When to order transcript

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Tikopia

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all, I plan on ordering my college transcript as soon as AMCAS opens on 5/1. However, I have several spring courses that likely will not have their grades posted until mid May (semester schedule). If I put in the transcript order on 5/1, when I apply on 5/30 would I list my spring courses as In Progress?

If so, is there a definite need to update schools on my grades later? Like is it mandatory to do so? These are not pre req courses, just science electives.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi all, I plan on ordering my college transcript as soon as AMCAS opens on 5/1. However, I have several spring courses that likely will not have their grades posted until mid May (semester schedule). If I put in the transcript order on 5/1, when I apply on 5/30 would I list my spring courses as In Progress?

If so, is there a definite need to update schools on my grades later? Like is it mandatory to do so? These are not pre req courses, just science electives.
I mean this cycle will be my first time doing AMCAS as well so I have no experience there but if your school uses parchment or whatever other e-delivering service for transcripts like most do, it doesn't take that long. I think when I applied to my current school as a transfer, my transcripts were sent via parchment in about 3 days. You should be fine waiting till your transcript is updated then requesting.

Reactions: 1 user
I mean this cycle will be my first time doing AMCAS as well so I have no experience there but if your school uses parchment or whatever other e-delivering service for transcripts like most do, it doesn't take that long. I think when I applied to my current school as a transfer, my transcripts were sent via parchment in about 3 days. You should be fine waiting till your transcript is updated then requesting.
Right, but I'm wondering what my AMCAS would look like if my transcripts are sent off before the grades come in.

Members don't see this ad :)
Depends what your GPA is like and whether you've already taken most of your science credits.

When filling out AMCAS, you should order an official transcript to refer to while you fill out the academic section. The grades will be listed as in-progress. You can't change those and it isn't mandatory to manually contact schools about your grades. The school you end up going to will request the final transcript as part of the matriculation process.

Depends what your GPA is like and whether you've already taken most of your science credits.

When filling out AMCAS, you should order an official transcript to refer to while you fill out the academic section. The grades will be listed as in-progress. You can't change those and it isn't mandatory to manually contact schools about your grades. The school you end up going to will request the final transcript as part of the matriculation process.
have like a 3.7 bcpm from college but might get anywhere from 3.65-3.85 this sem, pharmacology is tough :rofl: These are DIY postbacc higher level science electives, I've already done all my pre reqs in undergrad

probably wont help me too much to wait for the grades to be posted, so I think I'll just submit the transcript request May 1 and get a copy then too. Worst case I'll just update them on my secondaries if the grades turn out well

have like a 3.7 bcpm from college but might get anywhere from 3.65-3.85 this sem, pharmacology is tough :rofl: These are DIY postbacc higher level science electives, I've already done all my pre reqs in undergrad

probably wont help me too much to wait for the grades to be posted, so I think I'll just submit the transcript request May 1 and get a copy then too. Worst case I'll just update them on my secondaries if the grades turn out well
Yeah that GPA is fine. It is for students who need to show an upward trend where it becomes an issue.

Just ask the registrar to hold delivery until after grades are reported. I presume if you get all A's this semester, you want them to count in GPA calculations when we screen your application. We don't do updates well.

Reactions: 1 users
Just ask the registrar to hold delivery until after grades are reported. I presume if you get all A's this semester, you want them to count in GPA calculations.
it's gonna be close but I think it'll be between 3.65-3.85, which I don't think does much for my 3.7 bcpm. These are DIY post bacc courses in higher level sciences btw

it's gonna be close but I think it'll be between 3.65-3.85, which I don't think does much for my 3.7 bcpm. These are DIY post bacc courses in higher level sciences btw
The rule is "send a complete application early." Don't give anyone a reason to wonder why you were premature with your submission. You never know what that may hurt your standing. I don't know your app, but the more upper levels with grades, the better.

The rule is "send a complete application early." Don't give anyone a reason to wonder why you were premature with your submission. You never know what that may hurt your standing. I don't know your app, but the more upper levels with grades, the better.
I see, do you really think adcoms may take several "in progress" grades as hiding something?

I see, do you really think adcoms may take several "in progress" grades as hiding something?
I think his point is that it could raise an eyebrow, whereas just sending the complete one gets rid of that possibility entirely. This entire process hinges on many extraneous subjective things, why add another for no reason. Especially in this case where waiting till mid-May for the transcript update isn't likely to prevent you from submitting your app day 1 anyways.

