When to start STEP 1 prep

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ppushpak

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm an incoming M1 interested in surgical specialties such as Ortho/Ophtho/Gen Surg (1a/1b, 3). I know my mind may change throughout medical school but I was thinking that if I score well on STEP 1 I can make that decision later even if I don't have abundant research exposure (I understand Ortho needs a lot of research so that is my current plan). I was wondering if anyone started STEP Prep early in M1 and found that knowledge to remain when they took STEP at the end of M2. My school's curriculum is designed as 1.5 years preclinical with about 8 weeks dedicated prior to STEP (plan is to take mid-late February/early March 2021).

If I were to do this plan, I was thinking Zanki (plan is to go through the deck prior to dedicated), UWorld/FA/Pathoma/Sketchy when Systems start (2nd semester of M1). Am I fooling myself thinking I can do all of these outside resources along with using in-class resources? Any recommendations/opinions?

Members don't see this ad.

Do Zanki along with your classwork/system you are in. Keep up with the reviews. You will save time this way by studying for class effectively. I repeat: KEEP UP WITH THE REVIEWS.

My biggest regret was doing Zanki/Anki in general for classwork, then dumping it all after a system//test was over. All that time spent learning the info was a waste since I had to relearn it all during "step 1 studying." If I had just kept up with reviews I would have gone into dedicated absolutely CRUSHING IT. Instead, I've spent about 12 hours per day the last 6 months trying to mature about 24,000 cards with little time for UWorld. It's been a pain in the ass. Don't be like me. Just do Zanki or Lightyear and keep up with those damn reviews.

I go to a DO school, and a few of my classmates who kept up with their reviews for the last two years went into "dedicated" with 260s on their baseline exams. They have spent a lot of time on the beach the last few months, while I've spent a lot of time on my couch. Don't be me.

Reactions: 1 users
You'll remember the material if you do spaced repetition. I recommend starting early as well - it doesn't have to be heavy studying, but enough so you're not having to learn massive amounts of new material during dedicated.

Do Zanki along with your classwork/system you are in. Keep up with the reviews. You will save time this way by studying for class effectively. I repeat: KEEP UP WITH THE REVIEWS.

My biggest regret was doing Zanki/Anki in general for classwork, then dumping it all after a system//test was over. All that time spent learning the info was a waste since I had to relearn it all during "step 1 studying." If I had just kept up with reviews I would have gone into dedicated absolutely CRUSHING IT. Instead, I've spent about 12 hours per day the last 6 months trying to mature about 24,000 cards with little time for UWorld. It's been a pain in the ass. Don't be like me. Just do Zanki or Lightyear and keep up with those damn reviews.

I go to a DO school, and a few of my classmates who kept up with their reviews for the last two years went into "dedicated" with 260s on their baseline exams. They have spent a lot of time on the beach the last few months, while I've spent a lot of time on my couch. Don't be me.

How do you recommend doing zanki in a traditional curriculum?