Where does the stethoscope go?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Anytime.

I wasn't really being that mean with the first comment. This is just a hard medium to express dry humor in.

Members don't see this ad.

The WORST way to wear it is around the neck (not over), with the diaphragm hanging down, but instead of hanging loosely (the consultant), you tuck it INSIDE your button down shirt to keep it from banging around. I worked with an attending who did this- and then he would pull it out of his shirt, where it had been against his chest/belly hair, and put it on the patient's skin. Eww!

Pocket all the way for me, wrapped up and shoved as deep as it will go. If their talking, their heart is beating! :)

(...) and then he would pull it out of his shirt, where it had been against his chest/belly hair, and put it on the patient's skin. Eww!

The "tradional old schools style" is not that cool when the physician is sitting down. I'd preffer chest/belly hair rather than this type of contact.

89484782_e32416a5a9_o.jpg

Clean it before using it with a patient PLEASE! :laugh:

Seriously. We had a meeting, we voted. Didn't you get the memo? Actually, it made our class list of "Med school fashion crimes"

#2 : Stethoscopes are not necklaces

I think my class just has way too much time on our hands

I want to know what #1 was! :laugh:

Never around the neck. Sign of a flea.

As a filty filthy rich radiologist who sleeps on sheets of crisp uncut C-notes, the only thing I wear around my neck is a Hermes necktie. If I want to examine the heart, I'll get a cardiac MR...

;)
Just kidding...

Seriously, though, mines in the closet gathering dust.

Our school provides us with cheap and very short white coats. The pockets are really small. Then the old internists/surgeons give us crap about wearing our huge CardIIIs around our necks.

Seriously, as long as you don't have a belt clip it's fine. There is a girl in my school who wears one of those peds-nurse scrunchie things over the tubing or her scope. I think that's pretty stupid.

The WORST way to wear it is around the neck (not over), with the diaphragm hanging down, but instead of hanging loosely (the consultant), you tuck it INSIDE your button down shirt to keep it from banging around. I worked with an attending who did this- and then he would pull it out of his shirt, where it had been against his chest/belly hair, and put it on the patient's skin. Eww!

At least he didn't tuck it into his pants like that character in "House of God." :laugh:

There is a girl in my school who wears one of those peds-nurse scrunchie things over the tubing or her scope. I think that's pretty stupid.

I hate those things - they just look like mobile culture media to me. Can we say MRSA? I think we can! I've never seen a doc with one of those things, and I've seen nurses actively discourage other nurses from using them.

Pocket all the way for me, wrapped up and shoved as deep as it will go. If their talking, their heart is beating! :)

speaking of unwrapped, unprotected stethoscope heads...

my fam medicine attending borrowed my stethoscope while examining a patient the other day (i.e., ripped it from its safe resting place around my neck), then proceeded to use the necklace-style holding method, and in plain site, let the head of my stethoscope repeatedly bounce all over his groin while counseling the patient.

anyone else experience stethoscope molestation?

should i file med student harassment/ abuse??

my fam medicine attending borrowed my stethoscope while examining a patient the other day (i.e., ripped it from its safe resting place around my neck), then proceeded to use the necklace-style holding method, and in plain site, let the head of my stethoscope repeatedly bounce all over his groin while counseling the patient.

Yes, inform your dean that he effectively made you put your ear to his groin.

When I'm trying to beat the clock rounding: around the neck.

Otherwise,
If I'm in scrubs: R ass pocket
If I have my coat: L coat pocket

In med school, my Pulm/CC fellow never had a steth. He said, "At least I'm not a liar."

I want to know what #1 was! :laugh:

:laugh: OK. Well, #1 started an argument.

The girl's #1 : Your chest hair is only sexy to you. If you must wear a scrub top, wear an undershirt.

The guy's #1: Jesus hates clogs! The brighter they are, the longer you will burn in hell.

Most guys wore undershirts anyway, but apparently there were some upper years who thought they were God's gift to women and simply couldn't hide their oh so sexy chest under a cotton T-shirt. Think of The Todd from Scrubs. Anyway, enough girls were revolted at the hairy come-ons that their vote carried (plus they outnumber us guys 2:1) but they compromised and printed both choices on the notice. Then we pasted them up all over the med school.

BTW, Jesus really does hate clogs. Especially when people insist on buying the screaming neon green ones then wearing them everyday no matter what outfit they're in. I mean, you could at least buy black and call less attention to yourself.

:laugh:

this was just getting good!

