Where are all the gung-ho, incoming pharmacy students now?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BMBiology

temporarily banned~!
Removed
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know some of you were pretty gung-ho about starting pharmacy schoool, even when you were warned about the saturation. But since you were going to work 2 jobs, work 20+ hours a week, network like crazy, get all As, you were not too concerned. So how are you doing now? Is pharmacy school what you thought it would be?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm starting P1 in a couple of months. I still feel pretty good.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm starting P1 in a couple of months. I still feel pretty good.
Come back when you're a graduate and scrambling to find work...:) Then tell us about it. It's pretty bleak out there! I'm warning you. A local hospital hired PharmD at 47 dollars/hr (below market price) and still there are plenty of applications for an opening spot!

Let me start first :)

I have been only accepted for this coming Fall. Dang I do not how I am going to work 20+ hrs a week or 2-3 jobs AND get all A's, let alone networking. But talking about networking, many pharmacists I see are probably not doing good themselves.

But for all the pharmacists and even pharmacy students out there, what are you going to do to improve the future of the pharmacy profession ?? Are we just sitting around here doing nothing and letting them out there keep opening up schools and screwing up everyone ?? :scared::scared::scared::scared:

:corny::corny: :cigar::whistle::whistle::claps::claps::soexcited::soexcited::clap::biglove:

Come back when you're a graduate and scrambling to find work...:) Then tell us about it. It's pretty bleak out there! I'm warning you. A local hospital hired PharmD at 47 dollars/hr (below market price) and still there are plenty of applications for an opening spot!

My God, only $47 an hour? How will they keep fuel in their Porsche. That's still twice to four times what most pharmacists are paid in Europe.

nU9SfKs.gif

Let me start first

I have been only accepted for this coming Fall. Dang I do not how I am going to work 20+ hrs a week or 2-3 jobs AND get all A's, let alone networking. But talking about networking, many pharmacists I see are probably not doing good themselves.

Old in body, not in maturity.

Most of the pharmacists I've met really like their careers...

My God, only $47 an hour? How will they keep fuel in their Porsche. That's still twice to four times what most pharmacists are paid in Europe.
This is America. Point is a deescalation in salaries. Don't compare Apple's and oranges

This is America. Point is a deescalation in salaries. Don't compare Apple's and oranges

It's a global career field. Pharmacists are only overpaid in America because there was a brief period of shortage. Now, the salaries are eroding back to reasonable levels with inflation.

Truthfully, the greatest enemy I can see to the Pharmacists salary is the pharmacy chain. Independent ownership is the key to better wages, but comes at the cost of more complication.

It's a global career field. Pharmacists are only overpaid in America because there was a brief period of shortage. Now, the salaries are eroding back to reasonable levels with inflation.

Truthfully, the greatest enemy I can see to the Pharmacists salary is the pharmacy chain. Independent ownership is the key to better wages, but comes at the cost of more complication.
I agree salaries rose during the shortage, but the profession has changed since that time also. We have come a long way in trying to advance ourselves as professionals and hopefully providers. The salaries are still on the low end for the services we provide, esp in the clinical hospital setting. I log between 300 to 400 interventions monthly tallying thousands of dollars saved. Where is my compensation and incentive for this? It's a different salary structure and it should cont to evolve.

I agree salaries rose during the shortage, but the profession has changed since that time also. We have come a long way in trying to advance ourselves as professionals and hopefully providers. The salaries are still on the low end for the services we provide, esp in the clinical hospital setting. I log between 300 to 400 interventions monthly tallying thousands of dollars saved. Where is my compensation and incentive for this? It's a different salary structure and it should cont to evolve.

Yeah, clinical pharmacy is another animal. I do feel you guys are underpaid in that field.

Old in body, not in maturity.

Most of the pharmacists I've met really like their careers...

You are absolutely some low life. You have to come out of the blue and insult me. Saying many pharmacists not doing well is immature ?? I have no idea what is going wrong with you. Are you on drugs ??

Reactions: 1 users
I have a job that pays well and that I don't hate. I get the feeling I am supposed to say how terrible it is and how I am afraid everyday to lose my job but my biggest problem with my job is getting asked to pick up too many extra shifts...

Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I have a job that pays well and that I don't hate. I get the feeling I am supposed to say how terrible it is and how I am afraid everyday to lose my job but my biggest problem with my job is getting asked to pick up too many extra shifts...

I'd like to applaud your refreshing and incredibly mature attitude. Thank you for making a positive contribution to society.

Reactions: 2 users

I keep getting recruiter calls and I'm trying to pawn off shifts to some of the new grad per diems we picked up. I straight up work too much...but I love my job and am paid very well.

Then again I did a lot to get where I'm at, and I'm not your average new-ish (<3yr) grad.

I can't complain...but one of my young techs is trying to get into pharm school, i had to give him the "reality" speech.

If you're a mediocre person looking for a paycheck, life will suck for you for a long time. If you're flexible and driven, you'll do well....unfortunately, people tend to overestimate their own skills and have rose colored glasses on when evaluating their own prospects.

Reactions: 5 users
I can't say I went into pharm school gung-ho. I just saw it as an opportunity to better my position in life, after working a series of hard labor and factory jobs after high school and through undergrad studies. I did as much research as possible before deciding it was the right move for me, and I absorbed everything I could as a student and in internships and volunteer experiences. I graduated recently and accepted a very generous offer from a major retailer in a nice area. Since accepting that job, I've had three chains contact me wanting to interview me and I turned down a hospital job after the interview. I am looking forward to embarking on a career that has its good and bad sides, but overwhelmingly good compared to so many jobs out there. Perhaps after working so hard in low-paying jobs after high school makes me more tolerant of the "downs" of pharmacy more than someone who just went straight through school? I can't say that for sure, since we all see things differently, but I can say that I've positioned myself nicely for a good life as long as I remain committed to working hard everyday at being a pharmacist. Will I still feel the same way five years from now? I'll have to get back to you on that. :)

Reactions: 4 users
A local hospital hired PharmD at 47 dollars/hr (below market price) and still there are plenty of applications for an opening spot!

Hell, I started at $41.88/hr back in 2008 working at a local hospital. I was offered $36/hr at UPMC in Pittsburgh in late 2009 (I literally chuckled at them.)

$47 isn't fantastic but its not an insult.

just graduated and matched with a residency program at a large academic cancer center on the east coast and couldn't be happier with my current path. While I definitely think the doom and gloom is real to some degree I still believe folks that are going to work hard in school, network, maintain a job (hospital, research, even retail), and stay engaged in organizations will be able to find a great, rewarding career. For people who plan to skate by in school and are putting all their eggs in the retail basket, I wouldn't recommend it.

Reactions: 1 user
just graduated and matched with a residency program at a large academic cancer center on the east coast and couldn't be happier with my current path. While I definitely think the doom and gloom is real to some degree I still believe folks that are going to work hard in school, network, maintain a job (hospital, research, even retail), and stay engaged in organizations will be able to find a great, rewarding career. For people who plan to skate by in school and are putting all their eggs in the retail basket, I wouldn't recommend it.

I agree with your positive points. The reality is the number of pharmacy schools will hit the 200 mark very soon at the rate it is going now. Uncontrollable and irresponsible expansion of schools will tilt the scale toward the crazy supply side. Soon we are going to be like business and law where employers will only care about top-tier schools and everyone else from lower tier schools will have no job but a nice diploma to hang on their walls in the living room. Yes, some hard working and top students from top schools will always have a job. But for new students starting pharmacy schools now or in the future, can you always count on the odds that you are beating everyone to the line to be the most hard working, top students/top GPA, top extracurriculars with excellent networking ?? With more and more schools pumping out more and more pharmacy graduates, for already working pharmacists, do you really believe that you are always being the irreplaceable pharmacists that your chain or hospital always needs while there are tons of excellent candidates out there so hungry to work for 2/3 or even 1/2 of your paycheck ?? are we going to count on the odds that we are going to work in good working conditions with good wage/salary compensation and that businesses like chains and hospitals will not take advantage of this oversupply/oversaturated situation 4 - 5 years from now ??

If you can count on the odds that you are the most excellent who beats everyone else, then you will always be the one to get the best everything in anything, pharmacy included. :)

But like I stated in my other post above, are we gonna count on us being the most excellent and irreplaceable one that employers will always need and sitting here and doing nothing and let that crazy expansion of schools to screw all of us ??

