When to get married during M4(in your opinion)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tealeafexplorer

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
1) Month of February a month before match day

2) Late march after match day

3) April/May before graduation

4) May/June after graduation before intern year

Also was planning the honeymoon after graduation before intern year for a nice vaca.

LMK your opinions. I've read some previous threads on reddit of most people thinking february before match day, as after match day you could be dissapointed of where you matched, or GOD FORBID SOAPing.

Members don't see this ad.

I vote either after match day or after graduation. If you can do wedding then honeymoon well in advance of moving for residency then do everything after you graduate.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Depends on if your SO is a med student. I’d say anytime unless he/she is... in which case, might be wisest to wait until after match day to see if you guys were able to couples match successfully. If there’s a chance you two have to soap into positions on opposite sides of the country, and it turns out you don’t do long distance well, it would suck to be already married to that person.

Source: a long distance marriage that ended in divorce.

Reactions: 1 user
Depends on if your SO is a med student. I’d say anytime unless he/she is... in which case, might be wisest to wait until after match day to see if you guys were able to couples match successfully. If there’s a chance you two have to soap into positions on opposite sides of the country, and it turns out you don’t do long distance well, it would suck to be already married to that person.

Source: a long distance marriage that ended in divorce.

Dang Im sorry that happened.

My fiance is not a med student, and is planning on moving with me to wherever I go for residency.

You think whenever is probably fine?

Depends if you’re moving, how far away are you moving.

I’d do 1. you should have some free time before match day.... anything after that can be very stressful.
It may actually be the last time in your life that you won’t have any “real” responsibility.

Ranking list done, nothing but a waiting game. It’s not like you’re still doing anything that will change the outcome.

Depends if you’re moving, how far away are you moving.

I’d do 1. you should have some free time before match day.... anything after that can be very stressful.
It may actually be the last time in your life that you won’t have any “real” responsibility.

Ranking list done, nothing but a waiting game. It’s not like you’re still doing anything that will change the outcome.

Thanks for the response, thats what I was thinking as well.

I probably will be moving far away for residency lol

Dang Im sorry that happened.

My fiance is not a med student, and is planning on moving with me to wherever I go for residency.

You think whenever is probably fine?

Yeah, I really do. The timing isn’t that big a deal, at least in my opinion, if you know you’re not going to be separated at any point.

Every wedding (n=3) I’ve been to/in in m4 was after graduation (literally The weekend after) this allowed to enjoy both occasions separately, and to have time for a decent honeymoon. That being said, really depends on type of wedding, small/intimate can be anytime; mid to large size with lots of moving parts anytime of you have a wedding planner or anyone other than you to make decisions so you can enjoy the day, if you need to be involved heavily would recommend after match so at least there’s less stress .

I got married right at the end of my MS3/beginning of my MS4 year. While the quick engagement/turn around time was more about couples matching it was nice to start out the marriage with a relaxed few months to just be with each other. My 0.02 says do it before match and enjoy the (hopefully) relaxed few months as newlyweds before you get chucked into the meat grinder that is intern year.

After the COVID vaccine is the real answer here.

But really after interviews are done before internship is the window to do it. Anytime based on whether and whatever month you want. Unless you really care about being Dr. OP on your wedding day, it won’t matter much.

Reactions: 1 users
I'm also planning my wedding for M4 (SO is not a med student). I agree with February time. I originally was going to do it post-match but we got engaged before M3 and I didn't want to have a 2+ year engagement personally, just didn't see the point in waiting so we're doing it towards the end of interview season once things start to die down a bit. I also thought right after match could be a gamble depending on whether I turned out happy with the results lol. I think February would work well!

Best time is when you’re not still stuck doing rotations as an M4.

with covid things are too unpredictable though

Way more important than med school related is where you are getting married and what the weather is like. I’d base it off weather related venue stuff than med school. Any of those dates would work though.

I would say after Match Day. You won't be as stressed, the weather isn't horrible, and you can adjust your registry based on if you are moving.

I wouldn't count on having a normal wedding/honeymoon/match season/graduation for at least the next two years.

In a normal year, option 3 or 4 depending on what school obligations you have post-match.