where do I lie?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

zama

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a pretty good step 1 score: 243. However, I did not honor neurology, how badly does that hurt me? I also have a year of neurological research in my belt. Thanks. Please post only serious comments :)

Members don't see this ad.

Im a third year too considering Neurosurg. I wouldnt worry too much about not honoring neurology...the last time our spoke to our chairman here, the only thing he asked for were my Step 1 scores. As far as you got >235..... u should get interviews. Your research should also give u a leg up.
First off, u gata go sit with the chairman at ur school and discuss ur chances and get some advice. My advice (from our chair)...try to take Neurosurgery as early as u can in the year..I was lucky to have it on my 2nd rotation with Neurology. Also, show face....brown nose....show interest...whatever they call it...go to their weekly conferences and M and Ms as much as u can, cus its a small community and if they see u are serious about it thell help you.
goodluck
timmy

I don't think it hurts you at all. At some places it might even help (as long as you don't honor psychiatry...that could really kill your application). Your score is above average. Do well on your neurosurgery rotations and get some great letters.

Members don't see this ad :)
What about a score of 220? and with researches...

220 is lower than average for matched applicants. If you are an FMG then it is quite low. Good connections can help.

has anyone from Spartan ever gotten a neurosurg residency? matched or not... but at least made it into one??

220 is lower than average for matched applicants. If you are an FMG then it is quite low. Good connections can help.

Can a good step 2 help? Say 250 and above? I m not FMG.

A good step 2 score would likely help some but not as much as a great step 1 score since that is the great equalizer. One problem is getting your Step 2 score in with your application. It's an early match and applications are due in September so you'll have to take the exam sometime in July since it takes about 6 weeks or so to get your score. Also, without good connections your application may be tossed on an initial screen because of a low Step 1 score.

A good step 2 score would likely help some but not as much as a great step 1 score since that is the great equalizer. One problem is getting your Step 2 score in with your application. It's an early match and applications are due in September so you'll have to take the exam sometime in July since it takes about 6 weeks or so to get your score. Also, without good connections your application may be tossed on an initial screen because of a low Step 1 score.

Thanks for your input. There is nothing I can do about my step1 score. I really wish to go into a good program. Feel sad....

That's right. So make the rest of your application strong. Do everything possible to look like a strong candidate. Apply far and wide and you still have a good chance of matching.

That's right. So make the rest of your application strong. Do everything possible to look like a strong candidate. Apply far and wide and you still have a good chance of matching.

Thanks. The only thing I can do now is research, which I am doing, get as many honors as I can. So far has 2 out of 3. Try my best to get high step 2...Other than these, I really don't know what to do, any advise?

Stop the BS.

The avg Step 1 score for NSG match is 234 with a range of 220 - 244. As long as you have a 90 on your Step 1, a good letter from your NSG chair, 1 or 2 sub-i's and some research with a NSG, you have an excellent chance of matching at a NSg program. What they assess you for is 'skill' and drive. My friend is a neurosurgery resident at one of the top 5 programs in the US and I can tell you that his USMLE scores were far from 'great'.

Remember, unlike other specialities, NSG is offered only at the most hi-tech medical centers. So no matter where you match, you are bound to be at the best hosital in the region.

Stop the BS.

The avg Step 1 score for NSG match is 234 with a range of 220 - 244. As long as you have a 90 on your Step 1, a good letter from your NSG chair, 1 or 2 sub-i's and some research with a NSG, you have an excellent chance of matching at a NSg program. What they assess you for is 'skill' and drive. My friend is a neurosurgery resident at one of the top 5 programs in the US and I can tell you that his USMLE scores were far from 'great'.

Remember, unlike other specialities, NSG is offered only at the most hi-tech medical centers. So no matter where you match, you are bound to be at the best hosital in the region.

Thanks, you advice is very encouraging. I hope they dont throw my application into the trash. Regretted not studying hard enough for step1, but I cant retake it. Sigh...

Members don't see this ad :)
What you really need is a good 'connection'.. You should spend sometime with a neurosurgeon who publishes a lot..

Good luck.

What you really need is a good 'connection'.. You should spend sometime with a neurosurgeon who publishes a lot..

Good luck.

Do you think taking step 3 and score high impress the PDs?

You can't take step 3 until after you've graduated medical school and are in an accredited residency program (even if it is a preliminary program). Applying as a US senior will give your best bet to match unless you are an FMG. From your posts I would assume that English is not your first language (although it could just be multiple typographical errors I suppose). Are you at a US medical school?

You can't take step 3 until after you've graduated medical school and are in an accredited residency program (even if it is a preliminary program). Applying as a US senior will give your best bet to match unless you are an FMG. From your posts I would assume that English is not your first language (although it could just be multiple typographical errors I suppose). Are you at a US medical school?

Yup...I am in a US med school. English is my first language. Sorry about those typo mistakes I made. I wanted to change it, but it seems that this forum don't support changing the title of the topic. I thought of taking step3 because I know some states allow people to take it, I can travel to those states to take it. Question is, will those PDs like it? ...

When would you take it and still have time to apply? I don't now if the PDs would like it as they probably rarely see a Step 3 score or know how your score would compare with others. I suppose it wouldn't hurt and it certainly would be nice to get it out of the way as early as possible, but I'm not sure that you can even apply to take the test until you have your MD degree or equivalent.

When would you take it and still have time to apply? I don't now if the PDs would like it as they probably rarely see a Step 3 score or know how your score would compare with others. I suppose it wouldn't hurt and it certainly would be nice to get it out of the way as early as possible, but I'm not sure that you can even apply to take the test until you have your MD degree or equivalent.

You are right, I don't think I have the time to take it anyway.

I don't think it hurts you at all. At some places it might even help (as long as you don't honor psychiatry...that could really kill your application). Your score is above average. Do well on your neurosurgery rotations and get some great letters.

Hello mpp,
what do you mean by "psychiatry honors could kill your application" ?

Today my attending told me that all applications he received are getting score in the range of 240....I told him I only have 220...he seems dissappointed a bit...I feel sad....Do I still have hope?:( :(

Today my attending told me that all applications he received are getting score in the range of 240....I told him I only have 220...he seems dissappointed a bit...I feel sad....Do I still have hope?:( :(

based on the rest of the thread, yes. based on your attending's reaction, probably not at that particular program. maybe have backups just in case?