When to send #1 email

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

duckie99

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys so we have discussed what to say and the like in your expression of interest emails... and since we can now begin making our rank lists when exactly is the best time to send these emails out?

I figure sending it to the PD after the program has finished all its interviews? But how early is too early? Now? Next week? 2 weeks?

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys so we have discussed what to say and the like in your expression of interest emails... and since we can now begin making our rank lists when exactly is the best time to send these emails out?

I figure sending it to the PD after the program has finished all its interviews? But how early is too early? Now? Next week? 2 weeks?

2 weeks ago or so was probably a good time.

2 weeks ago or so was probably a good time.

Before we interview at the program... that's a little presumptuous.

I am j/k. I do still have multiple weeks of interviewing left so I am interested in an answer that would apply to my field as well. Thanks

Since I bet many programs don't change their ROL's based on these, it basically doesn't matter. Honestly, you are seriously overthinking this.

As others have said, it doesn't matter. If you happen to send it before they finish their interview season, it's not like they're going to forget you sent the number 1 letter when they finally do get around to making the list. And as aPD said, it's unlikely to affect their list anyways and probably something that students do more for themselves to be at peace that they did "everything possible" to try and get to their top choice.

Follow up. Should we send these emails to the PD or the coordinator and ask if she can forward it?

Thanksb

Follow up. Should we send these emails to the PD or the coordinator and ask if she can forward it?

Thanksb

Last year, I sent it directly to the PD, and got a nice reply back. Doubt it changed my position on the final list, but it made me feel better. Result: matched.

Last year, I sent it directly to the PD, and got a nice reply back. Doubt it changed my position on the final list, but it made me feel better. Result: matched.

Did the reply have any hint to your position on their list?

The program I am 95% sure I will be ranking #1 has already finished interviewing applicants, but I have 3 more interviews left to go. I know the program could be in the process of compiling their initial ROL now, so part of me wants to go ahead and send them the "I'm ranking you #1" email to hopefully get a favorable spot on their initial list, but I also don't want them to somehow know I am not done with my interview season and therefore view my "I'm ranking you #1" email as insincere. I know many of you will say I'm overthinking this and it doesn't matter, but aside from that, haha, anyone have any advice on what to send to the PD or when to send it?

The program I am 95% sure I will be ranking #1 has already finished interviewing applicants, but I have 3 more interviews left to go. I know the program could be in the process of compiling their initial ROL now, so part of me wants to go ahead and send them the "I'm ranking you #1" email to hopefully get a favorable spot on their initial list, but I also don't want them to somehow know I am not done with my interview season and therefore view my "I'm ranking you #1" email as insincere. I know many of you will say I'm overthinking this and it doesn't matter, but aside from that, haha, anyone have any advice on what to send to the PD or when to send it?

Wait until you finish interviewing. You might really like one of your last 3 interviews.

Did the reply have any hint to your position on their list?

Not really, beyond the "we would love to see you on our final match list" stuff that everyone gets.

Program Director not responding to your "I will rank you number 1/sell my soul to go there" E-mail means they are not interested?

Cause now I cant send another number 1 letter to another program which might have been interested in me...but now might become not interested since I am not telling them they are my number 1.

First of all, let's get things straight. These "I'm ranking you #1" emails, probably don't carry much weight.

Second, you already told your #1 that they are #1. That means, there cannot be another #1. Come on people.

Was thinking that too. Suppose I'm an average applicant vying for a reach program, why would a program NOT rank its "reach applicants" first....if they get them, they are happy....if they get me, they are still content because i actually wanna be there. I feel as though in the end its all a wash, you put your reaches first, they put theirs.
This is why you shouldn't worry about this any more. In general, both programs and applicants should rank people in the order that they want them. If you send me an "I luv u I am ranking you #111!!111" email / letter, that's really nice. I get the warm fuzzies. But, honestly, I'm not going to move you much on my rank list. If you're #100, I still want the other 99 people more. If I don't get enough of them, then I'll get you. Just like you shouldn't change how you rank your programs based upon the lack of response. Either you'll match at your #1, or if not, you'll then match at your #2 (or 3, 4, etc), but you don't decrease your chances of matching at your #2. You have nothing to lose by ranking a long shot #1. And neither do I.

