When to stop taking new patients

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

xavier2000

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Contact ending with a multi-specialty practice. No other psychiatrist at practice currently. One will start after I leave. When do I stop taking new patients and are there documents resources for this? I did a bit of search and is mostly about patient abandonment. TIA.

Members don't see this ad.

When are you done and does your contract allow you to decide if you stop taking new patients or not? If you do keep taking new patients, I’d be upfront from the first visit that you’re leaving by X date, to give them the opportunity to switch to someone else.

Reactions: 2 users
I saw new patients essentially to the end of my employed life doing OP work, however all patients scheduled following my 120 day notice were informed of my upcoming departure and that new visits would likely be consultations to then return to PCP with. This worked fairly well, or at least as well as it could work given the complete lack of CAP in the area I left.

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
When you cannot put your own established patients into your schedule within a comfortable manner for both you and the patient then you definitely have too many patients and should not take any new ones.

Even if your patients love you expect some of them to stop seeing you cause their insurance changed, they moved, died, got better to the point where they needed to see you far less or not at all, or their PCP was able to continue their meds once you got them on the magic regimen. So you're likely always going to take some new patients here and there. You will have to, from time to time, close the valve and not take anymore.
--------------
In your specific situation I wouldn't take new patients unless I had more knowledge of the hours of the psychiatrist taking over. Explain to patients you're transferring care. Make sure you follow federal and state laws with patients still having access to their records. You can write a termination letter to be safe but also stating you're referring to the new doctor to take over to CYA.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
You're a doctor first, employee second. You stop seeing new patients whenever your professional judgment and clinical experience deems it not prudent, and you say so.

Reactions: 4 users
You're a doctor first, employee second. You stop seeing new patients whenever your professional judgment and clinical experience deems it not prudent, and you say so.
I did this once before at an old Big Box shop job. The med dir tried making an issue out of it. Big fiasco.

I did this once before at an old Big Box shop job. The med dir tried making an issue out of it. Big fiasco.
Someone once said the only difference between borderline personality patients and one's med director is the latter does not have to make an appointment to see you. Makes sense, both like to raise a ruckus when you exercise judgment and say no. I guess the other difference is one may threaten you personally, while the other may threaten you professionally.

OP is leaving for greener pastures. So might as well practice saying no.