Reactions: 2 users
I think his point is that it could raise an eyebrow, whereas just sending the complete one gets rid of that possibility entirely. This entire process hinges on many extraneous subjective things, why add another for no reason. Especially in this case where waiting till mid-May for the transcript update isn't likely to prevent you from submitting your app day 1 anyways.
I understand and agree with the reasoning in OP's situation since he's on a semester schedule and the transcript release in mid May should not delay his primary application in any way. What about those of us on a quarter system who have a complete application and would like to submit on the first 1-2 days, but whose transcripts with spring grades would only be available towards mid June? Assuming one has completed most of the prereqs plus some upper level electives, what is the risk/reward ratio of submitting on the first day (May 31st, to ensure quick verification timeline) with transcript showing Spring grades in progress vs waiting till almost mid June for a transcript with Spring Quarter grades and much slower verification? GPA shifts are not really a big concern since one quarter isn't really going to move the needle all that much. Would really appreciate some reasoned opinions on this balancing act.

I understand and agree with the reasoning in OP's situation since he's on a semester schedule and the transcript release in mid May should not delay his primary application in any way. What about those of us on a quarter system who have a complete application and would like to submit on the first 1-2 days, but whose transcripts with spring grades would only be available towards mid June? Assuming one has completed most of the prereqs plus some upper level electives, what is the risk/reward ratio of submitting on the first day (May 31st, to ensure quick verification timeline) with transcript showing Spring grades in progress vs waiting till almost mid June for a transcript with Spring Quarter grades and much slower verification? GPA shifts are not really a big concern since one quarter isn't really going to move the needle all that much. Would really appreciate some reasoned opinions on this balancing act.
Those on a quarter system do not have to wait and can send the transcript with their complete winter grades.

Those on the more common semester system I recommend to request your transcript any time BUT ask the registrar to send it as soon as the Spring 2023 grades are final.

I would defer to @wysdoc on this one, I have no experience with the quarter system.

Just to emphasize, I am a pre-med like yourself so my advice should be taken with a grain of salt, but in the quarter system like your scenario I wouldn't delay for transcripts unless I needed to continue proving an upward trend or needed to show some certain class that I did poorly in in the past. I would imagine adcom members are reasonably experienced in quarter system timelines and I doubt that not having spring quarter grades on a transcript is a concern. Basically, the exact reason that not having spring grades sent for the semester might raise an eyebrow (they should be out by then) would be the exact reason not having spring grades for the quarter system wouldn't (they are not out at submission time).

No, but if they were for grades for spring, we could wonder about your judgment in not waiting.

I would wait even if you were on the quarter system, like the California and many Ivy schools. Make every grade count.

No, but if they were for grades for spring, we could wonder about your judgment in not waiting.

I would wait even if you were on the quarter system, like the California and many Ivy schools. Make every grade count.

Thanks for your great advice, just found out today a heavy curve in pharmacology will likely get me an A in the class so a 4.00 for the sem, so I definitely will be requesting my college transcript from the registrar with the option of releasing after spring grades are uploaded.

Bumping this as I would really appreciate more reasoned opinions on the pros and cons of submitting as early as possible with Spring Quarter grades listed on the transcript as 'in progress' vs waiting till mid June for a complete 2023 transcript. My university works on the quarter system and I already have slightly more than 90 semester equivalents of course credit up till Winter Quarter (without counting Spring Quarter grades). Thanks in advance for any helpful advice.

Bumping this as I would really appreciate more reasoned opinions on the pros and cons of submitting as early as possible with Spring Quarter grades listed on the transcript as 'in progress' vs waiting till mid June for a complete 2023 transcript. My university works on the quarter system and I already have slightly more than 90 semester equivalents of course credit up till Winter Quarter (without counting Spring Quarter grades). Thanks in advance for any helpful advice.
Quarter system applicants may apply with complete Winter Quarter grades.

Only Semester System applicants MUST wait for those Spring Term grades. It only makes a few days difference and will allow your app to be processed smoothly. You can put in the request to your registrar NOW and check a box saying "send transcripts when Spring term grades are final."

more reasoned opinions on the pros and cons of submitting as early as possible with Spring Quarter grades listed on the transcript as 'in progress' vs waiting till mid June for a complete 2023 transcript
@wysdoc and I have our experience to guide us. I know the programs I have been involved with have been high volume, and we would start almost as soon as applications are released. I agree many of us really don't have a strong opinion about In Progress. Maybe our faculty admissions leadership team might tell us to put those applications on hold until we get the spring grades. Sometimes they will let us continue processing.

I wish there were more of a reason, but you have 140+ schools who do things their own way for whatever reason they like.

Read