when you found out you got in, how did you react ?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Thought I'd bump this thread since it's making me cry ugly happy premed tears for all of you. Also I hope to add to it soon! :nailbiting:

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 8 users
Was on my way to work when I got the email that I was accepted. The actual acceptance didn't make me cry, but thinking about all the years of hard work and hell I've been through to get here sure did.
I ugly-cried in response to my MCAT score and my first acceptance for that same reason. The people around me didn't know whether to congratulate or console me based on the degree/forcefulness of the sudden crying. :rolleyes:

It was a soggy alternative to the jumping and cheering I had pictured, but I'm not complaining.

Reactions: 5 users
I was at work when I saw a phone call from the area code of the school. My manager let me go to the back to take the call. When I picked it up and found out I had been accepted I was super pumped.

There was a lot more air fist pumping than I'd like to admit, but worth it.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I ugly-cried in response to my MCAT score and my first acceptance for that same reason.
I just thought my MCAT score was some cruel joke to give me too much hope.

Reactions: 3 users
As an older, married non-traditional student, it has been a long time coming (first cycle, though). I didn't think I would be a crier, but I couldn't help it. Today is going to be a good day!

Reactions: 6 users
Immediately after finding out: “Yay I got into medical school”
Ten minutes after finding out: “OH MY GOD. I ACTUALLY...I GOT IN TO MEDICAL SCHOOL F*** YES”
Thirty minutes after finding out: *crying*

Reactions: 14 users
The school got back to me with my acceptance before I even had a chance to call my mom and tell her about the interview. So I chose to call her and rave about how amazing the school was, how great the facilities were, etc. She told me not to get too excited or get my hopes up until I heard back. Then I dropped, “oh, did I leave that part out? I was accepted today!” She LOST it! A volcano explosion of tears. She was at the nursing home with my grandma and I heard someone come in asking if something happened and I heard my mom say “my daughter got into medical school!!!” I’m so blessed to have such a supportive family. My mom sent a rose gold stethoscope in the mail a week later, she’s so proud! :love:

Reactions: 25 users
The school got back to me with my acceptance before I even had a chance to call my mom and tell her about the interview. So I chose to call her and rave about how amazing the school was, how great the facilities were, etc. She told me not to get too excited or get my hopes up until I heard back. Then I dropped, “oh, did I leave that part out? I was accepted today!” She LOST it! A volcano explosion of tears. She was at the nursing home with my grandma and I heard someone come in asking if something happened and I heard my mom say “my daughter got into medical school!!!” I’m so blessed to have such a supportive family. My mom sent a rose gold stethoscope in the mail a week later, she’s so proud! :love:
Wait an I understanding you correctly? You got accepted that quickly after your interview?

Reactions: 2 users

CONGRATULATIONS! :clap:

"Hundreds of stars in the pretty sky
Hundreds of bees in the pretty clover
Hundreds of birds that go singing by
But only one mother the whole world over"
:)

Last edited by a moderator:
Wait an I understanding you correctly? You got accepted that quickly after your interview?
If I remember correctly, I interviewed on a Wednesday and heard back the next Monday (oh gee...I don’t call my mom enough! Lol)

Reactions: 4 users
If I remember correctly, I interviewed on a Wednesday and heard back the next Monday (oh gee...I don’t call my mom enough! Lol)

Haha I thought you meant you interviewed and then got accepted like the next day! That must've still been an amazing interview to get accepted so quickly. Congrats and call your mom more often lol!

Reactions: 7 users
No crying, no yelling, just pure relief. I shook for the next 45 minutes following the phone call!! Then I cranked my Spotify 2017 top 100 songs, freaking awesome!

Members don't see this ad :)
This is a very sweet thread- great for all of us to remember that gratitude we felt in the very beginning. I’m getting in on this :)

For me- it was December 2004, almost Christmas. I got an email acceptance, my first MD/PhD acceptance (and where I ended up going). I woke up my mom ;) Then we called my dad, then I called my research mentor, who told me to call my other research mentor. I called my boyfriend (now husband) somewhere in there.

I then spent the rest of the day writing emails to thank everyone who wrote me letters, edited my essays and gave me advice. Then my parents took me to have sushi for dinner :)

It was more of a muted vibe, as it had been less than a year since my brother died. I think for all of us, it was more of just a sigh of relief.

