When to NOT rank a competitive program #1 ?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JimBone905

OMS4
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Got an interview at very good program with only 5-10% of interns last year being DO's that seems too good to be true based on my stats.

Even if I impress them in the interview, would I have a chance of matching if i placed them as #1? What do I need to look at in a program to assess whether or not i can match?

Members don't see this ad.

Bump this.

Thought the match always benefit the applicant's rank list first but will let someone else confirm.

Reactions: 2 users
Always rank your true list not where you perceive you have a better chance. The way the algorithm works, it benefits the applicants most when comparing them to the programs.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
If you want to go there then rank them 1.

Do NOT rank programs based on where you think you have the best chance. Rank programs purely based on where you want to go, period.

• Love
Reactions: 14 users
You’re only hurting yourself if you drop the rank lower because you don’t think you have a chance.

Reactions: 2 users
Thank you everyone. I'll rank it #1.

My only concern is if i dont get into this "reach", then i would not match at my #2. How likely is that, hypothetically, if I didnt match at the reach program even though I put it as #1?

Got an interview at very good program with only 5-10% of interns last year being DO's that seems too good to be true based on my stats.

Even if I impress them in the interview, would I have a chance of matching if i placed them as #1? What do I need to look at in a program to assess whether or not i can match?
This is not medical school. When you interview at a program you're assessing them almost as much as their assessing you. Do you want to go to this program? Does it meet your career/life goals?* The most "competitive" program on your list might not meet this criteria better than another program. To answer the question in your title, you don't rank a competitive program #1 when you'd rather go to another residency program because it suits you better for whatever reason is most important to you.

*This is not to say that if a program doesn't meet your career/life goals you shouldn't rank them or interview at them, just not at #1. The only time you shouldn't rank is a program is if you are willing to go unmatched rather than go to a specific program.

Thank you everyone. I'll rank it #1.

My only concern is if i dont get into this "reach", then i would not match at my #2. How likely is that, hypothetically, if I didnt match at the reach program even though I put it as #1?
That’s not how it works. If you don’t match your #1 and your number 2 fills in that theoretical cycle then it runs again and as long as you were ranked higher on your number 2 programs list than at least one of those theoretical people that matched the first cycle then you would bump them from a match and you’d match number 2. It’s why the algorithm is important.

Reactions: 4 users
That’s not how it works. If you don’t match your #1 and your number 2 fills in that theoretical cycle then it runs again and as long as you were ranked higher on your number 2 programs list than at least one of those theoretical people that matched the first cycle then you would bump them from a match and you’d match number 2. It’s why the algorithm is important.
This lol.

Reactions: 1 user