Where did you have a *great* student EM rotation?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
The ideal situation is 2 SLOEs by 10/1. Its great if you can get them in by 9/15, but not always realistic. But this is the ideal scenario. The reality is, as long as you have 1 SLOE in by that time, as long as its not a bad one, most programs will decide on your application based on one SLOE, especially if its a good one. So don't worry too much if you can't get the second one in at the start of application season.
If SLOEs or board scores are uploaded past mid October, should you update programs to download it, or do they receive notifications when new documents are added to your app?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm not aware that they get any notification that something new is uploaded. If programs do, then maybe the coordinator does, because I've never gotten any alerts on ERAS saying some new document has been uploaded for anyone.

Does anyone have any tips for finding last minute aways for August and September?! I have many pending apps on VSAS but I'm hoping someone can point me in the direction of a program that still needs to fill. Come on, I know they're out there...

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone have any tips for finding last minute aways for August and September?! I have many pending apps on VSAS but I'm hoping someone can point me in the direction of a program that still needs to fill. Come on, I know they're out there...
Maybe someone in your home department has a line? I’ve gotten a couple emails from my home institution over the last month and a half with info on programs with open spots, last was Emory but it sounded like only July.

If you're struggling for aways, its always a good idea to call them and ask to be put on a waiting list, but in reality, there's no good way. Persistence and volume is the real only answer.

I had all my ducks in a row and sent out VSAS applications the day it opened in April for slots from July through mid-november...and I got offered a rotation in October across the country with two weeks notice. You just never know, VSAS is pretty frustrating as a whole, but do what you can to get an in person contact at 10-15 places and I bet you'll find something.

Reactions: 1 users
Has anyone rotated at Kendall Regional or Aventura or heard anything about these sites? Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks!

Reactions: 1 user
Does anyone have experience at Beaumont - farmington hills in Michigan? Any tips/advice would be great.

University of Miami/Jackson Memorial Hospital

Type of Elective
: EM Clerkship/Sub-Internship
SLOE Experience: Sent SLOE in timely manner
Required exam: NBME, score is 30% of SLOE rank
Interview offered during rotation: No, but granted after
Would you recommend this rotation to others: Yes

Comments on rotation experience:

Overall a fun rotation. Miami is a new program - it has some strengths and some weaknesses.

Structure: 13 shifts - 1 EMS, 1 Peds, 1 Triage, 1 Fast Track, 5 shifts spread evenly over the 3 pods at JMH, then 4 shifts at their community site (Holy Cross Hospital). Shifts are a mix of 8s and 12s. JMH is divided into 3 pods - A, B, and C. A & B are attending run and you work/present directly with an attending. C is resident run and you present to the R3. C is also where all the codes go.

Responsibilities: Students are expected to see patients on their own and present to the attending. You get first dibs on any procedures your patient needs. Students don’t write notes or orders, but are expected to follow patients through their stay. You will do a lot of scutwork (wheeling patients, getting sandwiches, chasing nurses down for lab draws). Overall everyone seemed very greatful to have an extra set of hands around to help out. I got lots of lacs and IDs, and did 1 tube. Some other students got to do central lines or paracentesis, but those never came up on my shifts. You keep a procedure log of all the procedures you’ve done, which is used in the sloe process.

Students also get a lot of academic busy work which is a pain, but it doesn’t take more than a few hours over the course of the rotation.

Students attend weekly resident didactics (which are sometimes catered with food/open bar!), and have 2 sim days. The final sim and a mock oral board exam is graded and incorporated to calculate your sloe.

The clerkship director will send you a transcript of all your evals halfway though so you know how you’re doing, but doesn’t have a formal meeting with the students - which makes it a little hard to tell where you’re performing compared to your peers.

The CD tries to make sure students get shifts with the leadership, but it’s tough to get time with everyone. I worked with the dept cheif, PD, and CD, but didn’t get any time with the two aPDs.

Overall it’s a fun rotation. The patients are sick, the residents are exceedingly friendly and excited to teach, and you get a lot of procedural autonomy. Only downside is since you don’t get to write notes/orders/etc it feels a little like you’re not fully carrying your patients. And the NBME exam is brutal.

Reactions: 3 users
MS3 looking ahead. Would like to know if UT-Houston and UT-San Antonio are recommended for a sub-I. PM me if necessary. Any insight is appreciated, I haven't found much on these two programs.

Can anyone provide feedback on West Virginia- Morgantown? Are you able to create your own schedule, what exam do you take at the end?

Anyone have any recent experiences or feedback about Orlando Health?
I’m rotating there in September, but all the people I know who have already rotated there have loved their experience. Lots of procedure opportunities and attendings seem to all be very chill.

UMASS

Type of Elective
: EM Sub-Internship
SLOE Experience: Expect SLOE to be in before sending apps out
Required exam: SAEM exam, doesn't factor into grade
Interview offered during rotation: Usually yes, but not this July

Great rotation overall. Well established, well regarded, 3 year program in the Northeast. Within the hospital, I got the impression that emergency medicine is well respected. This was my first rotation, but could not have been happier with my experience.

Structure: 15 shifts (4 overnight (mixed between community and university hospital), 4 at Memorial (community hospital), 10 at University, and 1 "synthesis" shift (where you see only 1 patient and present to faculty to get feedback on presentation/differential/plan). Shifts from 7am-330, 3-1130, 11-730am. Didactic w/ lecture, procedure practice, simulations every Wednesday from 8am-3pm. Assigned a preceptor, with whom you have 4 shifts, so you get some longitudinal feedback. SAEM exam on the last day of the rotation.

Responsibilities: Students are expected to see patients on their own and present to the attending for the most part. Occasionally, you present to the 3rd year chief residents and then talk to the attending. Basically, you look at the ED board, and when a new patient comes in you sign up for it. I wrote a note for all my patients, and got to put orders in (but required attending to officially sign them). I called all the consultants, talked to the admitting staff, social work, case managers, etc for all my patients. You really get to "own" your patient here. I did rotate during July when there were a lot of new interns (sometimes 2 interns with you during your shift), so had to "compete" for patients every now and then. With regards to procedures, it was very variable per shift. I did a lot more on overnight shifts, because there was just one 3rd year resident, one attending, and me for roughly 20 patients. I don't remember the exact count, but I got to do 1 central line, 1 US guided paracentesis, 1 lumbar puncture, over 10 lac repairs, a couple I/Ds, and a ton of ultrasound scans. If you are looking for a procedure- heavy rotation, I wouldn't say this is one. It is super variable, and if its during a day shift, the intern or 3rd year will probably get first dibs on it. On average, during a shift at the University campus (academic, main hospital), I would see 5-7 patients per shift. At Memorial (community), I would see 6-9 patients per shift.

I was fortunate to work with the associate PD for several shifts, which was an awesome learning experience. Toxicology is super, super strong here. Many of the attendings have done a 2 year Tox fellowship.

All the faculty are super eager to teach, and the didactic sessions are very interactive and span topics from EKGS to abdominal pain. We had one lecture with Dr. Bird, the PD, about meta-cognition and memory which was interesting. I think Dr. Bird and Dr. Church are both really, really good and have this program on track to becoming a true powerhouse in the field.

Overall, great first rotation for me. I would recommend it to anyone. I was the only rotating student not from the Northeast. SAEM exam was somewhat annoying and very poorly written in my opinion, but it is what it is. Only criticism would be that it is located in Worcester (about an hour from Boston).

University of Miami/Jackson Memorial Hospital

Type of Elective
: EM Clerkship/Sub-Internship
SLOE Experience: Sent SLOE in timely manner
Required exam: NBME, score is 30% of SLOE rank
Interview offered during rotation: No, but granted after

Overall a fun rotation. Miami is a new program - it has some strengths and some weaknesses.

Structure: 13 shifts - 1 EMS, 1 Peds, 1 Triage, 1 Fast Track, 5 shifts spread evenly over the 3 pods at JMH, then 4 shifts at their community site (Holy Cross Hospital). Shifts are a mix of 8s and 12s. JMH is divided into 3 pods - A, B, and C. A & B are attending run and you work/present directly with an attending. C is resident run and you present to the R3. C is also where all the codes go.

Responsibilities: Students are expected to see patients on their own and present to the attending. You get first dibs on any procedures your patient needs. Students don’t write notes or orders, but are expected to follow patients through their stay. You will do a lot of scutwork (wheeling patients, getting sandwiches, chasing nurses down for lab draws). Overall everyone seemed very greatful to have an extra set of hands around to help out. I got lots of lacs and IDs, and did 1 tube. Some other students got to do central lines or paracentesis, but those never came up on my shifts. You keep a procedure log of all the procedures you’ve done, which is used in the sloe process.

Students also get a lot of academic busy work which is a pain, but it doesn’t take more than a few hours over the course of the rotation.

Students attend weekly resident didactics (which are sometimes catered with food/open bar!), and have 2 sim days. The final sim and a mock oral board exam is graded and incorporated to calculate your sloe.

The clerkship director will send you a transcript of all your evals halfway though so you know how you’re doing, but doesn’t have a formal meeting with the students - which makes it a little hard to tell where you’re performing compared to your peers.

The CD tries to make sure students get shifts with the leadership, but it’s tough to get time with everyone. I worked with the dept cheif, PD, and CD, but didn’t get any time with the two aPDs.

Overall it’s a fun rotation. The patients are sick, the residents are exceedingly friendly and excited to teach, and you get a lot of procedural autonomy. Only downside is since you don’t get to write notes/orders/etc it feels a little like you’re not fully carrying your patients. And the NBME exam is brutal.

Just finished my month here. I agree with the above. Residents and many of the attendings are super friendly and down to earth - eager to teach for the most part. It's a newer program though you wouldn't know it - the first graduating class became attendings last month. As such, they're trying to solidify a name in the field so they cross their t's, dot their i's, and expect really great things from their faculty and residents. At the same time, it's a very chill environment.

And yes, do not sleep on the NBME shelf. It was definitely one of the hardest shelves I've taken.

Members don't see this ad :)
Posted anonymously via Google Form

Program: NJ Inspira Health Network
Type: EM Clerkship/Sub-Internship
SLOE Experience: Sent in timely manner
Housing provided: No
Required Exam: No
Interview Offered During Rotation: No, but interview is guaranteed to rotators
Would you recommend to others: yes

Program: OH- St. Elizabeth Boardman Hospital Program
Comments: I think limited housing is available
Interview Offered During Rotation: Not sure its actually guaranteed but I was told I'd be invited back.

Review:

Split time btwn two hospitals, St. E and Warren, but not the Level 1 in Youngstown. You need a car. Nice residents, really friendly. Good communication. Students present in didactics one time.

Program: MI- Beaumon Health (Trenton & Dearborn)

Review:
You go between two sites as residents. Most of the audition is at Dearborn a 90 bed ED with 90k a year. A lot of procedures to go around with a lot of sick patients. Fun attendings. As a resident apparently you do 1 year at Trenton 36k a year. Years 2-4 are at bigger ER at Dearborn.

Program: NM-University of New Mexico
Comments: Hard to find housing in walking distance. If you bring car, you are golden! Lots on rotating room.
Interview Offered During Rotation: Yes

Review:
Loved this rotation! You worked ~15 shifts which were spread throughout the ED and the EDRU (trauma bay). You were able to document on firstnet and presented directly to attending. i had three attendings whom I had multiple shifts with, which was nice for evals. Evals were on new innovations, so you could see them as they came in. You had the opportunity to choose an additional experience with an EM-Crit doc in the ICU, EMS physician, ultrasound physician, tox, or at the branch/community hospital outside of the city. I ended up doing both the SRMC and US shifts, as they were so much fun and we had time in our scheduled. Wednesdays you had med student lectures from 8-12 and conference from 12-4, which was a long day if you had an additional shift after. There was a BBQ and journal club at two attending houses, which was very fun! Would absolutely recommend this rotation to others.

Program: CA-Desert Regional
Comments: Some students used airBnB, others stayed with residents.
Interview Offered During Rotation: No, but rotation takes place of the interview (interview is waived)

Review:
BUSY department with a lot of pathology. Lots of procedures, lots of fun! Attendings and residents were clearly happy, awesome, and loved to teach. Student didactics where we presenting "Post-It Pearls" (hey hey Amal Mattu!) and resident didactics weekly.

Program: MI- Western Michigan University Homer Stryker MD School of Medicine (Kalamazoo)
Housing provided: yes
Comments: First come, first serve
Required Exam: NBME

Review:
Excellent program with an amazing chair, Dr. Overton, who is very well respected in the field. Sits down and does an advising session with every rotator for about 1.5 hours and works through a program list with you. The two hospitals are alright but Bronson is usually the preferred one to rotate at since it is also Kalamazoo's Level 1 Trauma Center. The hospital choice is made for you randomly. Downsides to the program are their poor US program with little to no attendings utilizing the diagnostic modality and the small city of Kalamazoo. Perks include their immense, longitudinal EMS experience in which PGY2-3s have 24 hour shifts once per month running medical control for the county. Resident didactics are well thought out but student lectures are going through a revision with a new rotation director so they weren't quite as good. Guaranteed interview for all rotators but not during the rotation month.

Last edited:

Program: CA-LAC Harbor UCLA
Comments: Used Airbnb, Torrance is much cheaper than downtown LA
Required Exam: None

Review:
I loved my time here so much. Super well-organized and good communication. Coordinator and clerkship director were super nice and helpful, same for everyone else. Shifts were a good mix of adult high acuity, adult low acuity, PED, and one nursing shift and one EMS shift. Also had a couple hours of sim on orientation day. Most months have a cadaver procedure lab. On shift you present first to a senior resident to get feedback and polishing, and then you talk to the attending; this ended up being much better than expected because the resident and attending both write an eval and I felt like I looked better in front of the attending this way. Patients have a super high level of acuity and are always really sweet. You get the standard mix of intoxicated/belligerent patients, but residents were clear that I should only take care of one or two of them for the experience and then leave the rest to them. Didactics were pretty solid; they have the special "Harbor rounds" at the beginning and end of each shift where you round on the patients and then go through a learning case. Conference days were also pretty high yield. Teaching on shift was mediocre-to-good depending on the resident or attending, but the rounds totally made up for any lack. Also had a super good feedback session halfway through the month where the clerkship director went over my shift evals so far and then talked to me about my competitiveness for applications. Overall a fantastic experience.

Program: Emory
Comments:
Required Exam: SAEM

Review:
you get thrown into the fire quickly, with so many different faculty and residents you rarely work with people more than once so it can be difficult to adjust to different expectations each shift. 13 shifts + 1 EMS. Get a eval from 1 attending and 1 resident each shift. Shifts are 8hrs with no overlap, quick rounds at beginning and end of each shift, student leaving presents a learning point. The volume is so high that there isn't much time for any teaching or discussion while on shift (which they admit is a weakness) and residents often have 10+ notes left to do at end of shift.

Program: NY- St. Barnabas (Bronx)
Comments: Apartments in "Little Italy" area of Bronx are close to the hospital and reasonably priced, parking is difficult to find, hospital is 20 minute walk from closest subway station or 10 minute bus ride.

Review:
Definitely see a lot of interesting traumas and a large patient load. County hospital type feel. You can pick what days you want to work, around 15 shifts and 4 of those have to be on a weekend (ever week of your month has different shift times 7-3 pm, 3-11pm, or 11pm-7.) Students distribute themselves between high acuity ED area and low acuity, you have 2 required peds ED shifts. Majority of residents and attendings are willing to teach, even on busy shifts. EMR access but you don't write notes/orders/etc. Have to get 5 written evaluations throughout the rotation (you can ask any 2-4th year resident, and must have 2/5 from an attending). Additionally, proficiency in spanish is very helpful here.

Program: TX- Christus Health/Texas A&M College of Medicine
Housing provided: Yes
Comments: Apartment with up to five people in it. Share room with one other person. Not bad accommodations.
Required Exam: In house (multiple choice, fill in the blank, short answer)

Review:
Lots of procedures to be had. Not much responsibility other than seeing patients and presenting them. Fair amount of blunt trauma and medically sick patients. Free food whenever in the hospital (like you can even go in on your day off for food).

Program: MI- Western Michigan University Homer Stryker MD School of Medicine (Kalamazoo)
Comments: Apartment with 2 students per room. Pretty nice accommodations.

Review:
Experience dependent upon which hospital you're assigned too. One lower volume with supposedly more medically sick patients. Other takes all trauma and is much busier but medical patients allegedly lower acuity. EMS shift on resident response vehicle. Ultrasound shift and teaching shift with senior resident. Guaranteed meeting with program chair for advising if coming before Sept 15 which is very helpful as the guy has been around forever and knows everyone. Pretty good academic conference days but very long.

Program: NY- Icahn School of Medicine at Mt. Sinai
Comments:
Required Exam: in-house Sinai exam, kinda hard but not important

Review:
This was Mt. Sinai Beth Israel! Pretty great rotation. Lots of autonomy except due to the EMR you can't put in orders. They are transitioning to Epic in May 2020 though and are hoping to allow subIs to put in orders at some point. Otherwise, residents and attendings are great. Had one or two attendings that I really don't care for, but no one was bad or mean. Really recommend this rotation, the clerkship director is awesome. He's a new attending and a graduate of the program before it merged with the main Sinai program.

Program: AL- University of Alabama
SLOE Experience: Sent SLOE considerably late
Comments:They give outdated options
Interview Offered During Rotation: No, and interview is not guaranteed to rotators
Would you recommend to others: No

Review:
The month felt like it went well as my first one, but ultimately they crushed me on feedback. At end of shift they would say," great job, work on x, but otherwise great job." My school eval said otherwise and was kinda damning sounding. Everyone only get's a pass allegedly.

Program: CT- U of Connecticut
SLOE Experience: Sent SLOE in a timely manner
Comments: Housing can be provided. Reach out to Locum Tenets for a great deal.
Interview Offered During Rotation: Informal interview offered if rotation goes well
Would you recommend to others: Yes

Review:
Fantastic rotation! Great residents and amazing faculty.

Program: NJ- Newark Beth Israel
SLOE Experience: Sent SLOE considerably late
Comments: I commuted 45 min a day because I had housing but be sure to do your research because Newark is a very rough place.
Interview Offered During Rotation: No, and interview is not guaranteed to rotators

Review:
Great experience. You get to see a lot and do a fair amount. Involvement is dependent on who you're working with. No computer access which sucks. Lectures were pretty BS; everyone on their phones or computers doing other stuff and it's 5 hours of sitting there listening. SLOE sent way after my rotation ended but prior to 9/15

Program: NJ- Rowan SOM/Jefferson Health/Our Lady of Lourdes
SLOE Experience: no answer provided to this question
Comments:
Would you recommend to others: No

Review:
Very much a sink or swim type of experience. Got yelled at by an attending during the first day because I wasn't checking on patients who weren't mine. GME coordinator is unbelievably disorganized; turned in my access information 6 weeks prior to the start of the rotation, followed up with IT when I got there, and I NEVER received computer access...which I got yelled at for by above attending. Program director had me going around getting him things like tissues, cups, etc during the one shift I worked with him. Attendings will go ahead and just see the patient and do everything without giving residents the opportunity to facilitate management of the ER. The residents were really cool and offered great feedback. They would be the only reason why I consider this program; I feel as though my student experience was extremely crappy, but I do not think the residency experience is the same. Residents seem pretty competent. The one thing I didn't like is the residents all seemed like they had cordial colleague relationships with each other but were not legit friends like you see with other programs. Program rotates through 3 different hospitals with varying levels of volume and patient types. I felt like all that matters to that hospital system is meeting benchmarks and getting good patient approvals. Didactics are pretty unremarkable. For a 20 year old program, I simply expected more. I didn't feel welcomed like I did with every other place I rotated at. The SLOE process is abysmal. You're expected to just find an attending willing to write you a SLOE; the attending I wanted to ask was already bombarded with 20 other SLOEs to write so I didn't even bother asking him. And not all attendings will write SLOEs. Since it's Rowan's GME coordinator who makes your schedule, you're not even guaranteed to be scheduled with someone who will write you one.

Program: OH- Doctor's Hospital/OH Health Program
Type: Ultrasound
Comments: Easy to find and reasonable in price
Interview Offered During Rotation: 4 week rotations will have interviews while they are there; 2 weekers are guaranteed but not necessarily during the rotation. This may be different later in the season though.

Review:
Loved this rotation! All of the residents are very cool and are so passionate about teaching. They all take the time to sit with students and directly involve them in patient care. The facilities are immaculate; their sim lab is second to none. Several graduates of the program have stayed on as attendings. Didactics are amazing; a good mix of lecture and hands on activities. I truly feel like the attendings here are the top of the field and they are all fully invested in providing training that goes above and beyond. Patient volume is solid; no penetrating traumas (well very little) as Columbus has one of the busiest trauma centers in the country down the street. If they accept you for a rotation, you meet their objective standards. They are very focused on determining whether you are a good personality fit. The residents as a whole are very close friends and hang out often outside of work.

Program: FL- Mt. Sinai (Miami Beach)
Comments: On your own
Required Exam: House exam, 10ish questions, not hard

Review:
So I heard a lot of mixed reviews on the place and honestly wasn't sure how it'd go. It's 10 10 hour shifts with mainly residents and a couple of 1on1 shifts with an attending. Overall though, I had a great experience. Residents were plenty nice and welcoming as were the attendings I worked with. My only gripes are that there were too many students my month, there's basically zero trauma, and though busy patients are not always super high acuity. A true bread and butter place for community though, and definitely the best program out of all south Florida considering they actually have their ish together somewhat. They're the OG program in the area and it shows by comparison.

Program: UT- University of Utah
Comments: On your own

Review:
I highly recommend this Sub-I. I had a great deal of autonomy at both of the sites. You rotate at the U of U hospital and the IMC ED. At the U of U ED you work with residents and attendings all of which treat you like interns. Plenty of opportunity to do procedures. Surgery runs trauma and ED gets airway. They let me run head of bed during multiple trauma 2s. Medium sized ED with 40 beds but very busy most days. Residents see most of the patients in the ED. All of the attendings and residents are very willing to teach and discuss management plans. Staff is very welcoming and friendly. At the IMC location they are fully staffed without the need for residents which translates to you being able to cherry pick your patients as a student and resident to optimize learning. Students didnt write notes at IMC so you had time to see many patients. Attendings are community physicians which provides a different environment and approach which I feel is valuable in training. Most were interested in teaching and I felt very autonomous and engaged. You attend all resident conference 8am-1pm once per week. 17 shifts + 1 nursing shift. Very busy month overall, but very enjoyable experience.

Program: NJ- St. Joseph's University Medical Center
Comments: Can be expensive because of proximity to NYC

Review:
St Joe's really is a hidden gem, would highly recommend. They have an absurd volume with a good mix of trauma and very high acuity medical. I never had a single attending I didn't like and the residents love to teach as much as faculty. They're really big on getting attending and resident feedback about you on every shift and then at the end you meet with the clerkship director who goes over all your feedback and the grade they're giving you.

Program: NY- NYCOMEC (Middletown)
Comments:

Review:
ORMC is a newish program but with strong faculty and great volume. The trauma numbers are a little lacking but they see super high acuity medical patients all day long. PD is a little standoffish and hard to read. Residents are mostly excellent and weekly didactics are very good. The chief residents are phenomenal; flexible, easy to get in touch with anytime, and always looking for feedback.

Program: CA- UC San Francisco/Fresno
Comments: 400 for the month I think

Review:
Excellent experience. APD is the clerkship director. She's excellent. Most of the faculty is excellent. Everyone seems happy. Tons of cool pathology, and they are all about you getting in on procedures including intubations. 16 shifts, 13 with evals. A third of those are student shifts where it's 4 students with one attending and you get nothing but face time. Really fun, although you don't see many patients. A third are low acuity where you are acting intern, picking up patients, presenting to attending, doing everything, and picking up procedures that pop up around the department. A third are high acuity/trauma where you get a lot of procedures, lac repairs, reductions but don't really have much autonomy. The SLOE was SUPER fast, there was midpoint feedback that was actually helpful, no exams, but there is a quick final presentation.

Program: FL- Advent Health Orlando
Comments:

Review:
ample time to work with both residents and faculty. Peds ED experience included. Food not included but sometimes the doctors will take you to the doctors lounge. mandatory didactics every thursday with simulation experience 2 of the weeks. Provides helpful med rotation feedback with clerkship director. Require case presentation at the end of rotation for students.

Program: SUNRISE HEALTH (MoutainView Hospital) IN LAS VEGAS, NV
Comments:

Review:
15 ten hour shifts but the residents stop taking patients 2 hours before their shift ends to finish writing notes so they sometimes let you go after like 9 hours. Lots of procedure opportunities if lucky. Was able to do an intubation and central line. You work with the residents but they all will let you present to an attending so you can get exposure with them too. Monday didactics that include reading 3-4 articles on different pathologies and discussing them with the residents and attendings. Then a student didactic in the afternoons ran by the residents with just the medical students. Flexible in terms of scheduling if you need to switch days around. All the residents and attendings were really nice and welcoming.

Program: IL- Cook County (Chicago)
Comments:
Interview Offered During Rotation: No, although it sounds like this will be changing to Yes in the future

Review:
I loved the program at County. Each shift is quite attending dependent but most will give you a fair amount of autonomy. County has a separate trauma bay which you will not be scheduled to have any shifts on. If you ask Dr. Dyer (the coordinator) he will schedule you an observation shift that you can go to trauma and see how it all runs. Otherwise, if a trauma comes in while you are on shift sometimes you get the opportunity to go over and see it. County also has a separate Peds ED that you are not scheduled any shifts on. Again, if you ask, you can get a shift over there. I got to do a fair amount of lac repairs, assist with some a-lines, and help with some procedural sedation. Overall, not a ton of procedures, but this will depend on what comes in during your shifts. The residents are all fantastic and are super competent. All of the ones that I worked with were super willing to teach and happy to answer any questions and let me help out when needed. You will write notes for each of your patients and your notes actually matter depending on the attending. You can submit orders however they all have to be co-signed by a resident or attending so sometimes they will just ask you to tell them the orders you want. The PD is awesome and seems to really advocate for his residents. He is also willing to sit down with the rotators to look over your ERAS application and personal statement. Your attending or senior resident submits an eval on the computer for you at the end of each shift.

Program: MO- University of Missouri Kansas City
Comments: Used Rotating Room

Review:
Great experience overall. They use Cerner, which is fine enough. High level trauma and a true gun and knife club. Overall a very county-feel hospital with poorer access to resources, which I saw as a positive as it pushes your training further. Great social worker and good access to psych help to avoid prolonged boarding. Will rank it highly because I can tell I will learn how to be a badass there.

Program: NM- University of New Mexico School of Medicine
Comments: Rotating Room

Review:
excellent, welcoming ED

Program: NY- NY Presbyterian Hospital
Comments: Expensive

Review:
This is a pretty shift-intesive rotation. Working 15 clinical shifts plus 4 full days of conference was definitely tiring. Especially because the shifts were 12s, 10s, and 8s all mixed up. You split time between the Columbia and Cornell hospitals which are not super close to each other. Overall, the attendings and residents are willing to teach and make an effort to teach and give feedback during shifts. Again, like most places, each shift is attending dependent. At NYP, you can only enter free-text notes in the EMR which don't really matter for anything and you cannot enter orders. They use Allscripts for their EMR which I personally think is super confusing and a pretty bad system. Columbia is busier than Cornell and has a much poorer patient population. I felt like I was given a bit more autonomy at Columbia vs Cornell. This is the hospital where you somewhat get the County feel. Cornell has a lot of families who have good access to healtchare and know all of their meds and all of their doctors. These are the patients that frequently have the weird zebra diagnoses which can make their care challenging. Cornell is a level 1 trauma center but Manhattan doesn't see a ton of trauma altogether. If you're interested in going to NYC or the northeast for residency, I think NYP is a good place to rotate to get a feel for it. Also, they have a new program director starting this September who is apparently pretty great so that could make for good changes down the road. Also also, they assign you a faculty mentor here that you will work at least 1 shift with and meet with for mid-rotation feedback and this person is the one who writes your SLOE using feedback from the other attendings. I think this is a good way to ensure that the letter-writer actually knows you and can write a personalized letter.

Comments: 3 bed/2 bath apt. you share with 5 other students of varying specialties

Review:
I had a great experience, but the hospital they schedule you at definitely makes a huge difference (Bronson vs. Borgess). The residency classes are huge (was 20 per class, now down to 16), which is great for finding "your people." Most of the residents were awesome about trying to get to know you, help you out and find cool stuff for you to get involved with on shift, which I really appreciated. The group expects you to work hard and be proactive with seeing patients and learning. Not much teaching on shift with the high patient volume. Procedures are hit or miss depending on the attending's comfort, but typically if you're prepared, you'll get to do plenty (even intubations, LPs, etc.). We didn't have much interaction with the program leadership other than the required advising meeting with the Chair, Dr. Overton, so that was kind of disappointing. The rotation was pretty poorly organized and the communication regarding required activities, assignments and meetings was subpar (students often had no idea what was going on). My group had zero feedback provided regarding our clinical performance, but the clerkship director is new so hopefully that will improve. Kalamazoo as a city is relatively boring other than the variety of breweries and coffee shops downtown, but I'd tolerate living there for a few years for residency. Overall, the people are great, tons of pathology to see on shifts, and their SIM labs are dope.

Last edited:

Program: CA- UCLA David Geffen/Olive View
Comments: None provided

Review:
What an incredible away rotation. You work 10 shifts and have no exam at the end. Residents and the attendings are fantastic and you are 100% treated like part of the team. Rotators feel valued and you have an interview at the end. I rotated at two other places and this was by far the best experience. Olive View is an awesome site and Reagan is the main ER, which is small but super new with great support staff. 10/10

Last edited:
Working 15 clinical shifts plus 4 full days of conference was definitely tiring. Especially because the shifts were 12s, 10s, and 8s all mixed up.
I know everyone here is a student, and you are here for reviews on these programs... but I will just forewarn you, 15 shifts/month is extremely cush. I would say most residencies are requiring residents work anywhere from 18-23/shifts per month depending on the program and PGY year. Conference days don't fall into that. I'm not sure what the requirements are for away rotators, but for a resident, conference is optional (especially if you worked overnight) as long as you have some X percentage of conference attendance throughout the year.