Now Match Day, when I opened the envelope and found out I matched at Harvard...there was lots of screaming and crying and commotion :) :) There’s a picture where you see our reaction, and my dad had the biggest smile that I had ever seen. That may be one of the happiest moments that my family has ever had.

• Care
Reactions: 29 users
Well in my time it was the difference between the small:dead: or large envelope:happy:
Was using my mom’s address, went over to visit, picked her mail and notice a big envelope. Started getting nervous as I went inside, quickly opened it to finds lots of papers till I hit on one addressed to me and started with “It gives me great pleasure to offer you a position...went wild calling out to my mom that I was going to be a doctor. Later I told my girlfriend in person the news.

Reactions: 1 users
This is a very sweet thread- great for all of us to remember that gratitude we felt in the very beginning. I’m getting in on this :)

For me- it was December 2004, almost Christmas. I got an email acceptance, my first MD/PhD acceptance (and where I ended up going). I woke up my mom ;) Then we called my dad, then I called my research mentor, who told me to call my other research mentor. I called my boyfriend (now husband) somewhere in there.

I then spent the rest of the day writing emails to thank everyone who wrote me letters, edited my essays and gave me advice. Then my parents took me to have sushi for dinner :)

It was more of a muted vibe, as it had been less than a year since my brother died. I think for all of us, it was more of just a sigh of relief.

Now Match Day, when I opened the envelope and found out I matched at Harvard...there was lots of screaming and crying and commotion :) :) There’s a picture where you see our reaction, and my dad had the biggest smile that I had ever seen. That may be one of the happiest moments that my family has ever had.
I wish I could like this more than once :)

I cried, then went and showed my mom the email and told her that I’m going to be a doctor. Then I texted everyone I could think of and told them, too!

So excited to finally post here!! I got a phone call that I'd been accepted off the waitlist to my top choice school. The biggest sense of relief and shock washed over me. I played it cool on the phone, then proceeded to scream and cry to my husband and son (I'm a non-trad student) how excited I was! I then texted/called other family and loved ones, and went out for drinks with family to celebrate. It was one of the happiest days of my life.

Reactions: 10 users
I saw the acceptance email during lunch of another medical school interview. It took everything to contain my emotions, and to not "Obama Out" the rest of the interview.

Cry, because med school is painful :eek:

the school i was accepted to release acceptances dec 15, yet i received a phone call 2wks early so I definitely wasnt expecting it. I put that school on the back burner, since I still had about 2 weeks until I was supposed to keep a look out for a call.

I was sitting at work, on SDN and I received a phone call from an unfamiliar local number. I dont pick up unfamiliar numbers.. if its serious or important, theyll leave a voicemail...
Seconds later, I received the voicemail alert.
I went to the bathroom at my job to listen to who it could possibly be

Dean: "Good morning 'blah', it is Dr. 'blah blah'..
**I had been applying for a new job in doctor's offices in the area, so I assumed it was a position I recently applied for due to the local area code.**
Then she continued..
Dean: '......from blah blah MEDICAL SCHOOL.'
** I was like 'OMG this can nottttt be the call ive been waiting for my whole life! no it cant be !' (once again, i was not expecting a call for another 2wks'**
THEN she went on to say..
Dean: ''...I'm SORRY.....'
**I was like noooooooo my life is over!!! :arghh::arghh::arghh::arghh::arghh:**
but then it continued:
Dean: 'I'm Sorry, that I couldnt reach you to tell you the good news in person, but youve been accepted to the entering class of 2015!'

I instantly dropped to the bathroom floor and started to silently cry. (im actually tearing up reliving the moment right now):X3: I just kept mumbling to myself 'is this real? no, it cant be' I had to replay to voicemail 3 times before calling my friends and family. I always imagined my initial reaction to be jumping in joy and screaming at the top of my lungs. but it was the complete opposite, it was so personal and emotional and all i could think was 'i did it...'
This was one of my top schools tied for 1st..

I called my mom and she started screaming and going crazy, its her top choice school for me. my mom was in tears and she just started talking to herself, saying things like Who would have thought that she would be able to birth and raise a medical doctor? someone like her who doesnt have passed a high school education? Someone who came to this country by herself with no parents in her early 20s without a dime to her name... That moment, she felt like she had achieved her American Dream which was to give her children the best opportunities to reach whichever goals we set.

