Where do I go from a bad semester?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ashashbobash

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I'm a Sophomore. This semester I started off taking Calc 1, Chem 1, and Bio 2 with labs. I ended up withdrawing from Calc. Over half the class failed the first exam and it was just a mess. I thought could manage through Chem 1 without hs / intro to Chem. This was a big mistake, and I'm going to take intro to Chem over the summer to stregthen my background. I might be able to pull a "B" by the skin of my teeth, but Im not sure (also got a "B" in lab). I have an "A" in Bio and lab. Anyway, my GPA's sitting at a 3.5 and my sGPA's a 3.0, before this semester's grades are final. What should I do to recover? Do you think it's worth it to retake a science course you got a "B" in? Are the classes I had at the beginning of the semester an average workload for pre-vet? Sorry this is all over the place.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi, I'm a Sophomore. This semester I started off taking Calc 1, Chem 1, and Bio 2 with labs. I ended up withdrawing from Calc. Over half the class failed the first exam and it was just a mess. I thought could manage through Chem 1 without hs / intro to Chem. This was a big mistake, and I'm going to take intro to Chem over the summer to stregthen my background. I might be able to pull a "B" by the skin of my teeth, but Im not sure (also got a "B" in lab). I have an "A" in Bio and lab. Anyway, my GPA's sitting at a 3.5 and my sGPA's a 3.0, before this semester's grades are final. What should I do to recover? Do you think it's worth it to retake a science course you got a "B" in? Are the classes I had at the beginning of the semester an average workload for pre-vet? Sorry this is all over the place.
You have plenty of time to get your GPA up. If you’re truly worried, apply at the end of your senior year. That’s actually what tons of people are doing now.

Anyway, a 3.5 is perfectly fine. You just need to get your science GPA up of course. A usual course load is at least 15 credits per semester. By junior year that’s what you should be able to handle, if not more. That’s based off of the assumption that your degree requires 120 credits for graduation. Mine required 128, and some even more. Typically though it’s smart to only take maybe two difficult classes at a time. That allows for 16 difficult classes. Bio 1/2, chem 1/2, orgo 1/2, biochem, calc 1, stats, physics 1/2. Then other science electives as needed. If you’re dead-set in applying after junior year, then you have to take more. But applying after senior year makes it much easier to spread out the courses you need to take.

Your goose isn’t cooked. Don’t worry. Don’t retake classes you got a B in for the most part. If you get an A, it’ll have only a marginal effect on your GPA. Many (most?) schools average out your attempts. There’s also no guarantee you’ll do better the second time. A few B’s is fine. You’ve had your time now to figure out your study habits, learn what college courses are like, and adjust. Use the next two years to learn from those mistakes and do well. You’ve already done well overall. Just improve how you’re doing in your science courses. And make sure you’re doing extracurriculars to round yourself out. Also don’t be afraid to seek help; both for academics and mental health if you need it. Stress is a big reason for not doing well. It helps a lot to get that under control.

Reactions: 1 user
One semester does not a veterinarian make, trust me. Do you have to take Calc for your major? If not, most veterinary schools will take a lower math (but you’ll have to check with individuals schools).

Members don't see this ad :)
It was not advised to take more than 2 science classes in a quarter when I was in school. When I followed this advice is when I did best in school. I think it sounds like a normal course load. I got Bs in a number of science classes. I would be careful in the future though to know what you can handle. I had a few Ws and few retakes myself which held me back. My application was strengthened with experiences and good GRE scores but it was hard to overcome the GPA.