BUMP!

A stotoskope? What's that? Oh, wait! That's that thing that ehhh.... Sigh. I give up!

People! Please! Once you're past those hotpants-type-white coats, and get a real (long) white coat, the only thing it should contain, beyond your beautiful self, is a gold Mont Blanc pen. (and perhaps a small black notebook, to write down every faux-pas made by inexperienced but eager students and residents, trying hard to carry favor with lofty attendings such as yours truly). :smuggrin:

Hey - I'm the guy who penned the How's It Hangin? piece and I'm glad you mentioned the one-shoulder style, as it's one I realised I'd forgotten soon after publication.

In my opinion, this is the most unholy of styles. It was spawned by Satan himself, as he auscultated in his Part IV OSCEs. Never let me catch you pesky kids sporting that godless style, for I will commit brutal murder upon you.

I'm doing surgery at the moment, so I spend most of my time stethoscopeless, as my consultants and regs are continually stealing it to hear bowel sounds.

Oh and for the chap who asked, all the models are London medstudents.

Good job on the piece. It was hilarious!:thumbup:

Hey - I'm the guy who penned the How's It Hangin? piece and I'm glad you mentioned the one-shoulder style, as it's one I realised I'd forgotten soon after publication.

In my opinion, this is the most unholy of styles. It was spawned by Satan himself, as he auscultated in his Part IV OSCEs. Never let me catch you pesky kids sporting that godless style, for I will commit brutal murder upon you.

I'm doing surgery at the moment, so I spend most of my time stethoscopeless, as my consultants and regs are continually stealing it to hear bowel sounds.

What med school?

I have seen some anesthesiologist residents wearing their stethoscopes tied around their waists, sort of hooked into their scrub ties. Not sure how they're doing it, but it looked pretty decent. Like a belt. This was women, no men seen doing this so far.

I wear mine in my coat pocket, but I do a loop thru and tuck the scope into the loop so it's neat and tidy and no flapping all over the place. Over my neck if I have no other choice, but me no like the neck thing. Experimenting now with the looped 'scope in my back scrubs pocket but my wallet's in there too, so getting kind of crowded.

I have seen some anesthesiologist residents wearing their stethoscopes tied around their waists, sort of hooked into their scrub ties. Not sure how they're doing it, but it looked pretty decent. Like a belt. This was women, no men seen doing this so far.

I wear mine in my coat pocket, but I do a loop thru and tuck the scope into the loop so it's neat and tidy and no flapping all over the place. Over my neck if I have no other choice, but me no like the neck thing. Experimenting now with the looped 'scope in my back scrubs pocket but my wallet's in there too, so getting kind of crowded.

Honestly, the "around the neck" look is just dorky. Try making space in your back pocket. Put your wallet in a purse :laugh:

(ok, if purses really isn't you thing, then put it in a secure locker)

Honestly, the "around the neck" look is just dorky. Try making space in your back pocket. Put your wallet in a purse :laugh:

(ok, if purses really isn't you thing, then put it in a secure locker)

If the scrubs are interchangeable inside-out, the wallet goes in the *inside* scrub top pocket. Creates the illusion I've been at the gym. Or, it can go in the inside scrub bottom pocket, but it's annoying to untie the scrubs to reach into your ass for cash.

...but it's annoying to untie the scrubs to reach into your ass for cash.

:laugh:

Somehow, I don't think the elderly cashiers in the caff would appreciate that!

So, planning on updating soon? My rhino fix has been left out to dry since last fall.

Blasphemy!! I refuse to believe that the one shoulder, or Half-Flea as I've decided to call it, is worse than the full flea collar. I mean, it's just plain logic: If over both shoulders is horrible then over one shoulder should be better. Do the math!

PS: We need a foaming-at-the-mouth-fanatic smiley

This year: around the neck while rounding in the mornings, coat pocket afterwards.
Next year: on eBay

There is only one solution. I think it's very clear.

The next time this happens, when your attending hands your stethoscope back to you, you should grab it by the ear pieces, and whip the diaphragm/bell at his crown jewels.

He will never ask to borrow your stethoscope again! Problem solved! (I am not responsible for any adverse effects that may accompany this solution ;) )

I just have an attractive female follow behind me wherever I go and personally carry my stethoscope.

No need for me to be overburdened at all times with this instrument is there? Plus, you get oh so many additional fringe benefits from this arrangement.

