Where not to wear your monogrammed scrubs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sleepymed

The white Hard24Get
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm sure most of you have already read this article before, but it seemed to fit well with the current scrubs post.

When we entered into the field of medicine, we earned the unique right to wear pajamas to work. However, we at SPM have noticed a disturbing trend among medical students and housestaff: excessive out-of-hospital scrub wear. It is our belief that scrubs should be worn only within the confines of the hospital, or in the privacy of your own home. Here are the top 5 places not to be caught in your scrubs:

1. The Gym – This is probably the most frequently offending location. Let us remind you external scrub-wearers that this is only acceptable in an emergency workout situation. In other words…never.

2. Any Sporting Event - Please, don’t be that guy. Whether it is softball, basketball, or even ping pong. Unless you’re going to shoot hoops outside the hospital like Doug and Mark in ER circa 1996, there is no excuse. And don’t give us the “I had nothing clean excuse.” Gym shorts are never too dirty to wear again.

3. Irish Pub: Or any bar for that matter. C’mon guys. We all know where you’re going with that. No matter if you just got out of the O.R. or you actually drove to the bar like that, it’s still lame. To send out that “I’m a doctor” vibe when out partying, we recommend the more conservative pager technique.

4. Restaurant: This is socially and hygienically inappropriate; your scrub shirt probably houses more bacteria than a broken truck-stop toilet bowl.

5. The Ghetto: As a safety precaution, avoid wearing scrubs when wandering in the ghetto. Nothing says “I’m a wuss…please mug me” more than someone wearing a full set of scrubs. And don’t think they have any sympathy for doctors either.

Supermarket – Please! Everyone knows that the supermarket is a meat market for more than one reason but do you have to make it a cheese-fest? Leave the scrubs at home and bring you’re A-game, because there is no easier place ot score a dinner date than the place where people are shopping for theirs.
Bonus Location:

Review Course – I was astounded to see that there were actually dudes donning scrubs to a week-long, all-day review course in Minnesota.

http://www.stoppagingme.com/articles.php?articleId=293

Members don't see this ad.

I'm sure most of you have already read this article before, but it seemed to fit well with the current scrubs post.

When we entered into the field of medicine, we earned the unique right to wear pajamas to work. However, we at SPM have noticed a disturbing trend among medical students and housestaff: excessive out-of-hospital scrub wear. It is our belief that scrubs should be worn only within the confines of the hospital, or in the privacy of your own home. Here are the top 5 places not to be caught in your scrubs:

1. The Gym – This is probably the most frequently offending location. Let us remind you external scrub-wearers that this is only acceptable in an emergency workout situation. In other words…never.

2. Any Sporting Event - Please, don’t be that guy. Whether it is softball, basketball, or even ping pong. Unless you’re going to shoot hoops outside the hospital like Doug and Mark in ER circa 1996, there is no excuse. And don’t give us the “I had nothing clean excuse.” Gym shorts are never too dirty to wear again.

3. Irish Pub: Or any bar for that matter. C’mon guys. We all know where you’re going with that. No matter if you just got out of the O.R. or you actually drove to the bar like that, it’s still lame. To send out that “I’m a doctor” vibe when out partying, we recommend the more conservative pager technique.

4. Restaurant: This is socially and hygienically inappropriate; your scrub shirt probably houses more bacteria than a broken truck-stop toilet bowl.

5. The Ghetto: As a safety precaution, avoid wearing scrubs when wandering in the ghetto. Nothing says “I’m a wuss…please mug me” more than someone wearing a full set of scrubs. And don’t think they have any sympathy for doctors either.

Supermarket – Please! Everyone knows that the supermarket is a meat market for more than one reason but do you have to make it a cheese-fest? Leave the scrubs at home and bring you’re A-game, because there is no easier place ot score a dinner date than the place where people are shopping for theirs.
Bonus Location:

Review Course – I was astounded to see that there were actually dudes donning scrubs to a week-long, all-day review course in Minnesota.

