when to take the PCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

inmytree

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

Can anyone tell me when is the best time to take the PCAT? I plan on applying for admission in 06. I am currently taking Biology and Chemistry I. In the spring I'll be taking Chemistry II and either Anatomy or Microbiology. My math reqs are pretty much done, except Statistics.

Should I take the PCAT in the spring after completing Biology? Wait until after Chem II? Any suggestions?

Members don't see this ad.

inmytree said:
Hello,

Can anyone tell me when is the best time to take the PCAT? I plan on applying for admission in 06. I am currently taking Biology and Chemistry I. In the spring I'll be taking Chemistry II and either Anatomy or Microbiology. My math reqs are pretty much done, except Statistics.

Should I take the PCAT in the spring after completing Biology? Wait until after Chem II? Any suggestions?

i say you should take it as soon as you are done w/ gen chem and bio. you dont need to take all the organic classes before the PCAT. organic section in pcat is very limited, and mostly what you need to know for the test is covered in gen chem. these are crucial sections. pharmacy is all about chemistry and its physiological funtions. if you know them well, it will help you in pharmacy school not hurt you.

I would take it after you get finished with Bio I/II and Inorganic Chem I/II. Like the previous poster said, Organic isn't really that important. I did find Anatomy to be helpful, but its probably not necessary.

Good luck!

Actually, the PCAT is being changed so that Organic now plays a larger role in the exam than in past years. Basic Calculus has also now been added to the test.

KYMonty said:
Actually, the PCAT is being changed so that Organic now plays a larger role in the exam than in past years. Basic Calculus has also now been added to the test.

Thanks for pointing this out! I'm glad I got it out of the way before Organic! :laugh: