Where are They Now? The 2008 Match

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

med2UCC

Relentlessly Optimistic
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Folks. Thought I would kick off this year's round of "where are we all going" by telling you that I matched to my 1st choice program in Family Medicine on beautiful Cape Breton Island (probably because no other IMG in the world even knows where Cape Breton is, but that's OK). I'm going home. So, how did everyone else do?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Hi Med2UCC,

You picked a great program. I did my PGY-1 in Cape Breton family med about five years ago (before discovering I wasn't meant to be a family doctor :laugh:). But the program was great. The family physicians are fully competent and have a magnificent breadth of skills, and they're happy to teach you whatever you want to learn.

I worked with the Ellerkers in Glace Bay (their clinic was on Sterling Road near the Sterling Mall) - I don't know if they're still there, but they were great. Even the surgeons were fabulous people!

Have a blast on the island! I hope to go back there to practice someday!

Thanks. It's good to hear good things about the program from someone who trained there for a time. I grew up in Cape Breton, in Sydney, and did my elective there this summer, so I can hardly wait to go home finally, after far too many years away. It was such a contrast to work with people who really wanted to teach me skills, and who were willing to let me make mistakes and learn how to do things my own way, rather than either making me watch all the time or trying to make me fit into their mold. I am feeling really positive about the program, and too excited to sleep even though I have just done 10 hours overnight on the labour ward (and delivered 3 babies, and assisted in a section with one of the few consultants who likes to teach).
Anyway, thanks again,
M

Forgot to mention, we have one confirmed match to IM at McMaster as well.

Everyone matched at RCSI. (The 5 that were in 1st round CaRMS.)
IM (me), Ortho x 2, Paeds, and Anaesthesia.

We're happy campers.

Congrats to everyone who matched in the US and Canada! It seems like such a long way off...

So where are the people going who matched in the US and for which programs?

We will miss you guys! Let the match celebrations begin :D

Congrats to all who matched!

<-------- EM , Metropolitan Hospital / NYMC, New York

In case they don't post, one of my classmates matched in EM, Boston University (BMC). And another prematched into IM, either george washington or georgetown (i always mix those two up), washington DC.

Another of the Trinity grads ( a 2nd year SHO) matched into either albert einstein or mt. sinai for neurology (IM), but don't know where he's doing prelim.

For those RCSIers who were in the pub the other night, sorry didn't meet many of you, i totally faded and left early.

RCSI people:

Boston Medical Center for emergency medicine
Boston Medical Center for internal med
Utah surgery categorical
Maine Med for Ob/Gyn
USC for anaesthesia
U Vermont for internal med

Congrats to everyone!!!

:D:D:D:D:D:D

let's keep the fun rolling:

i matched in family medicine at the university of manitoba

my roommate matched in anesthesia at university of saskatchewan

friend/classmate got radiology at mcmaster

friend/classmate got family med at dalhousie

2 guys in my class matched at mayo clinic (one prelim gen surg, another obs/gyne).

couple people in my class didn't match in the first round, fingers crossed for round two. despite everyone (except me) doing the u.s. boards, everyone was really trying for canada. usa was backup for the people that went there (except for obs/gyne guy)

Congrats to everyone who got a job.

There are a lot more people who applied. Lets hear it. The more people repoting, the more accurate the impression given to the newbies.

Congrats to everyone who got a job.

There are a lot more people who applied. Lets hear it. The more people repoting, the more accurate the impression given to the newbies.

Meant to post this earlier but got a little distracted by other things. total matches now at UCC are as follows:
1 FM at Dalhousie
1 FM at UofT
1 IM at McMaster
1 Anaesthetics at Manitoba
1 FM at MUN
5 matched total out of 10 who applied
American Match
1 surgery in New York City
1 IM in Detroit
1 Psych somewhere in New Jersey (sorry, my complete ignorance of the American system is making this less informative for those of you who are familiar with the system, but I understand from the candidates involved that these are the places they wanted to go and are good programs).
3 matched total out of 3 who applied.
5 no match 1st round Canadian match- 1 applied radiology and pathology (ON and MB), 1 applied FM only (only ranked ON programs), 1 applied Paeds only (ON and MB), 1 applied derm only(only spot in country for IMG's at UofT), 1 not sure what she applied for and not going to ask (but in BC, I think).
We will see what the second round holds...
Cheers,
M

does the person who matched in anesthesia at u of m like to party? i'll need someone there who likes to party. canadian students tend to be a little more, how shall i say, intense.

does the person who matched in anesthesia at u of m like to party? i'll need someone there who likes to party. canadian students tend to be a little more, how shall i say, intense.

He's been in Ireland for 6 years, so I think he's a little looser than his Canadian colleagues who trained at home would be :laugh: Seriously, all we ever heard from the class above us was how intense everyone was except them, and my class are not intense at all (or at least, most of us are not) so they are super relaxed.