When to apply

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NDEyeGuy

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello. This is my first post and I've searched the archives, but couldn't find a similar question.

Basically, I have recently made the decision to go to optometry school. Therefore, I have zero volunteer hours. However, I am on super good terms with my optometrist and will have no problem shadowing him and getting a good rec.

I have just started studying for the OAT and can devote all the time I need to it for the next month until school starts.

I do not know when to take the OAT, as in how long I should study for it. Also, I do not know when to apply to Optometry schools. Obviously, the earlier the better, but that will depend on when I take the OAT and after I complete the application.

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I think you answered your own question. Your preparation for the OAT depends on your study habits (how much studying can you do a day?) and your knowledge of the different subject matters. After that, apply.

You said it yourself, the sooner, the better.

Members don't see this ad :)
Cant you apply before you write the OAT?

Yes, I think you usually can. I did. You just have to make sure that your application is strong enough for an initial consideration without the OAT score.

I would recommend taking the OAT during non-peak seasons, ie. NOT june,july, or august. I would recommend taking the OAT after exam periods during the school year so you are already in that exam-writing mindset as well as having certain subjects fresh in your head. As for applying, you should aim to apply in september or october. The process of gettin an interview and being notified if you've been accepted or not often drags on. The longer you wait, the smaller your chances become.

aDubs or anyone else,
You recommend taking the OAT during non-peak seasons ie NOT June, July, or August. Why not? And, what do you mean by non-peak seasons? I am curious as to why this is your recommendation and what you mean by this. Are there peak seasons for writing the OAT that can affect your scores?

I do not understand this either. I took my OAT last August and it thought it was perfect. I was able to devote all of my time to studying for the OAT. I took a month off work and did only OAT studying, I did great. I recommend that.