When to apply?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pre Opt Student

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys I am new to this so just wondering when people normally send out applications? I was worried about applying early but it seems like alot of people apply later on in the year. So now im maybe thinking of applying to a few schools early and a few schools after my first semester next year, around january. will this decrease my chances of getting in by alot - should i wait and increase my gpa a bit maybe..or apply early to all the schools??

Members don't see this ad.

Hi...first and foremost..Welcome to the forums......now to the answer to your question.....APPLY EARLY as possible....I cannot stress this enough. Good luck :thumbup:

Welcome! =)
I think it has a lot to do with your grades and how well your OATs are (if you've taken it at this point). If you feel confident in both of those areas, and you've got some good research/volunteer/work experience, then you should be able to gauge how many schools you can get an interview with. Also, it may help to rank the schools in order of preference, cost, location, just a pros and cons list, I guess! This is how I'm doing it! Good luck!:)

Members don't see this ad :)
I guess I will decide depending on how things go this summer..right now my gpa is around 3.0. Im hoping on scoring really high on the OATs to make up for my gpa. I am in the process of retaking chem and im taking organic chem this summer. Also..depending on how well the OAT goes in August. I definately have ALOT of volunteer and research experience..Im also currently shadowing optometrists and should have shadowed at 3 different clinics this summer...soo i guess i will see in august how these two courses go and the OAT...hopefully ill be ready in september to apply so i dont miss out on any opportunities :)

ASAP! As soon as admissions starts, have ur app ready and send it off!