When to take Step 2 if do not want it to be seen

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SupremeSurgeon

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I took Step 1 this past summer and performed well enough for my residency of choice. So I really don't care about using my step 2 score for residency application. I just want to pass step 2 so I can graduate. I'm just wondering when would be the best time to take step 2 so that it will not be on my residency application. Thanks for your reply.

Members don't see this ad.

I took Step 1 this past summer and performed well enough for my residency of choice. So I really don't care about using my step 2 score for residency application. I just want to pass step 2 so I can graduate. I'm just wondering when would be the best time to take step 2 so that it will not be on my residency application. Thanks for your reply.

If you really don't care, then take it at your earliest convenience (regardless of when the results will become available) and get it out of the way.

But something tells me that you are worried about the score affecting your residency application. If so, then take the test no earlier than 6wks prior to match day - that way your score definitely won't be released before the match list is finalized.

Best of Luck

Be careful, though -- I had a PD tell us that he would not rank anyone if he didn't have their passing scores in hand by his ROL deadline. Maybe this is a DO thing, but I'd ask around and make sure postponing Step 2 won't keep you from matching at certain schools.

agreed,

i have a strong step 1 as well but took the step 2 in late oct..last week actually. I am applying radiology and indicated on my application to not release the scores automatically.

the thing is you can always not release your score if you feel like you didnt do as well. But like one of the above posters said, some programs wont rank you at all if they dont have your step 2 scores before they send out their rank list.

Members don't see this ad :)

I was wondering the same thing. I killed Step 1, and was planning on delaying Step 2 so nobody sees it since I can only go down, which seems to be the strategy I hear about on this forum so often. Problem is I just found out our school mandates that we take Step 2 by Sept 30. Does that mean every program I apply to will see the score? Also, if we take the test and choose not to release our score can they see that we are doing that and does it look bad like we are trying to hide something?

I was wondering the same thing. I killed Step 1, and was planning on delaying Step 2 so nobody sees it since I can only go down, which seems to be the strategy I hear about on this forum so often. Problem is I just found out our school mandates that we take Step 2 by Sept 30. Does that mean every program I apply to will see the score? Also, if we take the test and choose not to release our score can they see that we are doing that and does it look bad like we are trying to hide something?

I've been asked at interviews if I have taken Step 2. I haven't, but if I had, and I had chosen not to release, I think I would have trouble lying about it at the interview if they asked me directly. So just keep that in mind. I'm not sure there is any way they could find out though if you say you haven't taken it (and they surely won't double-check).

Be careful, though -- I had a PD tell us that he would not rank anyone if he didn't have their passing scores in hand by his ROL deadline. Maybe this is a DO thing, but I'd ask around and make sure postponing Step 2 won't keep you from matching at certain schools.

I heard rumors of this too, but I've found on the interview trail that nobody cares about Step 2 since I did so well on Step 1. They don't even ask about it. I guess they figure anyone who rocks Step 1 will have no trouble passing Step 2, so it will not be an issue.