Where did you all match?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MSKalltheway

I got the magic stick
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Alright everyone, we want to know who is where!

I'm gonna be a Kessler resident!!!!!!!!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats to all who matched!! :)
Hope to be in your shoes next year! :xf:

Congrats all!

Tenacious, if you want any questions about Michigan answered with outdated information, PM me :laugh:

Columbia-Cornell!!!

someone pinch me but it says RIC!

I didn't sleep tip 5am, dropped iphone in the atlantic ocean, got sunburned, rained on... and had to call my friend to check my match from the boat -->

matching at my number 1 = big smile on my face :)

someone pinch me but it says RIC!

I didn't sleep tip 5am, dropped iphone in the atlantic ocean, got sunburned, rained on... and had to call my friend to check my match from the boat -->

matching at my number 1 = big smile on my face :)

Wow, Congratulations! RIC is an awesome place!

Members don't see this ad :)
RIC!

temple prelim.

so incredibly psyched.

congrats, everyone!

Congratulations to all who matched!:thumbup:

Welcome to the fascinating world of PM&R!:D

First of all, congratulations on all of the UNBELIEVABLE matches - this thread seems to be full of rock stars! As a soon-to-be PM&R applicant, reading this thread is certainly encouraging!

Now, while I do not want to hijack this thread, and moderators feel free to deem this unnecessary (my feelings won't be hurt), I was wondering if the latest round of MS4s would be willing to start doing something similar to what I saw in the Internal Medicine thread and fill in the following:

1. Matching hospital/university
2. Your home institution
3. Your statistics (board scores, class rank, etc.)/honors
4. Research experience and/or ECs
5. Any pearls of wisdom to future doctors

If not, no worries at all - just thought I'd throw it out there!

Once again, congratulations to the MS4s and best of luck in the your future endeavors! I look so forward to being in your shoes this time next year!!!

University of Washington! Congrats everyone!

1. Matching hospital/university

Kessler (UMDNJ-NJMS)

2. Your home institution

University of Maryland

3. Your statistics (board scores, class rank, etc.)/honors

I'll keep the details of this to myself, since I have several classmates who look at, and also some who post on this board. I'm also not anonymous to several others too. However, I will say I'm a pretty average student grades and scores wise with pretty good evals and excellent letters (or so I was told on my interviews, I didnt see them of course so I cant evaluate that). Can PM with details.

4. Research experience and/or ECs

Three research projects since undergrad, no pubs. Several volunteer activities (4-5? Dont remember what I put on my CV anymore), RIC externship, founder of our Rehab Interest Group which is still fortunately very active

5. Any pearls of wisdom to future doctors

-Since its med school, everyone works hard, but work smart also
-Be a person that everyone wants to hang out with, being liked is probably more important than your knowledge base, as a med student at least...everyone knows you come into your PM&R rotations knowing nothing about it
-I should probably say this considering some of the bad habits Ive seen on rotations, even on PM&R rotations from people who wanted to go into this field. Although it should be obvious, the following is mandatory: show up early, stay late, dont be late, read nightly, demonstrate that you read nightly, offer to do everything within reason, be enthusiastic, ask questions, dont ask too many questions, be independent, be thorough

All in all, I've fooled a lot of people into giving me a medical degree and a residency position. Hopefully I can keep this going for a while :cool:

Last edited:
Going to Johns Hopkins!! :) Anyone who has trained there or is training there currently please PM me, I am looking forward to hear from ya.

thanks and congrats everyone!

Congrats to all and welcome to the family!

Mayo matchers feel free to contact me, I'll be one of your seniors when u get here.

Columbia-Cornell!!!

Congratulations everybody on the next stage of "lifelong-learning"!! No, it doesn't end after medschool, but take a well-deserved break before PGY-1!
Congratulations to you Deigo, and also to the seniors you will eventually be replacing:
Fellow: Spinal Cord Injury, Rehabilitation Institute of Chicago/ Northwestern
Fellow: Sports and Spine, Rehabilitation Institute of Chicago/ Northwestern
Attending, General: Mount Ascutney/Dartmouth Hitchcock Medical Center
Fellow: Interventional Spine and Sports, Hospital for Special Surgery
Fellow: Spine & Sports Physiatrists, S.C. Illinois
Fellow: Cancer Rehabilitation, Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center
Fellow: Interventional Spine and Sports, University of Pennsylvania
Fellow: Interventional Spine, Medical College of Virginia/ VCU

Last edited:
How competitive of a field has PM&R becomes recently. Ive heard its getting up there with radiology and others in terms of competitiveness. Any thoughts?

How competitive of a field has PM&R becomes recently. Ive heard its getting up there with radiology and others in terms of competitiveness. Any thoughts?

Highly doubt PM&R is near radiology's competitiveness overall.

@ a top program, maybe.

Simply, no. I would not have matched at an excellent Radiology program. They probably based it on the # of scramble spots or something, which were not many! It's getting more competitive, but by no means should it be compared to fields like Rads or Ortho.

That said, despite the low average Step 1 score, it's not a cake walk. You need to demonstrate considerable interest, enthusiasm and knowledge for the field. Otherwise, even the best applicant numbers wise runs the risk of not matching.

Last edited:

Here's my opinion... That's a stretch, I think. I know a few people who matched into top PM&R programs and several people who matched into radiology programs ranging from average-to-best, and here's my view:

The radiology people had much higher board scores and grades. The best-of-the-best radiology folks all had the research and extracurriculars too, at least on paper. They're notorious for "padding" their resumes with insincere club positions, presentations, etc.

The PM&R applicants who matched into great programs had better-than-average test scores and grades (but not usually as good as the radiology guys), but way more extracurriculars and research. At one PM&R interview, I remember that at least 3 of 7 interviewees were former NCAA Division I athletes, for example, but didn't tout it. From my small sample size, the PM&R folks were much more personable and thus probably better interviewers as well.

So, in all, I'd say that PM&R still is not as competitive as radiology in the "standard" way (grades, test scores, AOA, etc.), but the applicants are much more well-rounded and sincere.

Better looking too. :)

--I should probably say this, but considering things Ive seen on rotations, even on PM&R rotations from people who wanted to go into this field, this following is mandatory: show up early, stay late, dont be late, read nightly, demonstrate that you read nightly, offer to do everything within reason, be enthusiastic, ask questions, dont ask too many questions, be independent, be thorough

All in all, I've fooled a lot of people into giving me a medical degree and a residency position. Hopefully I can keep this going for a while :cool:

Since I know your PD (PM me for more details), I know that if you keep up that same work ethic, you will do great.

One of the things that most people don't understand (outside of medicine at least), is that the information necessary to be a good physician is not that difficult. The problem is in volume. There are only so many hours in a day. If you want to learn a lot, and be a great physician (aspiring to good is not sufficient), then do exactly what MSKalltheway says.
:thumbup:

Very curious to know who else is going to RIC (maybe we met on interviews?). I don't (personally) like putting down names on public posts, but if anyone who matched at RIC wants to say hi, PM me and I'd love to share the excitement. :)
Otherwise, see ya in a year!