Where Class of 05 should be

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

blee321

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
This is my first post at sdn, being a concerned pre-med student I was wondering if anyone with more advanced knowledge about the application process where a junior (class of 05) in college who had completed all of her/his aamc class requirements should be prepairing for. If anyone could assist me I would be greatfull.
Thanks

Brian

Members don't see this ad.

1. If you are not, make sure that you are getting clinical experience.
2. Consider research possibilities.
3. Take a practice MCAT to see where you stand. Consider your learning style / study skills / money situation and think about MCAT prep courses. They are definitely NOT necessary, but they help some people focus on studying.
4. Start researching which schools you will apply to. Find out each school's recommendation letter requirements and make sure you have people who can write meaningful letters for you.
5. Maybe start considering your personal statement. In general, the more thought you put into it, the better it will be.
6. Concentrate on your grades. Don't let them slip this close to the "end."

I guess that is all I can think of right now. Back to studying all night for my parasitology test. Good luck.

I've got all that under the belt, but! for the exception of the personal statement. I've tried to write it but I always freeze. I don't know where to go. Does anyone have any sugestions/ examples of? Gratzi

B

Members don't see this ad :)
i mean basically you should knwo why you want to be a doctor....

so go with that theme. brainstorm if you have to. why and what events led you to the decision of going through this grueling process?

once you get comfortable being able to express why it is medicine is for you....then the outline of your paper should be all set.

There are many good reasons why any one person would want to get into medical school and become a physician. I'm sure they would write a great essay and have great reasons for wanting to pursue medicine, but I really want to know what medical schools want to hear. Does anyone know? And I still need some help with that personal statement... :(+pissed+

I would start saving money if I were you. It is incredibly expensive, and if you don't have rich parents it can break you.
It not very desirable to take out loans due to the quasi-random nature of admissions. Good luck.

For help on your personal statement, drop by your local bookstore and see what they have. I picked up one of those books that was titled something like "Essays that will get you into medical school." It actually had a lot of good advice. The important thing to remember while writing it is that you must be yourself and be honest. If you lie or fudge to try to get in, it will be obvious when you're asked about it at the interviews.

wow thanks, any title sugestions?

The one I used was actually titled exactly as put it above. It was put out by Barron's. It has some tips on interviewing too, and has like 40 sample essays.