when to write step 2?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ceeepz

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey,

i'm a canadian md student going into third year. just wondering when most american students write step2? at the end of 3rd year? i'm guessing you want the score in before you apply for residency positions, am i right?

by the time we are done third year, we have completed: peds, internal, obs/gyne, surgery, anesthesia, psych, rural family med

will this be sufficient rotations to pass the exam after third year? because in 4th we will hit emerg, geriatrics, urban family med. should i do these rotations then write the exam?

what rotations have most american med students finished prior to writing step2?

also, do you guys get time off to study for step2? if so, how much time off?

thanks for your help all!

confused canadian

Members don't see this ad.

What is your schools requirements? Are you required to to graduate? Otherwise you can take it your 4th year at the end, although I recommend taking it earlier in case you fail it.

Actually, most people don't take Step 2 in time for residency applications. It's the opposite. If you are happy with your Step 1 score, it's actually common to take Step 2 later during Year 4 so that you don't risk getting a low Step 2 score.

In general, I think the clerkships everyone has done by the time they take Step 2 include: Peds, OB/GYN, Medicine, Surgery, Psych, Family Medicine. Depending on the clerkships required by your school, you might have done Neurology, Emergency Medicine, Anesthesia as well.

At my school, it is up to ourselves how much time we schedule to study, if any at all. Some people just schedule an easy rotation and study during that time.

what if one has surgery as their last rotation in 3rd year and they need to show a good step 2 score before applying to the US?

would you advise studying during surgery rotation?
or during the start of 4th year?

Members don't see this ad :)
what if one has surgery as their last rotation in 3rd year and they need to show a good step 2 score before applying to the US?

would you advise studying during surgery rotation?
or during the start of 4th year?

Take it early in your fourth year. You'll get your score back in time for interviews, and you wont' have to worry about studying for it during your surgery rotation.

anyone ever notice canadians say "writing the exam", while every response from the US students on this thread say "taking the exam"

anyone ever notice canadians say "writing the exam", while every response from the US students on this thread say "taking the exam"
Yeah, it's not just Canadians though, it seems to be most FMGs. It's funny, I always think "I wish I was WRITING the exam! I'd have the first ever 300 on SDN"...and it wouldn't even be a lie:laugh: I also hear "sitting for" the exam a lot. It seems US grads are about the only ones who say "take" the exam. We Americans always have to be different, first we say "to hell with the metric system" and now we're "taking" exams:D

ive also started 3rd yr rotations, however due to limited spots for core im doing electives for the time being. I understand that its going to make it harder when it comes to step2 but thinking about taking time off to study for step2 after core. is that recommended? How about CS? should it be done before or after step2. All thoughts are welcome.

I've come across several amg's and img's (all americans) who singled me out when i said "writing" the exam.. yup.. cdn here alrite. I was outnumbered. :scared:

ive also started 3rd yr rotations, however due to limited spots for core im doing electives for the time being. I understand that its going to make it harder when it comes to step2 but thinking about taking time off to study for step2 after core. is that recommended? How about CS? should it be done before or after step2. All thoughts are welcome.

I've come across several amg's and img's (all americans) who singled me out when i said "writing" the exam.. yup.. cdn here alrite. I was outnumbered. :scared:

Neither did i ever heard writing the test, sounds weird, its always taking a test. By the way step 1 n 2 ck are about clicking on the answer, there's nothing to write.

obviously each person will say a different time frame as to what is "enough" study time for step 2 or what books to use. My advice is the following

1)IF you scored above 250 on step 1, THEN study for 2.5 weeks and take it. Chances are even if you take it "semi" cold turkey you wont score below a 230.
2) IF you scored below a 220 on step 1, THEN I would wait until you finish all of your core rotations (third year stuff like OB/GYN, medicine, surgery...) then do an NBME 1 cold and see where you stand. Based on that and how you feel take 4 weeks off and FINISH all of UW and 1 week before finishing UW take NBME 2 or 3. Again, see where you stand, if not happy then postpone and do another round of Usmleworld and then take it.

3) if you scored betwenn 220 and 250. UW in 3 weeks. NBME to see where you stand, then take it.

hey,

i'm a canadian md student going into third year. just wondering when most american students write step2? at the end of 3rd year? i'm guessing you want the score in before you apply for residency positions, am i right?

by the time we are done third year, we have completed: peds, internal, obs/gyne, surgery, anesthesia, psych, rural family med

will this be sufficient rotations to pass the exam after third year? because in 4th we will hit emerg, geriatrics, urban family med. should i do these rotations then write the exam?

what rotations have most american med students finished prior to writing step2?

also, do you guys get time off to study for step2? if so, how much time off?

thanks for your help all!

confused canadian

as soon as they give you the paper or that erase board you want to start writing, don't wait...