Where do I fall? Non-Science Dual Degree

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LuxFei24

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I was wondering if I my case counts as non-traditional?

I entered my particular college to do a non-science degree. During college I began right away balancing a few science pre reqs and did them throughout college as well as trying to balance outside extracurricular medical exposure.

I eventually added a humanities undergraduate degree alongside my other degree. I am now finishing my accelerated master's.

I am curious though, I of course did not do a science major and science constituted a consistent but smaller aspect of my overall undergraduate and graduate career -- does this make me a non-traditional applicant or a traditional applicant since it was always on my radar?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I think what might make you a non-trad is your course of studies, not what you studied.

A person who enters undergrad and studies music, but also does their prereqs, takes the MCAT junior/senior year, and applies straight away is a traditional student. It's less about them studying music instead of majoring in biology and more about their time course.

It sounds like you have finished undergrad and done some grad work and are now starting in on some prereqs. Since you didn't take the traditional approach of undergrad straight to medical school, that makes you more of a non-trad. It's that that matters more, not that someone majored in chemistry, or music, or Japanese, or Art history of eastern Zimbabwe.

Reactions: 1 user
I see, thank you -- that makes sense!

I actually did do my prereqs throughout all my undergraduate and finished them in my senior year, but then did the grad program and will be applying this year and doing clinical work during this time. But I think in that sense, I am still more of a traditional candidate. :thumbup: