where does a 1st-year student begin?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bunker_hill

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'd like to start by thanking Andrew for all the helpful posts. I'm a first year med student, beginning classes in Boston next month. The ophth FAQ's page was very helpful. I'm trying to assess how soon I need to start thinking about and acting upon a career in ophthalmology. Should I be looking into a research position for the summer of '05? I think I'll have my hands full with intro classes during my first year (I've been working as an electrical engineer for 3 years). After reviewing the residency match poll data on this forum, I get the impression there is no magical formula for obtaining a top-choice match. Any advice for a 1st year student, potentially leaning towards ophthamology?

Also, Andrew, on the FAQ's page you mentioned "The Academy also publishes an introductory book for medical students." Can you tell me the title of this book? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I've tried looking on Amazon and can't find the book for sale. I'll check the library when I return to Iowa City.

I think it's never too early to start looking into reseach projects. The summer between 1st and 2nd year is a great time to participate in research as a medical student.

Good luck!

I'm between my 1st and 2nd years and I have good project going partly because I started talking to people in the department and asking questions well before Christmas break. Ask to shadow some people in the department, take a resident to lunch, find out which 4th years from you school are applying and see what kinds of projects they may have been involved with, or get to know the research coordinator for the dept. if there is one. This way if competition for limited projects heats up in the spring when everyone all of the sudden decides ophthalmology might be fun, someone may not only know your name, but will also know that your motivation is genuine and that you'll likely work hard as a result. Don't be a pest, but follow-up to inquire about possible opportunities every couple of months and especially as the summer is approaching. My experience is that most faculty members understand the importance of doing well and don't expect much before you're done with your final exams.