Last edited:
I agree with your positive points. The reality is the number of pharmacy schools will hit the 200 mark very soon at the rate it is going now. Uncontrollable and irresponsible expansion of schools will tilt the scale toward the crazy supply side. Soon we are going to be like business and law where employers will only care about top-tier schools and everyone else from lower tier schools will have no job but a nice diploma to hang on their walls in the living room. Yes, some hard working and top students from top schools will always have a job. But for new students starting pharmacy schools now or in the future, can you always count on the odds that you are beating everyone to the line to be the most hard working, top students/top GPA, top extracurriculars with excellent networking ?? With more and more schools pumping out more and more pharmacy graduates, for already working pharmacists, do you really believe that you are always being the irreplaceable pharmacists that your chain or hospital always needs while there are tons of excellent candidates out there so hungry to work for 2/3 or even 1/2 of your paycheck ?? are we going to count on the odds that we are going to work in good working conditions with good wage/salary compensation and that businesses like chains and hospitals will not take advantage of this oversupply/oversaturated situation 4 - 5 years from now ??

If you can count on the odds that you are the most excellent who beats everyone else, then you will always be the one to get the best everything in anything, pharmacy included. :)

But like I stated in my other post above, are we gonna count on us being the most excellent and irreplaceable one that employers will always need and sitting here and doing nothing and let that crazy expansion of schools to screw all of us ??

Eventually Pharmacists will have to start opening their own independent stores. It's the only way to take control of the situation. Sadly, most of them are graduating under such a pile of debt they can't get approval for the loan.

Eventually Pharmacists will have to start opening their own independent stores. It's the only way to take control of the situation. Sadly, most of them are graduating under such a pile of debt they can't get approval for the loan.

:nono: :boom::boom: lol jk

Last edited:
Shouldn't there be more new grads posting?

I can only speak for my new grad classmates, but I don't know a single person in my class who did not get a job that they wanted in an area they wanted. A lot of the retail folks are starting out floating and many of them worked at their respective company through most of school.

I can only speak for my new grad classmates, but I don't know a single person in my class who did not get a job that they wanted in an area they wanted. A lot of the retail folks are starting out floating and many of them worked at their respective company through most of school.

if you don't mind, can you tell us what school or what part of the country that you graduated from ??

Look at the big picture, why do you think they start out floating? I know one recruiter recently said to me. We gave out everyone offers floating, but there is no guarantee 40 hours. We also know 1/2 of them will drop out due to this, that's why we give out so many. What happen if the saturation reaches its peak point, no one drops out from floating pool. The backlog for 40hr position will get bigger every where.

In my time, graduation = guaranteed staff/manager position. Pretty soon, new grad = unemployed.

Look at the big picture, why do you think they start out floating? I know one recruiter recently said to me. We gave out everyone offers floating, but there is no guarantee 40 hours. We also know 1/2 of them will drop out due to this, that's why we give out so many. What happen if the saturation reaches its peak point, no one drops out from floating pool. The backlog for 40hr position will get bigger every where.

In my time, graduation = guaranteed staff/manager position. Pretty soon, new grad = unemployed.

in your opinion, what should we do about this ?? what would you do for yourself where you are now ??

I would like to chime in with my n=1.

I am an incoming P1 to a well respected COP in FL. I am very aware that there are plenty of saturation/work condition issues, especially in my area. My background includes about 7 years of pharmacy experience (full-time, I will add) in Large chain retail, specialty compounding, and LTC. I honestly can't see myself doing anything else with my life. I would be telling lies if I said that I wasn't worried about the job market in 4 years. But at the same time, there is a disproportionate amount of competition in every field. I'm not expecting pharmacy to be a golden ticket for me or anyone else. And I certainly not expecting anyone to just hand me a job on graduation day. Like in every other endeavor, I expect to get no more out of this than what I am willing to put in.

But at the same time, there is a disproportionate amount of competition in every field.

Can we all stop comparing pharmacy to every other fields? The amount of risk you are taking is not comparable to most other fields. Not only will you be borrowing 150-250 k in student loan, but you are spending your youth in school. If you can't find full time employment, what is your plan? What are you going to do about the mountain of debt that is only going to get bigger day by day?

This is exactly right. A job offer doesn't mean much nowadays. You could be working 40 hours a week or 8 hours or nothing at all. Competition is already fierce and only the ones who do well (based on the metrics) will get any hours.

Can we all stop comparing pharmacy to every other fields? The amount of risk you are taking is not comparable to most other fields. Not only will you be borrowing 150-250 k in student loan, but you are spending your youth in school. If you can't find full time employment, what is your plan? What are you going to do about the mountain of debt that is only going to get bigger day by day?

You have a great point. If I can't find a job in 4 years, I am screwed. Royally and utterly screwed. And the possibility of that scares the ever-loving S*&t out of me.

But what scares me even more, is throwing away an opportunity to do something that I enjoy doing and getting a good paycheck to do it.

This is a gamble. But I am gambling on myself. And I am confident in my odds.

