When to get a dog?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ilovecostco

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
When is the best time to get a dog in DR residency?

Would it be R4 because of the time required to study in R3, or would I be okay getting a dog PYG1 or R1?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Will you have help with the dog? As someone who got a dog in residency, I’d wait. Love the dog. But, one of the worst decisions I’ve ever made. Should have waited til married with kids when freedom is already limited.

I mean people have kids (multiple sometimes) in residency and that’s way more disruptive than a dog. If you want a dog get one. (It’s just more expensive if you are busy because of the need for a kennel or walker)

Members don't see this ad :)
I guess an important question is what dog breed? A hyper medium/large dog is a lot different than a chill small dog. A walk around the block tires out a small dog. Takes a lot more than that to tire out a bigger dog.

When is the best time to get a dog in DR residency?

Would it be R4 because of the time required to study in R3, or would I be okay getting a dog PYG1 or R1?

R1 year is pretty chill at my program and some of my co-residents got puppies during their R1 year.

Please adopt a rescue! So so many out there that need homes, even purebreds if you want them. I went through Tattered Paws and Golden Hearts A Golden Retriever Rescue. They have lots and transport all over the country.