I wear scrubs to the bar after my shift all the time. Deal with it.:smuggrin:

As soon as we got our pagers for M3 there was a guy in my class who started wearing his everywhere. This was pretty transparent when he was on his outpatient psych rotation.

Ahhhh, med school.

Members don't see this ad :)
Pretty funny but must say that I have definitely worn them to the supermarket and just the pants to the gym. Not monogrammed but still. I actually saw a med student once get out of his car with scrubs AND white coat on and walk into a restaurant. I was relieved to see him only stay for 10 mins while waiting for take-out but I thought the coat could DEFINITELY have remained in the car.

I wear scrubs to the bar after my shift all the time. Deal with it.:smuggrin:

"I'll also take some nachos... hold the cheese... i've brought my own!" :highfive:

I actually saw a med student once get out of his car with scrubs AND white coat on and walk into a restaurant. I was relieved to see him only stay for 10 mins while waiting for take-out but I thought the coat could DEFINITELY have remained in the car.

Hehe... I did the same thing once but with shirt and tie. Too tired to notice I had the white coat on until I was in the middle of the line at a Boston Market. I wasn't about to run back to my car.

Done the "scrubs at a bar" too. Wasn't going to go but my classmates insisted. Well, at least I threw on a pair of cargos. Wasn't sure which was worse, my scrup top or the t-shirt I was wearing underneath it.

When I was MS3, my medicine team and I would go to the bar immediately post-call and get our drunk on... we all wore scrubs. At this hospital, all services wore "all scrubs, all the time."

jd

we were told during our third year that we weren't allowed to wear scrubs out of the hospital...

I actively break that rule by wearing a pair of bottoms as lounge wear at home

Even worse, I know a local cowboy flight nurse who wears his flightsuit constantly ( Wallmart, resturants, his kids soft ball games etc) - I swear we wears it on days off.

Had a friend while I was in undergrad who was an M1 wear scrubs AND his white coat into a party one time. The kicker is he drove about 2 hours from his school to our school and said he never had any time to change or get his coat off.

Had a friend while I was in undergrad who was an M1 wear scrubs AND his white coat into a party one time. The kicker is he drove about 2 hours from his school to our school and said he never had any time to change or get his coat off.

Well, I tell my more loser male residents to wear them to a barnes and noble by the university. Then they should sit around and drink coffee and study. I'm hoping that they find some girls who can read who can stand them.

Well, I tell my more loser male residents to wear them to a barnes and noble by the university. Then they should sit around and drink coffee and study. I'm hoping that they find some girls who can read who can stand them.

Thanks for the tip!! :oops:

Members don't see this ad :)

If you are the PD, and you have loser residents, how does that reflect upon you? :confused:

If you are the PD, and you have loser residents, how does that reflect upon you? :confused:

:rolleyes:

Here is our rank list strategy:
1. MLEs?
2. SLORs?
3. Interviews?
4. Bribe offered?
5.Loser?

With it being the fifth place selection factor, sometimes we can't get the whole package. Actually, I think that's how I got a slot?!

Scrubs are acceptable bar wear if you are in a large group of work friends who just got off shift. Otherwise I agree that they are unacceptable elsewhere. That being said there are often times when I really don't care and would wear them into the restaurant/bar/grocery store anyway.

Scrubs are acceptable bar wear if you are in a large group of work friends who just got off shift.

Yep. Nothing makes the public more comfortable with the quality of their emergency health care than seeing a bunch of docs with "MD, Emergency Medicine" on their scrub top hammered at a bar.

Except, maybe, seeing a drunk pilot in uniform at an airport bar.

Come on. Does it really take that long to take your monogrammed scrub top off before walking into the bar?

Take care,
Jeff

I typically take the top off after the karaoke, but before the table-dancing.

A little more seriously, I rather like the pilot analogy. Maybe the tie is off and the hat is stowed in the car, but the argument in favor of scrubs could easily be transferred to pilots: dude was in Nova Scotia eariler today! Why does he have to go home and change before he goes out with his buds?

