when to take Step II with high Step I score?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

slowbutsteady

slowbutsteady
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Yes, I searched!

I have over 250 on Step I and probably can only do worse on Step II. I have heard that if you take it late enough, residency directors will have already offered interviews before you get the score.

Is that right?
Do they care?
When is the latest you can take it?

(Sorry, new to this forum.)

Members don't see this ad.

I decided to take it right after 3rd year (early June). My thinking is that the score will probably be lower, but I will know the material best right after my 3rd year. Also, programs will want to see the Step II score anyway.

I am finishing up my interviews, so take this for whatever it's worth.

I had a very high Step 1, and planned to take Step 2 in Nov/Dec of fourth year. I had several advisors tell me to take it early, which I really resisted, but eventually decided to do. I took mine June 30, and fourth year started July 1 with two months of gensurg sub-i's.

If you take it so that the score is not available on the day that you submit ERAS (I'm told Sept 15 for next year?) then you can submit your USMLE transcript without the score and make sure you DON'T click the box that says update my USMLE transcript automatically. Then when you get the score you can release it or not as you choose and as programs require.

That's the classic way of scheduling Step 2 with a high Step 1. I would recommend, however, taking a practice test late in third year and see how you do. I bet you get a good score (Step 2 is a more straightforward test than Step 1) and consider taking it right after third year if A) you do well on the practice test and B) you are not finishing with surgery or OB. If you are on an easier rotation or IM, you can definitely take Step 2 right after third year, maybe even without taking time off. However, if you do that, be confident because that score will be on your transcript, good or not. I managed to improve by four points, and I think having all that third year knowledge fresh helped tremendously, despite only having four dedicated study days after my peds shelf.

I hear some competitive places want to see it - no one has commented on the fact I took it early to me, but it feels really good to have it done and to have two great scores sitting on my transcript.

Technically, as long as it's passed by the time you start residency or when your school requires a passing score (graduation, or some places have cutoffs), you can take it whenever you want.

Yes, I searched!

I have over 250 on Step I and probably can only do worse on Step II. I have heard that if you take it late enough, residency directors will have already offered interviews before you get the score.

Is that right?
Do they care?
When is the latest you can take it?

(Sorry, new to this forum.)

Some programs don't invite you for an interview unless you have a Step 2. Others interview but do not rank.

PDs may be more inclined to take a sure-shot (given you pass Step 2) vs someone that is not

Good Luck

Members don't see this ad :)
Some programs don't invite you for an interview unless you have a Step 2. Others interview but do not rank.

PDs may be more inclined to take a sure-shot (given you pass Step 2) vs someone that is not

Good Luck

If this is the case, do they let you know? I've completed my interviews and no one's mentioned anything about having to take Step2 to rank. Is this info given out only when asked?

i have this problem too, however, our school has a set date for when to take the Step II at the latest; havent decided whether to take it early in order to schedule electives/sub-I's in time to be able to get an LOR(s). i think the only way to answer that is to directly contact the programs you're interested in to see if they need Step II to interview or not.

If this is the case, do they let you know? I've completed my interviews and no one's mentioned anything about having to take Step2 to rank. Is this info given out only when asked?

San Antonio lets you know (but then again they do not interview until Step 2 is passed)
Galveston interviews but STRONGLY HINTED for me to take my Step 2

Can't go wrong with sending an email to the Chiefs although the rank list will be in pretty soon so it may be too late

I had a strong step I but a stellar step II... the Step II score definitely opened some doors for me. My interviewers commented about it and I can think of at least one program that told me they don't invite candidates without it. Programs definitely pay attention to the number if it's available.

As for when to take it, I would say your percentiles on the NBME shelf exams are a fairly good predictor of your performance. If you're scoring high on those and you can set aside dedicated time to prepare for the test, there's no reason not to take it early while the material is fresh.

I was wondering if I can solicit your opinions on this subject. I am applying to anesthesia and most places do not require step 2 score to rank you, but if you do well on your step 2, I heard that it helps your ranking. Well, I made a 260 on my step 1, and my step 2 score just came back as a 247. I know I didn't do that much worse on my step 2, but most people do better and I thought it would shed a negative light by the fact that my performance is declining. If you were in my shoe, would you update your USMLE transcript before ROLs are due? Thanks for your helps.

I was wondering if I can solicit your opinions on this subject. I am applying to anesthesia and most places do not require step 2 score to rank you, but if you do well on your step 2, I heard that it helps your ranking. Well, I made a 260 on my step 1, and my step 2 score just came back as a 247. I know I didn't do that much worse on my step 2, but most people do better and I thought it would shed a negative light by the fact that my performance is declining. If you were in my shoe, would you update your USMLE transcript before ROLs are due? Thanks for your helps.

You might get some differing opinions on this, but I'd go ahead and include it.

A 247 and a 260 might be a decent numerical difference, but the percentile difference has to be pretty minuscule. I really doubt a rational PD is going to think of that as a significant drop... On top of that, you're going to have a "complete file", they know that they can safely rank you and know that you're not going to come to them with a USMLE failure (or a 190) after matching there.

If you're still having doubts, you can always ask the PD/Chair of your home program... Mine is pretty good about giving opinions on these sort of questions.

If you want to take it and get it out of the way, do that...

There is no "high enough" to postpone magic number. Scratch that...if you broke 275, don't take step 2 until later, and then walk into all of your interviews with a business card that reads "Yeah...275 bitccch"

Otherwise there are essentially 3 schools of thought on when to take step 2:
1) If you have a high USLME step 1 score than don't potentially ruin it by taking step 2 until after the interview season; 2) If you have a high USLME step 1 score and you're a good test taker, why not take it to further enhance your application; and 3) you didn't do as well as you would have liked on step 1 so you must take step 2 early to show the doubters that you're not a test-taking risk.

All 3 are valid. Some schools, as mentioned, won't interview/rank without step 2. It is often on their websites, but sometimes isn't. I personally lean to category 2 above...but that's just me, it makes more sense and then it's out of the way

I got a pretty good Step 1 (260) and plan to take it in early September. Taking it at that time will allow me to control who sees it. If I drop down by more than 5 or 10 points I will only release it to the programs who require it to interview (don't know of any programs in my field that require it as of now but my knowledge is limited)

If I score close to Step 1 or higher obviously it makes sense to release it as soon as I get it.