When to take step 2 - taking year off for MPH

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

logos

100% Organic
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've decided to take a year off to get an MPH in clinical investigation between Med 3 and Med 4 years, basically a research year. One of the big questions I have at this point is if it would be better for me to take step 2 during this year off or during the med 4 year.

I see advantages to both.

If I take it during the summer after 3rd year I would have some time to study and would probably be already familiar with a great deal of the info, relating to the similarity of step 2 to the shelfs.

On the other hand, I performed very well on step 1, but am not particularly confident with regard to step 2 style questions. Before the MPH recently came into play, I was planning on waiting as long as my school allows to take step 2, such that residencies would have to make their decisions without having received my step 2 scores.

Anyone been in a similar situation? What do you think is the best course of action? Should I take it sooner or later? How much of a contribution do you think recent preparation for the shelfs has toward step 2 preperation?

Members don't see this ad.

I think taking Step II before you've done your clinical rotations would be crazy. That's when you learn most of the material. Step I can be pretty easily crammed for with first aid, etc. Step II, not so much.

I think taking Step II before you've done your clinical rotations would be crazy. That's when you learn most of the material. Step I can be pretty easily crammed for with first aid, etc. Step II, not so much.

Sorry...should have been more clear. I'm currently finishing my 3rd year clinicals. My choices are to take it after third year in the usual fashion or take a year off before taking it.

Sorry...should have been more clear. I'm currently finishing my 3rd year clinicals. My choices are to take it after third year in the usual fashion or take a year off before taking it.

My $0.02. As you said, the info will be fresh in summer after 3rd year and I tihnk that would be the best time to take it. If you are not confident, then you can always take it in your 4th year. Take a few ICU electives early in 4th year, which should be plenty to jog your memory from 3rd year, then take a month off to study for step II. This way you can have best of both worlds I guess. With your good step I score, you will score lots of interviews and you won't have to release your Step II scores to programs until you see them.

:luck:

You will do fine with the Step 2 style of questioning if you rocked Step 1, don't let that be a hindrance.

I am currently in the application process and consensus is probably to hold off on Step 2. If you already have a great Step 1 score all you could do is hurt yourself.

My 2 cents.