Same reason we should. Because people in public are going to - fairly or not - associate whatever you say or do with your entire profession. Bunch of people in scrubs at Denny's at 7:35AM, having finished an overnight shift: cool. Bunch of people in scrubs at O'Fitziflannerigan's at 1AM getting stupid: less cool.

Disagree with this one. I usually take the train to work and I walk pretty late at night to the station. granted it is not through the ghetto, but it's the city and there are "ghetto people" and homeless dudes about and such. I see them harrass the **** out of everyone walking by and I've even seen a couple of people get f*ked with bad. Never in 1 1/2 years have I've been messed with. (knock on wood) I'm pretty tall and have big arms, so maybe that helps a bit, but not against a gun or a weapon. I used to think I would be a prime target for getting messed with just because I stick out bad with green scrubs walking down the street, but except for the occasional dude asking for change, I've been pretty much left alone. I don't know if it is a repect thing with the scrubs or something else.

I do sing a mean Journey ... Don't stop believing, hold on to that feeling!

Usually I try to wear street clothes into work and then change but the scrub supply is so variable at our hospital that it often means I am trying to squeeze my fat ass into the wrong size scrubs. I don't really like to travel with a suitcase so sometimes, especially after a shift, I end up going places with the scrubs on. I don't wear a monogrammed top and I do try to keep a jacket (note, not white coat) on. I would normally be out with the nurses at the 3rd shifter bar where we are the dominant crowd at 730 am. A regular people bar, no way I wear scrubs and drink.

Scrubs are acceptable bar wear if you are in a large group of work friends who just got off shift. Otherwise I agree that they are unacceptable elsewhere. That being said there are often times when I really don't care and would wear them into the restaurant/bar/grocery store anyway.

There are a few schools that have a "Stinkin' and Drinkin'" happy hour after gross anatomy lab. At the school I went to most of us wore scrubs for GA. Nothing makes a beer taste good like the smell of formalin... kinda like nutmeg...

There are a few schools that have a "Stinkin' and Drinkin'" happy hour after gross anatomy lab. At the school I went to most of us wore scrubs for GA. Nothing makes a beer taste good like the smell of formalin... kinda like nutmeg...

Just threw up into my mouth a bit.

Should not wear monogrammed scrubs even in the hospital IMO, the plain ones are just fine.

I wear scrub pants to the gym. Comfortable as hell when combined with a t-shirt. Thats also why I lounge around the house in them as well.

I do sing a mean Journey ... Don't stop believing, hold on to that feeling!

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lfC-gLPNMmE[/YOUTUBE]

A little more seriously, I rather like the pilot analogy. Maybe the tie is off and the hat is stowed in the car, but the argument in favor of scrubs could easily be transferred to pilots: dude was in Nova Scotia eariler today! Why does he have to go home and change before he goes out with his buds?

Same reason we should. Because people in public are going to - fairly or not - associate whatever you say or do with your entire profession. Bunch of people in scrubs at Denny's at 7:35AM, having finished an overnight shift: cool. Bunch of people in scrubs at O'Fitziflannerigan's at 1AM getting stupid: less cool.

I don't have a problem with scrubs at the bar, but if I saw a bunch of rowdy, drunkards wearning them, I might change my mind. The point about representing your work/colleagues when you're in scrubs is well taken.

But going to the bar for last call after a late evening shift with another reisdent for a quiet one? I don't have any trouble with this, and frankly, the air of moral superiority intoned by some who think it's such an egregious offence makes me want to wear them more often. As long as we're all acting professionaly and maturely, mind your own damn business and wear what you want.

I actually thought part of the reason scrubs aren't really supposed to be worn all over the place is for hygiene purposes. Don't want to share all the nasty stuff you pick up at the hospital with the rest of the world (I know, I know it's already colonized your nose).