Yes, there perhaps is some benefit to me to have people who want to be at my program. I would rather have someone who ranks me #1 rather than someone who ranked me #10, because presumably the former will be happier. But not always. There's a great thread here on SDN posted by a long time poster right after the match, about how ANGRY he was. He was pissed, ended up much farther down his list than he thought. Everyone lied to him, etc. The thread goes on for multiple pages and 100's of posts. At the end, he comes back a year later. Totally happy. Realizes that he likely would have been miserable at his #1. Totally loves his program.

So, I usually don't adjust anything based upon these #1 emails. I've been lied to enough times that I just don't really believe them anymore. Might it help break a tie? I guess so, but I've never had a year where it;s made a difference.

So, I usually don't adjust anything based upon these #1 emails. I've been lied to enough times that I just don't really believe them anymore. Might it help break a tie? I guess so, but I've never had a year where it;s made a difference.

I guess the same might go for people who did 2nd visits. Would those help break a tie between applicants?
I wanted to do one to figure out how to rank my top 3 but I don't have the money or energy anymore! hope richer people wouldn't look more interested than I am lol.

I have heard of programs where PDs will respond (assuming the program has made their final list) with some sort of phrasing telling you that ranking them #1 should provide a match. Too much to hope for maybe...

Part of the problem is that people finish their rank lists early and then they want to certify and know right away. We all want some sort of heads up to relive the anxiety of waiting for a month till March 15.

I received an email saying this earlier in December. They weren't done interviewing yet and even though, took it with a grain of salt.

I guess the same might go for people who did 2nd visits. Would those help break a tie between applicants?
I wanted to do one to figure out how to rank my top 3 but I don't have the money or energy anymore! hope richer people wouldn't look more interested than I am lol.

Ah, wanted to know this as well.

More so I was JUST invited to IV (was waitlisted before) and I've noticed people before me have been invited to a 2nd look visit (which happens to occur before my iv date).

Is it still worth going into the IV considering I'm probably already in the last tier?

Depends if you want to go there. If yes, you should go so you can rank them. Your chances are lower but not zero.

I have heard of programs where PDs will respond (assuming the program has made their final list) with some sort of phrasing telling you that ranking them #1 should provide a match. Too much to hope for maybe...

I think the chances of a very strong hint are best at your home program where you know the leadership well. That was the case at my home program. Both the PD and the assistant PD discreetly, but quite clearly, hinted that I was RTM. PDs from outside institutions likely won't say much, especially in an email to an applicant they don't know very well.

I sent the # 1 email the other day. Got a nice generic, vague response. "very happy to hear that, really nice meeting you.... Best of luck in the match"

I sent the # 1 email the other day. Got a nice generic, vague response. "very happy to hear that, really nice meeting you.... Best of luck in the match"

Can't be worse than sending one and not getting any response...which is what happened to me.

I wouldn't read too much into it. It's not like most PDs would explicitly write something like "Sweet, you are totally ranked to match!" so they'll either stick to some generic email (to give you peace of mind/cover bases if you actually do end up matching) or just adhere to some policy of not replying.

Anyone else care to share what the PD said in response to your #1 email. Like another person on here, I got the "Thank you. It was nice meeting you. Glad you liked us." reply. Not going to lie, I was kind of hoping for a "See you in July" reply. It could've seriously eased my mind. LOL. Well, what did everyone get told?

Anyone else care to share what the PD said in response to your #1 email. Like another person on here, I got the "Thank you. It was nice meeting you. Glad you liked us." reply. Not going to lie, I was kind of hoping for a "See you in July" reply. It could've seriously eased my mind. LOL. Well, what did everyone get told?

"Thank you. It was nice meeting you. Glad you liked us."

the PD's reply to my email mentioned something about flying me over (with the hospital's private jet, obviously) to sign a 3-year contract in blood. i dont know why he's being so coy :(

Reactions: 1 user
the PD's reply to my email mentioned something about flying me over (with the hospital's private jet, obviously) to sign a 3-year contract in blood. i dont know why he's being so coy :(

This actually sounds kinda awesome. I wish any program on my list would give me such an offer :laugh:

Ok so ....
I ended up telling My top 3 programs that they are my "first choice" and got good responses from all three of them.

The responses didn't say you will be ranked but were like, you made a good impression we would love to train you ect.