My mom and I just sat on the phone and cried together...

I can’t believe I posted this almost 4 years ago. I still have the voicemail, and still replay it from time to time. I still tear up every single damn time. Med school has been tough but we are truly blessed to have this privilege. I honestly do believe that the day I received that voicemail was the first day of the rest of my life.

Reactions: 17 users
What a beautiful thread. My heart is full.

Reactions: 4 users
I recorded myself answering the phone/opening letters for months trying to capture the moments. LOTS of false alarms.

When I finally opened my MD acceptance in front of the camera (I was on the WL so I had no idea what I was going to open), I tried to read the letter but started crying and couldn’t finish it.

So now I’m crying on camera and I don’t want to share it win anyone. XD

I also recorded myself calling my family to let them know. When I called my mom, this is EXACTLY how it went down:

“Hey mom, guess who’s son just got accepted to medical school?!”

“Barbara [other applicant’s-mom name]?”

“NO MOM, YOU. YOUR SON. I GOT ACCEPTED.”

Reactions: 18 users
I recorded myself answering the phone/opening letters for months trying to capture the moments. LOTS of false alarms.

When I finally opened my MD acceptance in front of the camera (I was on the WL so I had no idea what I was going to open), I tried to read the letter but started crying and couldn’t finish it.

So now I’m crying on camera and I don’t want to share it win anyone. XD

I also recorded myself calling my family to let them know. When I called my mom, this is EXACTLY how it went down:

“Hey mom, guess who’s son just got accepted to medical school?!”

“Barbara [other applicant’s-mom name]?”

“NO MOM, YOU. YOUR SON. I GOT ACCEPTED.”

LOL oh you *know* your mama gave Barbara a call after this happened :) :)

Vet school applicant here! ‍♀️ I found out I got in when I was at work actually. It was about an hour after I was supposed to be home, but I had some blood to run, so I stayed to finish it. While I was waiting, I went to the bathroom and checked my email. I saw an email from my school and immediately my heart dropped because I thought it was a denial. I opened it and the first line said “congratulations!” I thought it was an interview offer so I didn’t get too excited, but then I read the rest of it and saw I was accepted. I ran out of the bathroom and straight out the door of the building. I came back in and my best work friend was standing in the door and I just said “I got accepted to xxx.” She gave me a huge hug and next thing I know, I was on my knees on the floor crying. It was just the best moment of my entire life. I’ve never felt like that before. I had a 30 minute drive to get home and as soon as my mom walked in, I told her and we were jumping. It was the best moment ever. I am so excited for the more good news to come.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN

I still think about that moment all the time. What an absolutely incredible experience. I don't know if I'll ever experience something quite like that again...maybe the match, if I were to get a top choice. But it will be very, very difficult to compete with getting into medical school.

When I saw my acceptance email I had a great sigh of relief that I won't be disowned by my family. I'm Asian.

I’ve been waiting 5 years to post in this thread.

I got my first acceptance email last night. I happened to be home visiting my parents, but I didn’t say anything so I could tell both of them at once when they got home from work. I had cooked dinner for them and when we sat down I told them. They congratulated me and my dad opened a bottle of wine.

I texted my close friends and gf. At first I only felt relief but soon it was just joy. I told my parents I wanted to be a physician when I was a small child after watching one of my family members, a doc in my home country, with their patients in the world. When we first came to the US we didn’t have anything and all of our furniture was reupholstered by us after being fished out of dumpsters from the bougie neighborhoods. When I was finishing HS I had a chip on my shoulder about not meeting my full potential because I had no idea about the college admissions game and everyone at my school was telling me that I only got into the UG that I did because of my last name. When I started UG I was determined to understand everything about medical school admissions so I would be prepared for the next stage unlike the first where I basically just got really lucky. Now we live in a rly nice neighborhood and I got to tell my parents that I’m going to be a doctor-doctor. Second only to telling my parents they wouldn’t have to pay for my education, proudest moment of my life.

