When to take step II if you got a 99 on Step 1

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sga814

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
If you get a high(er) score on Step 1 and would prefer to delay Step II, when would you all recommend taking it?
In other words, when should you take it so that the residency programs don't receive the score prior to being Matched, but so you don't take it during grade IV senioritis season? Dec? Jan? Feb?
Thanks for opinions.

Members don't see this ad.

If you get a high(er) score on Step 1 and would prefer to delay Step II, when would you all recommend taking it?
In other words, when should you take it so that the residency programs don't receive the score prior to being Matched, but so you don't take it during grade IV senioritis season? Dec? Jan? Feb?
Thanks for opinions.

If i scored 99th percentile, i'd take step 2 as late as possible. The only way you're gonna go is down if you got a score that high, and the best you could possibly do is match that score.

I don't think I got 99th percentile, just 99 for the two-digit

Another way to look at it is you are good at taking USMLE exams and you might as well get it out of the way when you're ready. That's what I did...however I have not seen my scores yet. You can always just hold your score from programs if it isn't as stellar as the first score.