When to take Step 3?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Allerian1004

Practicing Vampire
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a curernt PGY1 in Pediatrics and just got my schedule for pgy 2 year. My program will reimburse us for the cost of Step 2 if we take and pass it in our 2nd year. I don't know when to take it with the goofy eligibility periods. I have relatively easy months block 1-3, (I would need to find coverage) but could take it then. Then my next opportunity is block 5. After that I can't till the end of the year. I do have relatively hard blocks leading up to when I could be taking the test. Would I be okay with doing an hour or two of questions daily for a month? (I had 99% percentile step I/II). And if I am aiming to take the test in one of those months how far in advance should I apply? I was planning to take it through CT. (I'm currently in Chicago). And I would be very flexible at the test site I could take it at. (I could do Indiana, Chicago or Milwaukee).

And, am I allowed to send in my CID early so it's all ready?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm a curernt PGY1 in Pediatrics and just got my schedule for pgy 2 year. My program will reimburse us for the cost of Step 2 if we take and pass it in our 2nd year. I don't know when to take it with the goofy eligibility periods. I have relatively easy months block 1-3, (I would need to find coverage) but could take it then. Then my next opportunity is block 5. After that I can't till the end of the year. I do have relatively hard blocks leading up to when I could be taking the test. Would I be okay with doing an hour or two of questions daily for a month? (I had 99% percentile step I/II). And if I am aiming to take the test in one of those months how far in advance should I apply? I was planning to take it through CT. (I'm currently in Chicago). And I would be very flexible at the test site I could take it at. (I could do Indiana, Chicago or Milwaukee).

And, am I allowed to send in my CID early so it's all ready?

Not sure if I'm the right person to be answering your question (as I am international), but I'll just throw my 2 cents. When you register and send your CID to FSMB, it'd take about 1-2 weeks for them to process and register you for Step 3 eligibility period. This period is 3 months, but they add a bit of time (usually 2-4 weeks) to the period to account for the processing time of your application. They added a whole month to mine.

So then when it's approved, you're good to go and pick a date on prometric.

There's really not much use to studying anything except maybe MTB? Yeah, a couple of blocks from Uworld daily would get you up and running with the Step 3 exam tempo. Just note the changes to Step 3 they recently implemented since feb 15th (you won't get your result back until June, I presume).

Take it as soon as you can! Register for it and take it as early as you can 2nd year so long as your program will pay for it. Only things to really study for are the CCS cases. In retrospect, I would have studied these a lot more, but luckilly my MCQ pulled me through.