Last edited:
Reactions: 68 users
Congrats @Lucca !! I think I can speak for everyone on SDN that you absolutely deserve it, definitely been secretly rooting for you this whole cycle

Reactions: 11 users

I got my first acceptance email last night. I happened to be home visiting my parents, but I didn’t say anything so I could tell both of them at once when they got home from work. I had cooked dinner for them and when we sat down I told them. They congratulated me and my dad opened a bottle of wine.

I texted my close friends and gf. At first I only felt relief but soon it was just joy. I told my parents I wanted to be a physician when I was a small child after watching one of my family members, a doc in my home country, with their patients in the world. When we first came to the US we didn’t have anything and all of our furniture was reupholstered by us after being fished out of dumpsters from the bougie neighborhoods. When I was finishing HS I had a chip on my shoulder about not meeting my full potential because I had no idea about the college admissions game and everyone at my school was telling me that I only got into the UG that I did because of my last name. When I started UG I was determined to understand everything about medical school admissions so I would be prepared for the next stage unlike the first where I basically just got really lucky. Now we live in a rly nice neighborhood and I got to tell my parents that I’m going to be a doctor-doctor. Second only to telling my parents they wouldn’t have to pay for my education, proudest moment of my life.

:claps::clap::highfive::claps::clap::highfive:

You sir are an inspiration! As an immigrant also, it's a great feeling to know we're moving up on the socioeconomic ladder! Sounds like you have an amazing relationship with your parents, too.

I got my first acceptance on the first day we could find out in October. I had been fantasizing for months about how I would react. Would I cry tears of joy? Would I breath a sigh of relief?

I was sitting in front of my laptop. I knew I had work the next morning at 8am, but the anticipation was keeping me awake. And then it showed up right around midnight: a new email from one of the schools I had interviewed at a month prior. This school was unique in that it was an acceptance video. As I watched the video I was a bit confused about where it was going. Then, it became clear; I was going to be a doctor! Even though my brother was asleep beside me, I jumped up on the bed and rejoiced. It was so surreal and euphoric. Going to work the next morning I was on cloud nine. What made it better was that I ended up getting more than one acceptance that day.

I have had dreams of being a doctor since I was like seven years old. My whole life, I have been working towards that sole goal. Came to the US when I was four years old; started off in ESOL but made it into advanced courses throughtout most of my education. Struggled in adolescence because of having major spinal surgery that geared me even more towards medicine but also wrecked my self-esteem and self-image. Ended up taking two years off when things didn't work out to matriculate right after graduation. Although people were telling me I had a strong app going into the cycle, reading through here, made me anxious because it looks like everyone has a strong app. Every step of this process has been humbling to say the least. Whatever God or powers that be have smiled upon me and I'm eternally grateful.

Reactions: 17 users
I love the way I found out. I'll give a bit of backstory. I was eating lunch with one of my best friends when she found out she had been accepted to medical school. She was checking her email, saw the acceptance, handed me the phone, and we both started to cry. She applied the year before me, and we've always joked that she will be the first person I tell when I get in. Before my family, significant other, anyone else.

Fast forward to about a year later, and I'm interviewing at the school that she now attends. The interview day was over and we were hanging out in one of the cafe's. I check my email, and there is my first acceptance. I just stared at her and handed her my phone. It was the same moment all over again. The beautiful thing about it was that we are both nontraditional students with unique challenges and stories, and we really carried each other through our premed program. We both had so many doubts and fears going into the process. It felt meant to be. Of all the days to get my first acceptance. It still makes me tear up.

Reactions: 25 users
Five minutes after the acceptance call, I had to call back to the admission office just to make sure that it wasn't a mistake or prank.

Reactions: 11 users
Five minutes after the acceptance call, I had to call back to the admission office just to make sure that it wasn't a mistake or prank.

