when to send letters of interest to waitlisted schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

xsxoxfx7

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all, So far in this season, I've been accepted at 1 program and waitlisted at 3. I'm wondering when I should be sending these schools letters of interest. I definitely don't want to be overbearing but I want to let them know that I am interested.

School 1: Interviewed in October (sent LOI/update), wait listed in January.
I sent a LOI/update on March 24th (per schools request) and another April 18th.

School 2: Interviewed in December (sent LOI/update), wait listed in December
I sent a LOI/update on April 18th

School 3: Interviewed March after sending 2 updates, sent a thank you letter post-update, put on alternate list (not high priority wait list) in March.
Have not sent anything since

I would prefer to go to any of these schools over the one I have been accepted at. I know that most of movement happens around traffic day. For Schools 1 and 2, should I just sit and wait at this point?

Members don't see this ad.

For the first two schools you sent a letter last Saturday-6 days ago. They know you want to go there. At this point I'd think you were acting desperate and annoying. Relax. You have an acceptance. Start planning to attend that school. If something else happens wonderful! If not you are still going to medical school.

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile app

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Can you tell us how YOU would interpret a non-binding contract from a desperate applicant????

Hi all, So far in this season, I've been accepted at 1 program and waitlisted at 3. I'm wondering when I should be sending these schools letters of interest. I definitely don't want to be overbearing but I want to let them know that I am interested.

School 1: Interviewed in October (sent LOI/update), wait listed in January.
I sent a LOI/update on March 24th (per schools request) and another April 18th.

School 2: Interviewed in December (sent LOI/update), wait listed in December
I sent a LOI/update on April 18th

School 3: Interviewed March after sending 2 updates, sent a thank you letter post-update, put on alternate list (not high priority wait list) in March.
Have not sent anything since

I would prefer to go to any of these schools over the one I have been accepted at. I know that most of movement happens around traffic day. For Schools 1 and 2, should I just sit and wait at this point?

Reactions: 1 user
Can you tell us how YOU would interpret a non-binding contract from a desperate applicant????
I would appreciate the student taking the time to express that they are interested in my program, actually.

The schools I have been waitlisted at all encourage students to send letters so I would hardly consider it a desperate attempt.

Reactions: 2 users
I would appreciate the student taking the time to express that they are interested in my program, actually.

The schools I have been waitlisted at all encourage students to send letters so I would hardly consider it a desperate attempt.
Not to mention some schools actually require a letter of interest to remain on their waitlists (lookin' at you, GW).

The question then arises if a student has an acceptance and has three other schools that he/she has been waitlisted, which school does he/she send a "Letter of Intent" which is usually defined that if he/she would take the acceptance if offered and would attend there. The OP has implied that he/she would attend any of the three schools he/she WL and thus implies he/she would send LOI to all three schools. Promising three different schools you would attend if offered seems to stretch the bounds of credulity as well as ethics.
Sorry, I by LOI I meant Letter of Interest, not Intent. I absolutely agree that it is unethical to send three schools a letter of intent. I am planning to send one a letter of intent and two others letters of interest.

cant speak for OP.

If I was an AdCom, I would view it positively. The student is still interested in our school despite having other options. the word desperate is ridiculous. If someone is put on a hold post interview and they would like to attend, then I would see that student as being proactive instead of listening to poor advice by verified faculty about not even sending one.

every school is different, OP, but you have nothing to lose. send the letters as you please. be sure to be specific and to not make it "run of the mill"

Mere semantics. The schools treat these love letters in the same way as any hot chick treats a guy who says "but I'll still respect you in the morning!"

Sorry, I by LOI I meant Letter of Interest, not Intent. I absolutely agree that it is unethical to send three schools a letter of intent. I am planning to send one a letter of intent and two others letters of interest.

Reactions: 2 users
The OP wrote 2 letters on 4/18 (Monday)and now he wants to write 3 more letters. Isn't that a bit much?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Reactions: 1 user

The student already did that via AMCAS, the secondary application, and attending the interview. Every year schools get piles of these letters and most of them mean absolutely nothing other than to signify the student does not intend to withdraw (yet).

Reactions: 1 users
Letters of interest are useless. Some schools consider LOIs (intent). If you didn't hear anything on interview day/email correspondence/etc about LOIs then the school most likely doesn't care.