As an MSIV, I have given up on the whole white coat thing...mostly because I am always cold. I have replaced the white coat with either (depending on weather) a blue fleece coat or a thin grey cotton hoody. I manage to cram my stethoscope into one of the pockets...yes it requires a little bending and twisting. In the other pocket, I put my smarth phone and wallet. Since I am already damaging the stethoscope, I go ahead and use it as a reflex hammer too:)

I admit, it does take a little extra time so I put it around my neck if I am in a hurry (ie with a pt) but if the pt is talkative...I just start twisting it up in the room...it helps me concentrate....

Interesting...as the whole reason I wear the white coat is because I'm cold. I would think it would look fairly unprofessional as well as lacking pockets to wear a winter coat or sweatshirt. Why not wear warmer underclothes AND the coat.

It makes no difference to me, I just can't see getting away with wearing what amounts to athletic clothing or outerwear on the wards. Twisting the scope really does work - it can fit easily into lab coat pockets once you've gotten it pliable enough.

true...sometimes rounds do requrie a white coat...and thus I put the white coat over the hoody and will continue to do so untill the airconditioning is turned down...it is not uncommon in my hospital

And guess I should mention I even wear the jobst cotton athletic socks that go up to my knees...:)

next year maybe I will be in a slightly warmer hospital or maybe resident coats are thicker than my paper thin short coat

And guess I should mention I even wear the jobst cotton athletic socks that go up to my knees...:)

next year maybe I will be in a slightly warmer hospital or maybe resident coats are thicker than my paper thin short coat

Nah...ALL hospitals are cold, especially if you are post-call and can't control your personal thermostat well.

Make sure you order one of the heavier long coats during residency - they definitely do make a difference!

My first day on my first Ortho sub-i, an R3 took me aside and told me I wasn't allowed to wear my stethoscope around my neck. I thought he was joking, so I smiled. He was dead serious, and said, "Listen, if you want to look like you're in IM, you can go do a sub-i with those guys. Otherwise, put that thing in your pocket."

Nah...ALL hospitals are cold, especially if you are post-call and can't control your personal thermostat well.

No kidding! :(

We are not allowed to wear hoodies or any "casual wear" with our scrubs or under the coat. Wool sweaters are great for staying warm. ;)

you guys are sooo funny, thanks for making my night. been stressing too about the match. :confused:

muchas gracias!

oh, i stick mine in my whitecoat pocket...but i do wear a fanny pack (nerd!) for all the books, pda, etc. it relieves the shoulder/back strain of stuffing all those things in your whitecoat!!! i recommend the swiss army bag that adjusts to go either around the waist or worn as a shoulder bag...:horns:

So, no one uses one of these hot little bags for all of their equiptment-toting needs?
student-bag-large.jpg

My first day on my first Ortho sub-i, an R3 took me aside and told me I wasn't allowed to wear my stethoscope around my neck. I thought he was joking, so I smiled. He was dead serious, and said, "Listen, if you want to look like you're in IM, you can go do a sub-i with those guys. Otherwise, put that thing in your pocket."

Exactly what do you use a steth for on an ortho rotation?:confused: ;)

Exactly what do you use a steth for on an ortho rotation?:confused: ;)

When the residents would steal my reflex hammer, I'd get my DTRs with the stethoscope bell. And if you have a long stethoscope, it can be converted into a makeshift sling.

My girlfriend just gave me a great new stethoscope(Littmann 3000!) for my birthday. I don't know how to use it yet, but it has been a fun toy so far.

My girlfriend just gave me a great new stethoscope(Littmann 3000!) for my birthday. I don't know how to use it yet, but it has been a fun toy so far.

Don't ever leave that baby unattended....trust me it'll walk. Funny thing is, the folks I respect the most (surgeons) pretty much use the $10 disposable ones while meanwhile we're all shelling out big bucks for these cadillac steth's. Lol.

Don't ever leave that baby unattended....trust me it'll walk. Funny thing is, the folks I respect the most (surgeons) pretty much use the $10 disposable ones while meanwhile we're all shelling out big bucks for these cadillac steth's. Lol.

I'm going to have to get it inscribed or something to deter thievery.

I use the belt clip - very comfortable, easy, and totally hidden by your white coat. Putting it in the coat pocket also makes sense.
I think hanging it around the neck puts strain on your neck and is not classy at all.
But this idea takes the cake:
31952ef0.jpg

Simply drop your unfolded stethoscope into the patented pocket and :
*Eliminate neck pain and rashes!
*Eliminate tubing replacement!
*Eliminate loss and aggravation!