There are actually other fields (read: engineering and finance) that have similar or even much better prospects compared to pharmacy. Even better, they don't require the additional $150k+ debt and 4 years of schooling.

There are actually other fields (read: engineering and finance) that have similar or even much better prospects compared to pharmacy. Even better, they don't require the additional $150k+ debt and 4 years of schooling.

I haven't spent a huge amount of time researching these fields, but these fields aren't exactly attractive in terms of job outlook/compensation.

http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB10001424052702303985504579208371167439830

http://www.engineersguideusa.com/Careers/engineer_career_outlook.htm

Both of these fields do require a bachelor's degree in their respective fields for an entry level position as well as an advanced degree for any sort of promotion. So as a freshman or sophomore in college, they would be worth looking at. But not worth going back to school to switch careers.

Engineers - around 70K
Financial analyst- around 75K

I like your attitude RxMonkey. I grauduated in 2010 and heard the same noise from this forum but I was easily able to find a job in LTC setting a few hours away from my home. I have been here for 4 years and have proved the doubters wrong. All my classmates that I know of have found a job. Some are unhappy but the point is that they were able to find work. I don't have any anecdotal evidence of people who couldn't have a job. I only hear about it here. I know its all relative to location and networking. The doom and gloomers love to hear about misery but we don't hear enough about people who have jobs.

Reactions: 3 users
I like your attitude RxMonkey. I grauduated in 2010 and heard the same noise from this forum but I was easily able to find a job in LTC setting a few hours away from my home. I have been here for 4 years and have proved the doubters wrong. All my classmates that I know of have found a job. Some are unhappy but the point is that they were able to find work. I don't have any anecdotal evidence of people who couldn't have a job. I only hear about it here. I know its all relative to location and networking. The doom and gloomers love to hear about misery but we don't hear enough about people who have jobs.

I thought it was just me that thought people on here were awfully negative. Good to know I'm not alone. Some people in life don't want to hear solutions, just to be heard complaining.

Thanks for being a positive influence!

This is 2014, not 2010. I wonder how you would do if you lose your job today.

This is 2014, not 2010. I wonder how you would do if you lose your job today. There are places that are not yet saturated yet but soon they will be too.

Last edited:
"Can we all stop comparing pharmacy to every other fields? The amount of risk you are taking is not comparable to most other fields. Not only will you be borrowing 150-250 k in student loan, but you are spending your youth in school. If you can't find full time employment, what is your plan? What are you going to do about the mountain of debt that is only going to get bigger day by day?"

Assumptions, assumptions, assumptions. Last I checked over 75% of my class was on some sort of scholarship (2014 Grad).

If we are not to compare it to other fields, then what is the point of even discussing this entire topic?

"Can we all stop comparing pharmacy to every other fields? The amount of risk you are taking is not comparable to most other fields. Not only will you be borrowing 150-250 k in student loan, but you are spending your youth in school. If you can't find full time employment, what is your plan? What are you going to do about the mountain of debt that is only going to get bigger day by day?"

Assumptions, assumptions, assumptions. Last I checked over 75% of my class was on some sort of scholarship (2014 Grad).

If we are not to compare it to other fields, then what is the point of even discussing this entire topic?

Lol so 75% of your class got enough "scholarships" to where they didn't have to take large amounts of student loans? Sure. That's easy to believe.

The truth and only the truth. People who think there is no saturation, or who think it is not happening are *****s. Saturation is coming. It's coming fast.

Lol so 75% of your class got enough "scholarships" to where they didn't have to take large amounts of student loans? Sure. That's easy to believe.

I am sure that me and many others would like to go that school. What school is that ??

I haven't spent a huge amount of time researching these fields, but these fields aren't exactly attractive in terms of job outlook/compensation.

http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB10001424052702303985504579208371167439830

http://www.engineersguideusa.com/Careers/engineer_career_outlook.htm

Both of these fields do require a bachelor's degree in their respective fields for an entry level position as well as an advanced degree for any sort of promotion. So as a freshman or sophomore in college, they would be worth looking at. But not worth going back to school to switch careers.

Engineers - around 70K
Financial analyst- around 75K

Some disciplines within engineering and finance are not very attractive in terms of job outlook. However, the chances of being unemployed or underemployed as a pharmacist is rising quickly due to the continued explosion in the number of pharmacy school graduates.