I actually thought part of the reason scrubs aren't really supposed to be worn all over the place is for hygiene purposes. Don't want to share all the nasty stuff you pick up at the hospital with the rest of the world (I know, I know it's already colonized your nose).

Eh, I suppose. But we definitely wear our "work clothes" out to the bar if we forego scrubs that day. Those have nasty germs too.

We did the Stinkin' and Drinkin' HH, but NEVER did I think of nutmeg.:eek:

7am: a trip with the nurses to keg's and egg's breakfast after third shift in the ER is the ideal place to wear scrubs, allbeit not pink piped low-rise flair legged dickies like all my company :)

Disagree with this one. I usually take the train to work and I walk pretty late at night to the station. granted it is not through the ghetto, but it's the city and there are "ghetto people" and homeless dudes about and such. I see them harrass the **** out of everyone walking by and I've even seen a couple of people get f*ked with bad. Never in 1 1/2 years have I've been messed with.

Of course they don't mess with you. You work at their drug supply store. :D

i have to take a train into work everyday, so is the consensus that i would look like a total loser if i wear my monogrammed scrubs onto the train? or is it only loserific when i sit down next to the hottest chick on the train when there are plenty of seats available and position myself so that my name, MD is clearly visible to her?

Disagree with this one. I usually take the train to work and I walk pretty late at night to the station. granted it is not through the ghetto, but it's the city and there are "ghetto people" and homeless dudes about and such. I see them harrass the **** out of everyone walking by and I've even seen a couple of people get f*ked with bad. Never in 1 1/2 years have I've been messed with. (knock on wood) I'm pretty tall and have big arms, so maybe that helps a bit, but not against a gun or a weapon. I used to think I would be a prime target for getting messed with just because I stick out bad with green scrubs walking down the street, but except for the occasional dude asking for change, I've been pretty much left alone. I don't know if it is a repect thing with the scrubs or something else.

Just to be honest though, mine are not monogrammed because I am not a doc, but I don't think gang members or crackheads really care all that much.

I started wearing scubs on first dates, I found it to be a great ice breaker. If I really like her I will sport my monogrammed cut-offs (give her a little taste of the gun show :laugh:). Actually, I'm working on my own line of date scrubs for single male residents, check it out www.douchebagresident.com.

I used to repair ships for a living and do commercial diving. I went to the local bar (where I knew everyone) after work with my dirty, greasy work clothes on. I never wore my dry suit simply because it chafes when out of the water.

I often stop off at my local pub, which is on my direct path home, to have a beer or two. I usually take off my scrub top if I have a tee-shirt on underneath, but keep my scrub pants on until after I'm drunk.

It's the attitude you have while wearing scrubs, not the scrubs themselves. If you're wearing them to attract attention, then, well, maybe you're a bit of a tool. But when I stop off at the bar it's usually because I just had a gruelling, albeit rewarding, shift in the pit and I want to celebrate a little without going home and ending up falling asleep while deciding whether or not to go back out. I rarely go to the bar after a bad shift, that's depressing. And I certainly don't go with scrub pants on just to attract women. That much. OK, maybe I'm a little bit of a tool, but I hide it really, really well.

Oh god, I'm a tool.

Forget it, geeeez.

I started wearing scubs on first dates, I found it to be a great ice breaker. If I really like her I will sport my monogrammed cut-offs (give her a little taste of the gun show :laugh:). Actually, I'm working on my own line of date scrubs for single male residents, check it out www.douchebagresident.com.

You got me, I clicked.

You were not the only one.

Won't anyone acknowledge that scrubs are comfortable, and that there are those of us who wear CLEAN ones to run errands, etc. I am not a fashionista when I don't have anywhere special to go, and I often wear my clean, non-monogrammed scrubs on days off. That way, I don't have to think about what to wear. I see RNs and CNAs traipsing around that way, why not me? I contend it is not wrong.

Bonus Location:

Oh no. It's definitely wrong. If you want to bum around at home -> jeans and a T-shirt. And jeans even have a fly!