I know everyone here is a student, and you are here for reviews on these programs... but I will just forewarn you, 15 shifts/month is extremely cush. I would say most residencies are requiring residents work anywhere from 18-23/shifts per month depending on the program and PGY year. Conference days don't fall into that. I'm not sure what the requirements are for away rotators, but for a resident, conference is optional (especially if you worked overnight) as long as you have some X percentage of conference attendance throughout the year.

23 shifts a month?!?

Side note, I think the number of shifts get discussed a lot when comparing residencies, but I don't think it always compares apples to apples. Some places base their shift count on a four week block, not a 31 day period (which gives you 3 more days off than a 4 week block). Shifts can range from 8 to 12 hours, and I assure you 20 12's are not the same as 20 8's. I think hours/week is more accurate assessment of workload.

Two programs could advertise that interns work 20 shifts on EM rotations, but could have considerably different number of hours in their workload.

Program A: 20 12hr shifts in a 4 week block = 60 hours a week
Program B: 20 9 hr shifts in a 31 day period = 40 hours a week

That's... a huge difference! And if a reasonable workload / time off / work-life balance is really important to you, you definitely need to consider shift length (and to a lesser extent month vs 4 week blocks) into account when comparing programs for your list. It can make a way bigger difference in your workload than you'd think.

23 shifts a month?!?
Much like other people here, I only did residency at one place so I have no other first-hand points of comparison, but I did on average 22 or 23 shifts per 4 week block, plus 5hrs of conference once a week. Shifts were 8 or 9 hour shifts depending on the shift.

I certainly wouldn't want to do that now as an attending, but I also wouldn't trade the training I received and it honestly didn't seem unmanageable at the time.

On the other end of the spectrum, I don't understand cush programs. I distinctly remember ranking UConn low on my list because the residents said they worked 16 8s a month. That's what I work now as an attending. Yeah, that would be relaxing, but I also would have been an attending there at the same level of experience that I was as at the end of my 2nd year (based purely on hours worked).

I'm not saying you should go to a meat grinder of a program, but I think that super cush programs are also seriously flawed for very different reasons.

Reactions: 3 users
Isn't there a max on the time you can work as a resident? Isn't it defined in the RRC?

I remember reading more than once, and being told, that we did max time where I went to residency. 20-12s per 4 weeks

Also, the responsibilities to residents is not the same as med student rotators. For one your not even a doctor yet. Kind of limits what they are allowed to do (and rightfully so)

Much like other people here, I only did residency at one place so I have no other first-hand points of comparison, but I did on average 22 or 23 shifts per 4 week block, plus 5hrs of conference once a week. Shifts were 8 or 9 hour shifts depending on the shift.

I certainly wouldn't want to do that now as an attending, but I also wouldn't trade the training I received and it honestly didn't seem unmanageable at the time.

On the other end of the spectrum, I don't understand cush programs. I distinctly remember ranking UConn low on my list because the residents said they worked 16 8s a month. That's what I work now as an attending. Yeah, that would be relaxing, but I also would have been an attending there at the same level of experience that I was as at the end of my 2nd year (based purely on hours worked).

I'm not saying you should go to a meat grinder of a program, but I think that super cush programs are also seriously flawed for very different reasons.

I agree about too few being problematic, I just think there has to be a happy medium. I personally think 23/4wks is way too much, but I also think 16 8’s a month is way too low. Years ago when I first got to my current job the residents worked all 16 9s regardless of class per month. I thought the shift counts were way too low and lobbied to increase them because I thought being too low was a detriment to their education. So I definitely think there is a reasonable amount of work as a resident to where you have enough time off to both recover and do your non-clinical duties outside of work.

When I was in training my residency worked 20-19-18, all 10s, per month and I thought that was reasonable. My residents in my program now work 20-19-18, all 9s, per month and I think thats reasonable. Maybe my opinion is colored by where I trained as what I think is normal or appropriate, perhaps, but I think it strikes a happy medium between being too many and too little.

Reactions: 2 users
Isn't there a max on the time you can work as a resident? Isn't it defined in the RRC?

I remember reading more than once, and being told, that we did max time where I went to residency. 20-12s per 4 weeks

Also, the responsibilities to residents is not the same as med student rotators. For one your not even a doctor yet. Kind of limits what they are allowed to do (and rightfully so)

Yes, 60hr/wk. Which is 20 12s in a 4 week block. Thats the ACGME max for EM months.

Reactions: 1 users