When to take usmle at the latest?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

unlucky87

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone?

I wasn't going to take usmle 2 initially but now I'm thinking to take it. So when's the latest that I can take step 2 and still apply this year? Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

This is not an easy thing to really say. Due to the score delay that is expected through August, even people who took there exam at the beginning of this month will probably have to wait until September 26 to get scores back, while the first day to submit to ERAS is September 15th. However you can still submit you application on to ERAS and your score will be updated once the results are out. Under normal circumstances score reports take 4 weeks, however during this time the USMLE is adjusting the number of items so there is a score delay to normalize scores.

In a perfect world your application will be complete and ready to go on September 15th. However that will not happen unless you took your exam before August. I am in the same boat, and plan on just submitting my applications with what i have at that point, and just select the option of having my CK score be uploaded once the results do arrive. Assuming the rest of your application looks good and is complete having your CK after the initial submit date is not the end of the world.

Hopefully you will figure out the best thing to do in your situation. I would refer to:http://www.usmle.org/announcements/default.aspx?ContentId=97

So if I were to take it in end of Sept or Oct, will that be okay? or is it too late for interview consideration? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad :)
well if you take it by end of sept, youll get your scores by end of oct and you can update programs with your new (hopefully high!) score and maybe get another look from programs that have already passed you over.

well if you take it by end of sept, youll get your scores by end of oct and you can update programs with your new (hopefully high!) score and maybe get another look from programs that have already passed you over.

thanks for this! was actually gonna take the test in 2 days but had a panic attack last night since i hadn't finished UW and didn't do so hot on some practice tests... gonna buckle down for sure now