Engineering and finance = moderate to high salary, moderate risk of unemployment (depending on discipline)
Pharmacy = moderate-high salary, requires an additional $150k+ loans and 3-4 years of schooling, moderate (soon to be high) risk of unemployment

Some disciplines within engineering and finance are not very attractive in terms of job outlook. However, the chances of being unemployed or underemployed as a pharmacist is rising quickly due to the continued explosion in the number of pharmacy school graduates.

Engineering and finance = moderate to high salary, moderate risk of unemployment (depending on discipline)
Pharmacy = moderate-high salary, requires an additional $150k+ loans and 3-4 years of schooling, moderate (soon to be high) risk of unemployment

you are wrong bro :) PharmD needs min of 5-6 years (2 yrs udergrad + 3-4 yrs of pharm school) + 1-2 yrs residency (they are pushing for "community" residency now which I am sure you have heard) = 6-8 yrs of schooling

ROI is getting lower and lower by the days imho.... (sigh)

If it should be a low paying field, and yet you are only now studying for it, I must hesitate and question why we must heed your advice

previously a lot of people went into pharmacy because they wanted a relatively easy job with a good pay, which I believe is definitely not the mindset to go with if you want to do it anymore. If it is a field you are really passionate about, are comfortable working retail if all else sorta fails and are ready to network like crazy, then I don't think it is all doom and gloom if the aforementioned applies to you. I know a few 2010-2011 grads from my school who went into retail initially with that mindset and then quit-some did find positions in infusion centers, hospitals or by doing a residency/fellowship afterward. I did see 2012-2013 grads get hospital positions right after graduation, in fact one kid I know got a clinical pharmacist position without residency lol.

As for me, I wish I hadn't chose the 0-6 route. I only know of ~5 people who dropped the program, and I was seriously considering doing so but the benefits of pharmacy at the time seemed compelling compared to graduating with a bachelors (I was going to do engineering or neuroscience) I was ridiculously undecided before going in and going into a professional degree program that is now cranking out quite a lot of graduates is not as much of a walk in the park as it was painted before I entered the program. It's not to say I expected to get everything easy way out; I have always work hard, since high school to undergrad, but it is incredibly competitive, and my classmates seriously saw school as the Hunger Games. If you're not prepared to understand that, then you burn-out and subsequently lag behind. But if you are prepared and have a positive mindset, it might not be all that bad.

As an almost-graduate, I'm fairly confident in my ability to find a job, if not my dream job, right off the bat.
Anecdotally, my district just hired a new grad who rotated with us that my RxM actiyely told the DM NOT to hire, as in he couldn't even do tech work. He floated at my store this week. In a metro area.
I've been at my chain for six years, they'd be silly not to hire me, seeing as they still take people off the street.

Who should be worried are terrible new grads that can't function in the real world. I don't care if you were Rho Chi and got your name on a published paper out of pity because you cleaned beakers all day, if you can't DO YOUR DAMN JOB, you should live in fear of losing it.

If it should be a low paying field, and yet you are only now studying for it, I must hesitate and question why we must heed your advice

Not everyone gets to study right out of High School. I was a little too busy raising a 25 week premmie the first 4.5 years after high school, then recovering from my own crippling injuries after joining the military to support said child.

I'm content to make as little as 5k a month and be happy with that salary. I get 2k a month tax free from my VA disability compensation even when I work full time. Gives me a nice cushion. So you can see why I'm perfectly okay with the wages falling in Pharmacy. Furthermore I'm okay with working overseas, pursuing a PhD afterward and going into research or academia, etc...

None of those aforementioned facts do anything to deride my point that business ownership is the key to throwing off the slavery chains of CVS, Wags, Safeway, etc...

Not everyone gets to study right out of High School. I was a little too busy raising a 25 week premmie the first 4.5 years after high school, then recovering from my own crippling injuries after joining the military to support said child.

I'm content to make as little as 5k a month and be happy with that salary. I get 2k a month tax free from my VA disability compensation even when I work full time. Gives me a nice cushion. So you can see why I'm perfectly okay with the wages falling in Pharmacy. Furthermore I'm okay with working overseas, pursuing a PhD afterward and going into research or academia, etc...

None of those aforementioned facts do anything to deride my point that business ownership is the key to throwing off the slavery chains of CVS, Wags, Safeway, etc...

well, a lot of new pharmacist, if not most, can't afford to survive on that 5K a month salary as they need to pay back their 150-250K student loans...

but, how would you compete with big boys if you were a pharmacist owner of your own independent pharmacy today ?? what would be your plan ??

imho, those big boys have all the advantages in the world compared to independent pharmacies. They easily step on and crush those ind pharmacies like some cockroaches....