When to Register for NAPLEX?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Macfanatic

Pharmacist
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
4th year pharmacy student on rotation from a school that is notorious for notifying its students at the last minute for anything (changes, new requirements, etc.) and was wondering if anyone knew when I should register for the NAPLEX. I graduate in May and want to take the NAPLEX ASAP. Unsure of where I will be living after graduation and trying to come up with a deadline for when I have to decide where I will be relocating too. The deadline for registering to take the NAPLEX will be my deadline for choosing where to move.

Members don't see this ad.

4th year pharmacy student on rotation from a school that is notorious for notifying its students at the last minute for anything (changes, new requirements, etc.) and was wondering if anyone knew when I should register for the NAPLEX. I graduate in May and want to take the NAPLEX ASAP. Unsure of where I will be living after graduation and trying to come up with a deadline for when I have to decide where I will be relocating too. The deadline for registering to take the NAPLEX will be my deadline for choosing where to move.

What state are you in? I know in Florida, the school sends our transcripts/info to the Board of Pharmacy and then we have to fill out an application. It's reviewed and the Board of Pharmacy grants us permission to take the exam as long as there isn't anything questionable in our answers on the application. (I went to the BOP meeting in August and they required a few people to come to the meeting and answer some questions before allowing them to take the NAPLEX). Once they approve it you get a letter saying what days the test is available for you to take. This is my understanding of how things work in Florida. Not sure if that's how it is in other states though. BTW I just went to www.nabp.net and they have a FAQ page which answers your questions.

What state are you in? I know in Florida, the school sends our transcripts/info to the Board of Pharmacy and then we have to fill out an application. It's reviewed and the Board of Pharmacy grants us permission to take the exam as long as there isn't anything questionable in our answers on the application. (I went to the BOP meeting in August and they required a few people to come to the meeting and answer some questions before allowing them to take the NAPLEX). Once they approve it you get a letter saying what days the test is available for you to take. This is my understanding of how things work in Florida. Not sure if that's how it is in other states though. BTW I just went to www.nabp.net and they have a FAQ page which answers your questions.

Thanks for replying. I've looked at the FAQ section at the NABP website and read the pdf file "Bulletin", but it does not have anything other than what you posted. I know I can go ahead and register now, but I am considering moving out of state (unsure of which state, considering moving to North Carolina, Florida or out west) and will need to have my intern hours transferred. Also, I know there is a date that we have to notify our school of the state we wish to test (for some reason my school is unable to provide that date at this time). I want to take boards as soon as possible after graduation and really just trying to get an idea of how long I have to decide where I will be moving too.

Thanks for replying. I've looked at the FAQ section at the NABP website and read the pdf file "Bulletin", but it does not have anything other than what you posted. I know I can go ahead and register now, but I am considering moving out of state (unsure of which state, considering moving to North Carolina, Florida or out west) and will need to have my intern hours transferred. Also, I know there is a date that we have to notify our school of the state we wish to test (for some reason my school is unable to provide that date at this time). I want to take boards as soon as possible after graduation and really just trying to get an idea of how long I have to decide where I will be moving too.

From what I've heard it depends on how soon your school turns in your paperwork proving that you graduated from the PharmD program. My school hasn't given us those dates yet either and I don't think it's because they're hiding it- I just believe it's not been announced yet. With the NAPLEX just being reinstated I think that they are very backed up right now. As far as transferring intern hours you'll have to look at the Board of Pharmacy website for whichever states you're considering on moving to. Most of the students I talked to last year wanted to go and take it ASAP too but the soonest i heard of someont taking it was late June/July...it's just a matter of paperwork. Unfortunately for you I think it's just a wait and see matter as of now. I'd go ahead and research what it'll take to get licensed in those other states though. Also keep in mind that some states require a wet lab (I know Georgia does) so that will take longer until you can get licensed. Good luck.