When to apply

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cubbyphan

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I scanned through the forum to see if this has been covered already, and also looked at the USMLE website but I couldn't find anything. How far in advance do you typically register for Step 2 (both parts)?

Members don't see this ad.

For CS, your eligibility period is one year from the time of payment, so you can do that pretty far in advance. CK is just like step 1, you specify a three month period in which you want to take it. I don't know how far in advance of that 3 month period you can register, but I think it's at least 6 months.

I would register as far in advance as you can afford (availability of loans, etc.). Depending on where you live, test dates fill up quickly. This is probably most important for CS, with only 6 sites in the country. Also, time from application to ability to register for a specific date is a few weeks (this may be changing soon with fully computerized registrations).

Point is, don't wait to sign up for these. If you know your schedule, and have chosen an ideal date, sign up as early as you possibly can.

I would register as far in advance as you can afford (availability of loans, etc.). Depending on where you live, test dates fill up quickly. This is probably most important for CS, with only 6 sites in the country. Also, time from application to ability to register for a specific date is a few weeks (this may be changing soon with fully computerized registrations).

Point is, don't wait to sign up for these. If you know your schedule, and have chosen an ideal date, sign up as early as you possibly can.

I agree. As soon as you have a good idea of what your schedule is going to look like, sign up for CS. You are more likely to get your preferred site and date by doing so. Plus, it takes about two months to get your scores back. If you should fail the test, you want to give yourself enough time to retake it and still graduate on time.