It kind of makes it worse because now the choice is all mine.

Ok so ....
I ended up telling My top 3 programs that they are my "first choice" and got good responses from all three of them.

The responses didn't say you will be ranked but were like, you made a good impression we would love to train you ect.

Actually, that's a stock answer, means nothing. Regardless, you should rank in the order you want to go to programs, but don't get your hopes completely set on whatever ends up as your #1.

As I've said before, enough people tell me that they are ranking me #1 and then end up elsewhere that I basically don't believe anyone anymore.

Ok so ....

so you have three first choices? good job.:rolleyes:

Exactly why aPD doesn't believe anyone anymore lol.

Oh well, at least it saves some of us lazy ones from sending a BS email to programs.

I don't know... I'm really annoyed that other people's dishonesty will devalue my honesty.

This is the response I received after sending my #1:

You are an outstanding candidate, and we are delighted that you have decided to rank [insert program name here] #1. Considering the quality of candidates who - like you - have indicated their strong desire to train at [insert program name here] , I am confident that we will have another outstanding Match.

He also CCed the email to 4 others in the department, including the chairman.

This is the response I received after sending my #1:

You are an outstanding candidate, and we are delighted that you have decided to rank [insert program name here] #1. Considering the quality of candidates who - like you - have indicated their strong desire to train at [insert program name here] , I am confident that we will have another outstanding Match.

He also CCed the email to 4 others in the department, including the chairman.

For those frustrated by the lack of a PD --> English option in Google Translate, see below.

"Dear Stellar Clouds (and the other X applicants BCC'd on this email) you're clearly smart, have good grades and board scores and - most importantly - managed to hide your inherent sociopathology well enough during your interview day to convince us that working with you would probably be better than having to do the work ourselves.

We routinely go down to #X on our rank list. You are ranked somewhere in the Top X of our list and as such, even if we go all the way down to you, we're still probably going to be OK which is frankly all we care about."

So for a program that I interviewed in during early December... even with no look second, there is absolutely no need to contact them or touch base with them because it'll do little to nothing... more likely the latter.

Esp if this is my top 3 program on the ROL.

Is it policy to send out these emails? Should you let your No.1 know they're No.1? Is there any downside to it?

I don't know... I'm really annoyed that other people's dishonesty will devalue my honesty.

Yes, it must be so annoying that in the real world, people can make decisions based on criteria which differs from your own.

Yes, it must be so annoying that in the real world, people can make decisions based on criteria which differs from your own.

I wish this was Reddit so I could downvote you. Yes, it is annoying that professionals are dishonest, hence hurting all the honest people out there.

Actually, that's a stock answer, means nothing. Regardless, you should rank in the order you want to go to programs, but don't get your hopes completely set on whatever ends up as your #1.

As I've said before, enough people tell me that they are ranking me #1 and then end up elsewhere that I basically don't believe anyone anymore.
It sounds like you've been "burned" before?

This is unfortunate because I really want to trust my #1. I do, and I told them they were number 1. I got good feedback from them telling me they were highly interested, hope to talk in the future, and what I thought was the most "convincing" was the osteo PD telling me that 3 phone calls were being made for 3 spots, one call being to me. We'll see in 2 weeks, I guess.

It sounds like you've been "burned" before?

This is unfortunate because I really want to trust my #1. I do, and I told them they were number 1. I got good feedback from them telling me they were highly interested, hope to talk in the future, and what I thought was the most "convincing" was the osteo PD telling me that 3 phone calls were being made for 3 spots, one call being to me. We'll see in 2 weeks, I guess.

Best of luck! I hope to hear that you received that phone call.

I decided to only send a letter to my #1 and leave everything else, just because I think a letter of interest to my other top choices that doesn't explicitly state "You are my top choice" kind of makes it clear that they're not my #1. Looking through SDN though, this topic has been debated ad nauseum and bottom line is that it probably doesn't hurt but probably doesn't matter either.

Has anyone called and let the PD know that they are ranking them #1? I've heard this being done but I feel it is "Match Neurosis/Nonsense". Supposedly calling translates into "it is harder to lie over the phone, so I really am ranking you #1."

I dunno, but I think that as a PD, I would get annoyed if I got a ton of extra phone calls. Perhaps it depends on the specialty that you're applying for but I probably wouldn't call for IM.