When to start lipid lowering medications in CAD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Bagheera

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
There seems to be some confusion from differnet sources regarding when to start cholestrol meds. UWORLD says start meds for CAD or CAD equivalent if LDL is >130 from what I remember. Other places I am seeing are saying start them if its above 100. What is the correct answer regarding this ? thanks1

Members don't see this ad.

There seems to be some confusion from differnet sources regarding when to start cholestrol meds. UWORLD says start meds for CAD or CAD equivalent if LDL is >130 from what I remember. Other places I am seeing are saying start them if its above 100. What is the correct answer regarding this ? thanks1

I have this question as well. Thanks in advance.

UWorld is also internally conflicting regarding this (different questions with different guidelines). Last time I had access to the complete suite of questions I sent them a message in the feedback icon of the respective questions. I don't know whether they took out the question or altered it. Of note is that Step Up uses the 130 cutoff, but my preceptor mentioned using 100 as a guideline for medications.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)

I guess the goal is less then LDL < 100, with lifestyle modifications used as primary preventive measure between 100-130 in CAD equivalents, and medications as primary preventive measure in patients with LDL >130. But if lifestyle modification fails, then medications would be required. The ultimate goal is to have a LDL <100 in CAD/ CAD equivalents. Correct me if I am wrong.

I guess the goal is less then LDL < 100, with lifestyle modifications used as primary preventive measure between 100-130 in CAD equivalents, and medications as primary preventive measure in patients with LDL >130. But if lifestyle modification fails, then medications would be required. The ultimate goal is to have a LDL <100 in CAD/ CAD equivalents. Correct me if I am wrong.

thats exactly what I got from UWORLD but some other sources say to start meds if LDL>100 and doesnt even mention ne thing about lifestyle changes for 100-130, so if on the exam i see this type of question i dont know what to put

thats exactly what I got from UWORLD but some other sources say to start meds if LDL>100 and doesnt even mention ne thing about lifestyle changes for 100-130, so if on the exam i see this type of question i dont know what to put

The table you're referring to from UWorld comes from the ATP III guidelines. It is the same table as given in the original guidelines.

Take a look at the update of the ATP III guidelines i.e. :

http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/guidelines/cholesterol/atp3upd04.pdf
Refer to Pg 228, 1st column last paragraph.

I haven't found anything more current than these guidelines.

At least in real life, for someone with a CAD equivalent, you start them on meds+lifestyle interventions if their LDL is >100 (or, if you feel they're EXTREMELY high risk because of things like multiple previous MIs, LDL >70). Note, there's no "lifestyle only" option for these very high risk people.

For someone who has multiple risk factors but no CAD equivalent, you do drugs at LDL >130, lifestyle interventions (+/- drugs) at LDL 100-129. Most people just do statins either way.

For someone with 0-1 risk factors, you're OK with LDL being up to 160.

At least in real life, for someone with a CAD equivalent, you start them on meds+lifestyle interventions if their LDL is >100 (or, if you feel they're EXTREMELY high risk because of things like multiple previous MIs, LDL >70). Note, there's no "lifestyle only" option for these very high risk people.

For someone who has multiple risk factors but no CAD equivalent, you do drugs at LDL >130, lifestyle interventions (+/- drugs) at LDL 100-129. Most people just do statins either way.

For someone with 0-1 risk factors, you're OK with LDL being up to 160.

This sounds right, I remember reading it somewhere during my medicine rotation but don't remember where. It made the most sense in trying to reconcile the information from various sources when I read it at the time.