This feeling is real. Even over a month later

It took a year and an extra cycle longer than I’d hoped for, but I finally get to share my acceptance story. I’m currently living abroad as a graduate student and flew back and forth several times from the UK to the USA for interviews while trying to stay caught up on my research. It was a brutal quarter and to be honest I still haven’t recovered. Anyway, one of these interview invites was at a school located in my dream location, and I was shocked to receive an interview from this school as an OOS applicant with no connections to the area other than a vacation years ago. The school lived up to my expectations during the interview and despite being hopelessly jet lagged, I emerged thinking I might actually have a shot. Fast forward three weeks, and here I am back in the US of A, sitting in the lobby of a hotel in the the middle of nowhere (dressed in my suit of course) at 6:30am, preparing to interview at one of my in-state schools. TBH, I really didn’t like the location of the school but if it meant I’d become a doctor, I knew I could deal with it. Not five minutes into my pre-interview prep, however, I received an email from my dream-location school with the subject “decision”. Oh boy, I thought, this is it. Sure enough, it was an acceptance. I reread the email several times in disbelief and teared up when I finally realized what it said. I’ll be a third generation physician, and I’d been waiting for this moment for about as long as I can remember (stories from medical school, residency, and practice are a regular occurrence at family get-togethers). I immediately called my parents and grandparents and later attended one of the least stressful interviews of my life. I’m not married yet, so I can’t speak to how that feels, but I can honestly say being accepted into medical school will forever be one of the happiest moments of my life.

They told us they would call us on x day earlier this month to tell us we got in (silence meant hold). I spent that day trying not to think about it, but all I did was think about it. When they finally called I picked up not realizing what was going on. I was so in shock the person on the other side of the phone wasn't sure if they got the right number. Spent the rest of the day dancing and chatting with friends and family.

I got the email about a week ago! My mom and my husband work at the same place and they were at their company Christmas party, so I immediately hopped in the car and drove out there to tell them. My mom cried, my husband started walking around telling everyone he saw, it was bananas.
I also emailed my teacher from first grade, because in my PS I wrote about a story I had written back in first grade about wanting to work at a hospital. She remembered me and that story, which was pretty cool!
Honestly it still feels pretty surreal though. Getting accepted to my number one choice medical school after wanting to be a doctor for 15+ years, there's no feeling like it!

I love the way I found out. I'll give a bit of backstory. I was eating lunch with one of my best friends when she found out she had been accepted to medical school. She was checking her email, saw the acceptance, handed me the phone, and we both started to cry. She applied the year before me, and we've always joked that she will be the first person I tell when I get in. Before my family, significant other, anyone else.

Fast forward to about a year later, and I'm interviewing at the school that she now attends. The interview day was over and we were hanging out in one of the cafe's. I check my email, and there is my first acceptance. I just stared at her and handed her my phone. It was the same moment all over again. The beautiful thing about it was that we are both nontraditional students with unique challenges and stories, and we really carried each other through our premed program. We both had so many doubts and fears going into the process. It felt meant to be. Of all the days to get my first acceptance. It still makes me tear up.

Ok this made me tear up. Congratulations to both of you

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I got into my top choice a few days ago. In classic fashion, I was actually on the toilet. My stepdad called to ask if I had gotten a call yet (the school told us to expect a call that day if we had been accepted). I told him no, but right as I did I had another incoming call from the same city as my top choice.

So I told him I thought that might be it and to hold on. I answered, and it was the dean calling to congratulate me. Right as he did, my wife walked in with my girls. After I got off the phone, I jumped around a little with my kiddos, hugged my wife, and then called my stepdad back.

And then I got a pizza to celebrate.

Reactions: 18 users
I got into my top choice a few days ago. In classic fashion, I was actually on the toilet. My stepdad called to ask if I had gotten a call yet (the school told us to expect a call that day if we had been accepted). I told him no, but right as I did I had another incoming call from the same city as my top choice.

So I told him I thought that might be it and to hold on. I answered, and it was the dean calling to congratulate me. Right as he did, my wife walked in with my girls. After I got off the phone, I jumped around a little with my kiddos, hugged my wife, and then called my stepdad back.

And then I got a pizza to celebrate.
So damn wholesome :')

I got the email about a week ago! My mom and my husband work at the same place and they were at their company Christmas party, so I immediately hopped in the car and drove out there to tell them. My mom cried, my husband started walking around telling everyone he saw, it was bananas.
I also emailed my teacher from first grade, because in my PS I wrote about a story I had written back in first grade about wanting to work at a hospital. She remembered me and that story, which was pretty cool!
Honestly it still feels pretty surreal though. Getting accepted to my number one choice medical school after wanting to be a doctor for 15+ years, there's no feeling like it!
This is amazing, congratulations for all your hard work over the past 15+ years!

Reactions: 2 users