Where are my interviews? Advice needed

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FellowPaisan

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am dual applying for a very competitive field and internal medicine as a back-up. I am well prepared to not receive many interviews for the former but I thought I would be busy with medicine interviews. I am just starting my second away for the competitive field and I have only received a whopping 2 interviews for medicine despite I think decent stats - step 1 243, good research. The one thing that might be holding me back especially for the competitive field is my grades this year because of a very different third year curriculum then most are not great (too many passes than I would like to admit). I still thought with applying to a good spectrum of medicine programs I would be receiving a good amount but here I am scratching my head and unsure where to go. I got different letters for medicine and wrote different statements. I don't have any red flags and my letter writers I hand-picked and wouldn't be people to write bad stuff about you. I don't know if I should just be patient because I don't get it. I see my friends getting interviews.

I am an AMG. I chose to withhold step 2 because I dropped a bit.

Super stressed right now. :eek:

Members don't see this ad.

No one can tell you for certain why you don't have many interviews. It's possible that it's your clinical grades. Not reporting S2 is possible, but probably not a deal breaker with your solid S1 score. It's also quite possible that the IM programs can figure out you're dual applying -- if your research is in this competitive specialty and you have 4th year rotations (and away rotations at that), then they may not interview you for that reason.