When to take Step 2 CK for derm?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OHartiste

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi current M4s and recently matched Derm residents,

I'm a M3 interested in pursuing derm and for Step 1, I got mid-240's. I've been hearing some mixed answers about when to take Step 2 CK in my M4 year (summer vs. late fall)...can you give me some advices as to when it would be the best time to take CK given my Step 1 score?

Maybe also share a little on when you took yours and if you are glad or regret taking it then, or any other advice regarding the whole process? Any feedback is much appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

much has been written on this subject, the opinions are rampant and varied

I interviewed in the winter of 2011/2012 (last cycle) in predominantly the north east with a few in the mid-west/south.

I was urged to take it early and knew my score before interviews, very good score too.
No one asked, and I think no one cared.
Most of the other applicants I spoke with at interview days had not taken step 2 and were planning to take it after interviews

I felt stupid for taking it early since I had gotten a very good step 1 score

ask yourself this question, do you need to prove that you can get good board scores after your step 1 score? I think if you get a 270+, then you will open some doors. less than a 230 and you can close many more. 230 to 260 and you really havent changed anyone's mind about you.

In my impression, most programs only used boards to filter applicants. If you were above said bar, then you got to the next round of selections. I think you will pass at least a few program filters with your step 1 score. . . .

that said, you gotta take step 2 eventually and maybe you don't want it hangin over your head.

Maybe you like taking tests . . . .

I was pressured into taking my test very early because I was told it is what was expected by programs. My school does not have a derm residency, so I don't know why I listened, but I did. I actually think my med school wanted me to take it early so that they could just have all the numbers in and my dean could take her annual vacation in december without worrying about people not graduating. Honestly, not a single program I interviewed at cared in the slightest. Maybe they just didn't mention it, but other applicants should not have been their if this was the case.

My 2 cents . . . .

Hi current M4s and recently matched Derm residents,

I'm a M3 interested in pursuing derm and for Step 1, I got mid-240's. I've been hearing some mixed answers about when to take Step 2 CK in my M4 year (summer vs. late fall)...can you give me some advices as to when it would be the best time to take CK given my Step 1 score?

Maybe also share a little on when you took yours and if you are glad or regret taking it then, or any other advice regarding the whole process? Any feedback is much appreciated!

Took mine very late fall. There may be a handful of programs who are interested in your CK but the vast majority will not care

Just took step 2 New Year's Eve, and just hoping that I did not go down too much.

I am not sure if there is an optimal time to take it. If you look at the "Charting outcomes in the match" document, it says that many programs value a step 2 score. Then again, I've already done 6 interviews, and not one has asked about it. So for those particular schools in the midwest and south, I doubt that it matters. However, it's possible that not having a step 2 prevented some schools from offering me an interview. If you choose to follow conventional wisdom and defer the step 2 until after applications are in, BE SURE and do NOT automatically retransmit your score when it comes in. A low step 2 could hurt a high step 1 a great deal, but a high step 2 will only help a little, if at all.

Here are a couple links of interest
http://www.derminterest.org/phpbb3/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=259
http://206.82.221.135/showthread.php?p=12955480