
Loyola
Emory
BU
USC/Keck
Baylor
JHU
Mayo
Pitt
Northwestern
NYU
Vanderbilt
Columbia
Sinai
Cornell
Duke
Case
Hofstra
All FL schools
ALL NJ schools.

University of Washington
UCSF
UC Denver
Wisconsin
Northwestern
Indiana
Einstein
Robert Wood Johnson
Sidney Kimmel
Harvard
NYU
Mount Sinai
Cornell
University of Miami

Reactions: 1 user
Aim high. I recommend:
Harvard

Wash U

Yale

Stanford

U Chicago

U Penn

U VA (maybe)

U MI (maybe)
U Colorado
U VM

U WI
Ohio State

Jefferson
U IA
UCSF

UCLA,
UCSD,
U Cincy
Miami
Albert Einstein
Tulane
Loyola
Emory
BU
USC/Keck
Baylor
JHU
Mayo
Pitt
Northwestern
NYU
Vanderbilt
Columbia
Sinai
Cornell
Duke
Case
Hofstra
All FL schools
ALL NJ schools.

Great thank you so much this is very helpful!

Status
Not open for further replies.