When you visit the doctor.....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sleep deprived

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a question for other medical students out there. I hate going to the doctor, I know I am a terrible patient. But when I go, the last thing I want to talk about is medical school. But somehow, doctor's always pick up on the fact I am a student at one. I try to use laymen's terms when explaining what is wrong with me. However it is hard, because I have an idea of what is wrong to start, and I want to clearly express what I am feeling to the doctor. So I wanted to know how you guys handle this situation when you need to see the doctor yourself. Are you able to see one with out them knowing you are a medical student? Do you prefer it that way, or do you prefer for them to know that you are off the bat?
One more thing, a few months ago I had to go to the ER for my heart. I am okay, I just have an irregular beat that acts up now and then. The ER physician actually got upset with me for not telling him off the bat I was a med student. He found out later in the exam from my boyfriend, not me. So, what is up with that? Am I supposed to tell the doctor I am a med student or something? I am unclear on the whole situation.

Members don't see this ad.

Intermittent palpitations=Possibly stress induced -judging by screen name:)? Mabye the doc was just trying to make a correlation or to get at the etiology of why your heart does funny things at times and the stress of Med student life can do that ie. make your heart bounce around. At leaste for me, every time finals come up I get some new type of somatic/visceral dysfunction. Well none the less its good to hear that you are ok.

FG

I generally try to speak slowly and act stupid. Of course until the doctor starts saying things that dont make sense to me for one reason or another, of If i have a question about the treatment or whatever... they then quickly ask if I am a doctor... i tell them no, they look at me weird, end of story.
:)

I work in an ED (as a paramedic), and it is very easy to pick out anybody with a trace of medical training. Doctors, medical students, nurses, all have a certain way of relating information, a pattern, that is independent of the use of medical terms.

You have two options:
1) Say right up front "I'm a medical student." The physician will, trying not to patronize you, proceed to assume your knowledge of anatomy and pathology, as well as current therapies, and speak only in acronyms. You will be befuddled, but pride will keep you from requesting the simple version.
2) Don't say that you are a MS. Just announce your diagnosis right off the bat.

In all seriousness, just relate your symptoms as accurately as you can. No need to employ or conceal medical terms. The (hopefully) ingrained habit of summarizing histories into relevant elements should work to your advantage. The astute clinician will a) know in two seconds that you are not Joe Sixpack, and b) that they will have to put in some effort to make sure that your excellent history-relating skills are not leading them astray.